Hacking The BEST cIOS for USB loading

apoptygma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I've been using Hermes v4 (37+38 merge) and it plays everything I've thrown at it.
Kinda makes me wonder where waninkoko's becomes useful, I've got it installed on slot 249/250 but I *never* use it because it doesn't work properly with FAT32 or NTFS.
Wad installs, homebrew and 120+ games all tested with Hermes v4 (37+38 merge) and not a problem...

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
249 is there for homebrew and wad installs and stuff like it. especially for nand emulation, you need waninkoko's cios.

but yes i agree there is almost not a need for it. 249 does not support ntfs, the loader can use it to read the drive. waninkoko has said many times he will not support ntfs.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't a lot of homebrew rely on cIOS 249?

I know triiforce requires it, but I think that with "nand emulation", most people are just looking for a way to store more savegames/wiiware/VC/DLC than the nand's limit...and uloader can do all those things to (with a compatibility that is at least up to par to triiforce).

apoptygma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
burritoboy9984 said:
What is the question? And wanin's does support fat/ntfs...

-Erik

No question, Just a statment. I just know it's something people ask a lot and wanted to post my 2c

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hmm...if you want to answer questions like that with a single cIOS, you're simplifying things. What is the criteria for "the best"...sorry: "the BEST" cIOS? The amounts of games it can run? Because honestly, I think Waninkoko's cIOS can just as well run +120 games, both on FAT32 as WBFS*...but you'll need a good USB loader and configuration for it (no offense, but just because you can't get Waninkoko's cIOS to work on FAT doesn't mean it can't work on it).

When it comes to wii games, I think both cIOS'es can play most games (listing what each cIOS can't play would be harder to make).

I'd say version 5 of Hermes's cIOS is better than v4 because it can also play wiiware and VC (if you use uloader) and also plays DLC of music games (using v4 for rock band 2 will get you that dreaded outdated message).

I wouldn't dare comparing it to waninkoko's cIOS, though. Later revs don't work in triiforce, but that'll change when rev20 becomes public**. And it plays DLC just fine (alongside...probably every game I'll throw at it).

*I've heard that statement about Wanink's aversion towards NTFS as well, but not from a reliable source. So I won't comment on that.
**source: the author of triiforce_mrc himself

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Maybe