The Cheap Ass Gaming Thread.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel like a thread like should be in the buy/sale/trade section but regardless, we don't have a place to discuss the finer points of cheap gaming. Things like sales, the best places to trade, keeping the old console fresh and those ever famous third party and knockoff controllers. I can see this thread as being a place where people compare their notes on the cheap things they buy. What do you guys think?

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Injustice: Gods Among Us - Ultimate Edition on Amazon right now for $14.99
e1nk4ye.png

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
You really can't get much cheaper than humble bundles. Granted, they're rarely AAA-titles (though they DO happen), but there are some quality gems among them.

Other than that: steam has all sorts of discounts pretty much throughout the year, and GoG often has them as well (not to forget that those games are usually cheap to begin with due to their age). There's also bundlestars. From my experience, these go mostly quantity over quality...but with such low prices you can't really expect much.

Then there's the occasional giveaway (like AvP 2000 on GoG and payday on steam).

Last but not least: the google play store. Gaming on a mobile device or tablet is a different experience, but not really less fun. And way cheaper (I'd say "free", but that isn't entirely true in every sense of the word).

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shifting the conversation a little. Anybody have any thoughts on what knockoff or third party controllers are the best? I had a pink and blue KO Wii Remote. The blue one died after three years (Last Friday) so I swapped boards so that there could be a matching Wii console and controller at my in-laws. Most of the knockoffs Ive played with felt pretty well but I do wonder which ones are better than others. BTW, yes I know we get what we pay for but this is a thread about cheap ass gaming lol

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Early this year I decided I needed some cheapass handheld gaming, and the 3DS was still well out of the cheapass range, especially as this was before Gateway got multirom. I picked up a used DS and bought a flashcard, figuring as I'd never had a DS before the huge DS game library would keep me busy for a long time until 3DSs were cheaper.

Couple of months later I caved and bought a 3DS.

endoverend

AKA zooksman
Trophies
Website
zooksman.com
XP
Country
United States
For all of that, you might as well buy a cheap Android tab and emulate both consoles.

There's something to be said for physical controls-- a good Bluetooth controller or an actually decent USB controller will cost you, and Bluetooth is shaky, and non-first-party USB controllers often break easily or have lag or bad analog sticks. The built-in PSP controls plus small size and portability are pretty nice.

vayanui8

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For all of that, you might as well buy a cheap Android tab and emulate both consoles.
A cheap one won't emulate the PSP very well, and it would cost a lot more when you factor in a controller. You're better off just getting a PSP, an adapter to cut down memory costs and get CFW. If you want both libraries a DS isn't expensive either and both combined will come out cheaper than a tablet that plays things well when you consider other costs.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NEWS!!!

First, Five Below stores are selling Skylander toys this holiday and I mean the ones that work with the games!

Capture.PNG

Secondly, Humble Bundle is giving away FREE copies of Metro 2033 today. Hurry before time runs out!

Capture1.PNG

garbanzox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently bought a used nVidia Shield for $175. I've already gained 2x the cost back by selling a GBA-SP ($93 on eBay!!), a GB Pocket, and a dozen game carts. I'll still make a couple hundred selling my remaining carts, another $130 for my modded GBA, and $100 for my modded GB.

I also got a DolphinBar for $16 and a GameCube-to-USB adapter for about the same price, and plan to sell my Wii and GameCube for another $120 back.

I used to be big into "original hardware" and flash carts and all the rest. Now I settle for emulation, and all the $$ I make back selling off games and systems will go towards other hobbies like LEGO and comics :D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: +1