The Bill That Could End Internet Privacy

  • Thread starter Thread starter Gahars
  • Start date Start date
  • Views Views 11,198
  • Replies Replies 53
I'm really tired so please excuse me if I don't have this right. So if someone else got busted for a crime, how would they know it was you? Are you saying your friend gets busted and a confession comes out saying it was you? But then wouldn't they have to prove you did it and not some virus? Since an IP doesn't equal a person wouldn't those logs would be useless without browsing data tying it to you? Let me see if I can get a better understanding from projecting a hypothetical situation:

OK, in my network, all devices share the same IP. Now, given the possible of routers being hacked how easy would it be to get away with just saying "I don't know, either it was a virus or someone cracked my network", Unless ISP's log MAC addresses now (Which I wouldn't know about), how would they prove it was you? What I'm trying to say is, (if known) what specifically is logged and what provisions does this bill contain that would allow ISP IP logging (AFAIK) to be incriminating evidence if illegal material is found?

The bill doesn't require much of evidence to view your private data, you just have to be suspected for the crime. Whether you get imprisoned or not is a different matter. The prosecutor would have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt you are guilty of the crime, and like you said it's really hard to pinpoint the crime. Then It would just be wasting the taxpayers' monies on a baseless prosecution.

To really prove it to some certainty I feel it would at least require finding the accused in possession of the material to really show anything. You certainly don't have to prove it beyond a shadow of a doubt, but basing your case on slightly ambiguous evidence such as IP logs etc, makes it hard to prove a crime beyond a reasonable doubt. And if it doesn't allow IP logging to be used as evidence, it shows even greater redundancy of the bill. I don't see how this would help the courts.

Furthermore, I believe it's in contravention of US citizens' constitutional liberties. Recording everyone's internet history is obviously in violation of privacy. I don't see how this can pass and not get struck down by the courts.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 person
If this passes *because those *********** bunch of m****** just want some money* *looking at U.S right now...* i'll formerly support all the *illegal* causes they (US government) are objecting right now.

This time, I really hope the whole world puts an end to things like this, happening over and over, over the US congress.-
 
I'm really tired so please excuse me if I don't have this right. So if someone else got busted for a crime, how would they know it was you? Are you saying your friend gets busted and a confession comes out saying it was you? But then wouldn't they have to prove you did it and not some virus? Since an IP doesn't equal a person wouldn't those logs would be useless without browsing data tying it to you? Let me see if I can get a better understanding from projecting a hypothetical situation:

OK, in my network, all devices share the same IP. Now, given the possible of routers being hacked how easy would it be to get away with just saying "I don't know, either it was a virus or someone cracked my network", Unless ISP's log MAC addresses now (Which I wouldn't know about), how would they prove it was you? What I'm trying to say is, (if known) what specifically is logged and what provisions does this bill contain that would allow ISP IP logging (AFAIK) to be incriminating evidence if illegal material is found?

The bill doesn't require much of evidence to view your private data, you just have to be suspected for the crime. Whether you get imprisoned or not is a different matter. The prosecutor would have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt you are guilty of the crime, and like you said it's really hard to pinpoint the crime. Then It would just be wasting the taxpayers' monies on a baseless prosecution.

To really prove it to some certainty I feel it would at least require finding the accused in possession of the material to really show anything. You certainly don't have to prove it beyond a shadow of a doubt, but basing your case on slightly ambiguous evidence such as IP logs etc, makes it hard to prove a crime beyond a reasonable doubt. And if it doesn't allow IP logging to be used as evidence, it shows even greater redundancy of the bill. I don't see how this would help the courts.

Furthermore, I believe it's in contravention of US citizens' constitutional liberties. Recording everyone's internet history is obviously in violation of privacy. I don't see how this can pass and not get struck down by the courts.
It is, atually, quite difficult, It's a fight between freedom and laws/regulations...

Okey, so let's put it very simple, freedom, do whatever you want anytime you want(consider murders, child porn, etc)... Now laws... The law is the base of order, it is created to form and unify a community, it's basically "you can do whatever you want, whenever you want.... BUT some few things(to protect human rights, as example).
But... What the hell happens when our freedom exceed regulations or law it self...? Easy, they get desperate, create some new dumb bill to put a stop to these acts(more than freedom, it's just sick...)

