The Cheap Ass Gaming Thread.

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by LightyKD, Nov 4, 2014.

1. LightyKD
    OP

LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    Angel Grove, CA
    I feel like a thread like should be in the buy/sale/trade section but regardless, we don't have a place to discuss the finer points of cheap gaming. Things like sales, the best places to trade, keeping the old console fresh and those ever famous third party and knockoff controllers. I can see this thread as being a place where people compare their notes on the cheap things they buy. What do you guys think?

2. endoverend

endoverend AKA zooksman

GBAtemp Patron
    endoverend is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    Humble bundle...

3. Densetsu

Densetsu Pubic Ninja

Former Staff
    Feb 2, 2008
    United States
    Wouldn't YOU like to know?
  4. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    You really can't get much cheaper than humble bundles. Granted, they're rarely AAA-titles (though they DO happen), but there are some quality gems among them.

Other than that: steam has all sorts of discounts pretty much throughout the year, and GoG often has them as well (not to forget that those games are usually cheap to begin with due to their age). There's also bundlestars. From my experience, these go mostly quantity over quality...but with such low prices you can't really expect much.

Then there's the occasional giveaway (like AvP 2000 on GoG and payday on steam).

Last but not least: the google play store. Gaming on a mobile device or tablet is a different experience, but not really less fun. And way cheaper (I'd say "free", but that isn't entirely true in every sense of the word).

5. Densetsu

Densetsu Pubic Ninja

Former Staff
    Feb 2, 2008
    United States
    Wouldn't YOU like to know?
    Humble bundles/Steam sales are pretty obvious, but not everyone has migrated to the "PC master race," yet.

6. BORTZ

BORTZ You get a hat, and YOU get a hat!

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    BORTZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    Also Gog.com has cheap games all the time, but again thats for PC.

7. WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    Meh, bought this for the Wii U thinking it would've been a great fighting game but it was rather simplistic and generic thankfully I didn't pay much for it or I'd have felt ripped off.

8. LightyKD
    OP

Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    Angel Grove, CA
    Shifting the conversation a little. Anybody have any thoughts on what knockoff or third party controllers are the best? I had a pink and blue KO Wii Remote. The blue one died after three years (Last Friday) so I swapped boards so that there could be a matching Wii console and controller at my in-laws. Most of the knockoffs Ive played with felt pretty well but I do wonder which ones are better than others. BTW, yes I know we get what we pay for but this is a thread about cheap ass gaming lol

9. hippy dave

hippy dave BBMB

Apr 30, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Early this year I decided I needed some cheapass handheld gaming, and the 3DS was still well out of the cheapass range, especially as this was before Gateway got multirom. I picked up a used DS and bought a flashcard, figuring as I'd never had a DS before the huge DS game library would keep me busy for a long time until 3DSs were cheaper.

Couple of months later I caved and bought a 3DS.

10. endoverend

endoverend AKA zooksman

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    PSP's are cheap these days and have more media support than DS natively and via homebrew.

nxwing likes this.
  11. LightyKD
    OP

Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    Angel Grove, CA
    For all of that, you might as well buy a cheap Android tab and emulate both consoles.

12. endoverend

endoverend AKA zooksman

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    There's something to be said for physical controls-- a good Bluetooth controller or an actually decent USB controller will cost you, and Bluetooth is shaky, and non-first-party USB controllers often break easily or have lag or bad analog sticks. The built-in PSP controls plus small size and portability are pretty nice.

13. vayanui8

vayanui8 GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 11, 2013
    United States
    A cheap one won't emulate the PSP very well, and it would cost a lot more when you factor in a controller. You're better off just getting a PSP, an adapter to cut down memory costs and get CFW. If you want both libraries a DS isn't expensive either and both combined will come out cheaper than a tablet that plays things well when you consider other costs.

14. LightyKD
    OP

Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    Angel Grove, CA
    NEWS!!!

First, Five Below stores are selling Skylander toys this holiday and I mean the ones that work with the games!

[​IMG]

Secondly, Humble Bundle is giving away FREE copies of Metro 2033 today. Hurry before time runs out!

[​IMG]

15. GameWinner

GameWinner Take your heart

Jun 14, 2009
    United States
    Trade in GTA V for PS3 or 360 and get $30 off the current gen versions at Target.

16. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    Link to the humble bundle offer.

Gotta admit it's a great game given away for free (even though I never got around to finishing it). Still...with the redux bundle at 50% (so 20 bucks for the remastered versions of Metro and Last light+ (iirc) all their DLC), I think that would be the better offer. :)

Satangel likes this.
  17. LightyKD
    OP

Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    Angel Grove, CA
  18. endoverend

endoverend AKA zooksman

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
  19. garbanzox

garbanzox GBAtemp Regular

Jan 9, 2014
    United States
    I recently bought a used nVidia Shield for $175. I've already gained 2x the cost back by selling a GBA-SP ($93 on eBay!!), a GB Pocket, and a dozen game carts. I'll still make a couple hundred selling my remaining carts, another $130 for my modded GBA, and $100 for my modded GB.

I also got a DolphinBar for $16 and a GameCube-to-USB adapter for about the same price, and plan to sell my Wii and GameCube for another $120 back.

I used to be big into "original hardware" and flash carts and all the rest. Now I settle for emulation, and all the $$ I make back selling off games and systems will go towards other hobbies like LEGO and comics :D

20. vayanui8

vayanui8 GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 11, 2013
    United States
    Humble Bundle is giving away teleglitch die more edition for free