Hacking The BEST DS Lite flash cart?

Someothernameeeee

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, I know you guys probably get a lot of these, but I really need a current answer. I am looking to get a flash cart that is relatively cheap (No more than a DS game), sturdy (I don't want it to break), and it has little to no compatibility problems. When I search for what is the best card, I usually am getting threads from over a year ago, and I would like an up to date answer. I don't need one that supports the DSi either.

I've looked at EDGE, M3, Acekard, DSTT, CycloDS, and a couple others I can't remember the names of.

elixirdream

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Malaysia
CHEAP = ak2

MIDDLE RANGE (20 USD) = m3 it have features like RTS, slow motion

HIGHER RANGE (cost of a game or more) = cycloDS it have features identical to m3 and yes it supports wii connectivity
tongue.gif

basicailly, if features are not important to you then choose ak2
smile.gif

it is one of the best when it comes to rom compatibility (provided if you are using AKAIO as firmware)

EDIT: EDGE and DSTT is close to DEAD
tongue.gif

ConJ

The Toker
Trophies
Website
xat.com
XP
Country
Id go for an Acekard 2i, or an Acekard 2 if you dont need the DSi compability.

Then use the AKAIO 1.4.1 firmware (its better than the official one) This combination has great compatabilty.

Da-Bomb1

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Homebrew games tend to be pretty small. The very biggest DS ROM size is 256MB, but only one game is actually that big.
tongue.gif
I'd say the average size is about 64MB for a game. Some of the bigger ones are about 128. I'd say a 4GB card is probably enough, if you wanted to put a bunch of games and some musc, and maybe videos on it. Any smaller and you'll always be starved for more space, but the bigger ones tend to be a bit slower, and they cost more. A nice, cheap place to get one would be www.dealextreme.com

Takes awhile to ship them, but stuff there's really cheap.

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GET AN R4 GET AN R4!

Micro SD card sizes depend. If you want a lot of DS games, get a 1-4GB size card. For movies, and homebrew and all that, go for an 8GB

I was KIDDING about r4 btw. it sucks

DiegoCJ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I haven't played with my DS for about a year already because my flashcard is a pain in the a** and I want to buy a new one... but one that works!

My current card (G6 Lite) has lots of compatibility issues and that is why I haven't played my DS for so long, I just can't stand the work it takes to make a ROM work properly...

I don't care about GBA compatibility, I don't care about homebrew and I don't care about fancy features... all I want is a flashcard that all I have to do is copy the ROM and play, without worrying about saves sizes, without worrying about slowdowns caused by the flashcard or SD card, without the need to patch the ROM (since I use a Mac, it is a pain to switch to Windows every time I need to add a new game to the card) or whatever new problems have arisen in the last year or so.

I don't care about price either all I want is a simple flashcard that doesn't give a headache every time a new game is released... all I want is that it works like I have a original game card on my DS.

From what I researched, is R4 the best one for me?

Da-Bomb1

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
DiegoCJ said:
I haven't played with my DS for about a year already because my flashcard is a pain in the a** and I want to buy a new one... but one that works!

My current card (G6 Lite) has lots of compatibility issues and that is why I haven't played my DS for so long, I just can't stand the work it takes to make a ROM work properly...

I don't care about GBA compatibility, I don't care about homebrew and I don't care about fancy features... all I want is a flashcard that all I have to do is copy the ROM and play, without worrying about saves sizes, without worrying about slowdowns caused by the flashcard or SD card, without the need to patch the ROM (since I use a Mac, it is a pain to switch to Windows every time I need to add a new game to the card) or whatever new problems have arisen in the last year or so.

I don't care about price either all I want is a simple flashcard that doesn't give a headache every time a new game is released... all I want is that it works like I have a original game card on my DS.

I'd say that the Acekard 2 would be your best bet. It's cheap, and it has nearly perfect ROM compatibility. But only when you use AKAIO...the official firmware sucks. If you don't mind waiting a few weeks, you can get one really cheap here:
http://dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.18728

It has all of the features you asked for in your post.

...and NO, stay away from the R4. All you can buy now are cheap knockoff clones.

DiegoCJ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Da-Bomb1 said:
DiegoCJ said:

I'd say that the Acekard 2 would be your best bet. It's cheap, and it has nearly perfect ROM compatibility. But only when you use AKAIO...the official firmware sucks. If you don't mind waiting a few weeks, you can get one really cheap here:

...and NO, stay away from the R4. All you can buy now are cheap knockoff clones.

So if I buy AceKard 2i and use the AKAIO firmware I won't have to use a client to send ROMs to the SD card? Sorry but I couldn't find this info, everything else seems fine to me...

Da-Bomb1

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
DiegoCJ said:
Da-Bomb1 said:

So if I buy AceKard 2i and use the AKAIO firmware I won't have to use a client to send ROMs to the SD card? Sorry but I couldn't find this info, everything else seems fine to me...
http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/index.php/AKAIO

Read that, it'll tell you everything you need to know.

...and as a quick answer to your question, all you need to do is just put any ROM, preferably clean, anywhere on the card. I just make a folder called "Games."

ConJ

The Toker
Trophies
Website
xat.com
XP
Country
Tomahawk214 said:
Thanks to the people who have inputted.

Also, what is a good size microSD card? I don't know how large DS/homebrew games are.

I have a 4GB card, and can fit between 50 and 60 DS games on there.

And to put games on an Acekard, it is literally drag and drop.

Schizoanalysis

From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
shadowhunter93 said:
GET AN R4 GET AN R4!

I was KIDDING about r4 btw. it sucks

I don't see why R4s get so much flack here. I have had my (genuine) R4 for 1-2 years, and it hasn't failed me yet. It has played every game I have thrown at it, and has never lost a save or crashed, etc... Hard core? Maybe not... Reliable? Absolutely!

The only reason I am getting a new card is microSD card size... When I bought my R4, 1-2GB cards cost enough... these days 4-8GB cards are standard.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: If you want a good system to port it to, at least have a good programmer and knowledge. +1