The law just doesn't impose whatever they want, just to fuck ppl in their nations, it is regulation indeed... but.... at what cost?
Their answer: "Let's fuck everyone, so we ensure that no one will ever do something bad(or infringe any law)
 
I remind you, if you really oppose the terms of this bill, then contact your Representative in the House; forum rage means nothing if you don't speak out where those that vote can hear you. Make sure that your Representative understands the dangers of this bill, both to the internet and to his chances of reelection.

And to show that I am walking the walk, here's the message I sent.

*Name of Representative*,

As one of your constituents, I appreciate your stance against the Stop Online Piracy Act. However, a new piece of legislation is making its way through the House that, if passed, could be even more damaging to freedom on the internet.

It is called "The Protecting Children from Internet Pornographers Act of 2011". While I am sympathetic to its goals (eliminating child pornography on the internet), its terms are worrisome. Under the Bill, the firm that sells a person's internet access would be required to track all of their internet activity and save it for 18 months, along with the person's name, address, bank account numbers, credit card numbers, and IP addresses they've been assigned. Even worse, the bill does not require that someone be under investigation on child pornography charges in order for the police to have access to their internet history. Police do not need probable cause to search this information.

This bill, though well intentioned, poises a grave threat to the preservation of a free and open internet. I hope you will oppose this dangerous piece of legislation and any others with similar terms.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
*My Name*

All it takes is just a few minutes of your time; your vote is valuable, so they will be more than willing to listen. If you need help finding your Representative, you can use this website.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 person
Thanks for the concern, but im note raging at all, just trying to explain to my self the why and how(of course, i posted it cause i learned a lot of your comments, every day you learn something new) and, as you said, every vote counts, im sure we all agree with that, and thanks again, for the links and info :3
 
Thanks for the concern, but im note raging at all, just trying to explain to my self the why and how(of course, i posted it cause i learned a lot of your comments, every day you learn something new) and, as you said, every vote counts, im sure we all agree with that, and thanks again, for the links and info :3

Oh don't worry, that wasn't targeted at you specifically. Whenever there is a thread like this, there is a ton of rage thrown in the direction of the US government.

Is a lot of it unwarranted? Not necessarily, but it's not really productive either. I'm just reminding people that there is a positive way to channel that outrage.
 
I wonder when will americans reach the tipping point when they finally overthrow the government. Very unlikely though. Most are dumb fat and happy, watching American idol so things like liberty and privacy are not important.
 
The congressmen and women have been replying to those letters with a "NANANA Can't hear you NANANANA Gonna do it anyway NANANA" response. That or they'll say something like "But what about theour children?!" just to shut you up. I predict a lot of senators prematurely getting the boot in 2012.

The law just doesn't impose whatever they want, just to fuck ppl in their nations, it is regulation indeed... but.... at what cost?
Their answer: "Let's fuck everyone, so we ensure that no one will ever do something bad(or infringe any law)
Naw, more like "so we can make sure no one dies a virgin!" :D

To the person talking about the assumption of guilt, at least we don't use the Xinjiang procedure to deal with people. (caution: very evil/unethical - might not want to look it up)


I wonder when will americans reach the tipping point when they finally overthrow the government. Very unlikely though. Most are dumb fat and happy, watching American idol so things like liberty and privacy are not important.
It's already happening. There's a lot of new recall ballots coming out. If the new guys repeat the same... Gonna be some major hell to pay. (And they're just that sociopathic/short-sighted)
 
seems like the government seems pretty hellbent on controlling the internet mass media and won't stop until they get it.

wonder if this is a curcial first step of their New World Order plan..... :unsure:
"Old World Order" you mean? That describes the fuedal era, heh. :D

Oh, and mass media (broadcast opinions) is not the same as the media of the masses (personal speech or writing of opinions). Yeah, English has some sucky issues with double meanings.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 person

Site & Scene News