Hardware The 3DS should be able to play Game Cube games.

r3dfaction

Trophies
Website
phyzorg.wordpress.com
XP
Country
United States
giratina16 said:
Salax said:
I think this would be awesome, as long as it didn't make the thing ridiculously huge.

I think if the 3DS were to play GameCube games it would have massive bulk. I highly doubt it would ever be compatible with GC games.
I'm quite sure that there are small drives being made so it can still retain a slim look...

Snappo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
_Chaz_ said:
I doubt it, but N64 for sure, and perhaps even Playstation.

Nintendo is bound to release a few GameCube ports anyway, maybe even a LoZ/Mario collection ranging from the NES to the GameCube.

One can dream, one can dream.
You were kidding about the Playstation right? The PSP already does that.

r3dfaction

Trophies
Website
phyzorg.wordpress.com
XP
Country
United States
Arp1 said:
_Chaz_ said:
I doubt it, but N64 for sure, and perhaps even Playstation.

Nintendo is bound to release a few GameCube ports anyway, maybe even a LoZ/Mario collection ranging from the NES to the GameCube.

One can dream, one can dream.
You were kidding about the Playstation right? The PSP already does that.
Its not about wether its already been done, Sony will not single-handedly give nintendo the rights for a psx port. His post is obviously a yoke...

ryan90

Trophies
XP
Country
Well i recently bought i 8gb micro SD for £9 and put it along with another 8gb micro sd into a photofast ms-pro duo adapter which combined gave me a 16gb card, It takes about an hour and a half to download a one gigabyte game for my psp, Mario sunshine is about 800mb i believe so it would probably take about an hour.

I don't think that it such an incredibly long time, you can buy 8gb sd's for £9($13) and 16gb for £25($38) if you look in the right places, play.com usually has good deals

I think you guys should also notice that on the xbox360 you can download full games which are up to 8gb in size, this is easily done because they are resumable downloads. Also on the psp you can download full psp and ps1 games with games going upto 1.8gb. There is no reason why Nintendo couldn't have a download service for gc games if they wanted to at least on the wii.

If the 3ds used similar hardware to the gc like the wii does then they could run the games natively, im sure its possible

The only major problem i can think of is that the 3ds won't have enough buttons and they won't do it on the 3ds until they do it on the wii and come to think of it they could have also put a gba game service on the dsi conisdering it has an sd and they havn't.

I don't know why, seems like an easy way to make money but i know it takes a long time and alot of money to get licensing to have the games on there download service

The Darkness Wit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it where able to run GC disks it could have an accessory that looks like a CD player that could run GC disks and wirelessly connect to the 3DS via bluetooth.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The Darkness Within said:
If it where able to run GC disks it could have an accessory that looks like a CD player that could run GC disks and wirelessly connect to the 3DS via bluetooth.
Bluetooth doesn't have the transfer rate for that. There would be too much lag. I imagine It would also eat into the battery life too much.

The Darkness Wit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tk_saturn said:
Bluetooth doesn't have the transfer rate for that. There would be too much lag. I imagine It would also eat into the battery life too much.
Well than it could be wired and go into any port the 3DS uses.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I still think it wouldn't work. The 3DS won't be hardware compatible with Game Cube and it wont have enough power to smoothly emulate it.

There won't be enough people buying them to recoup the costs of the developing and manufactering gamecube addon hardware either. You don't see stacks of Gamecube games on the shelves. If people aren't buying new games, where are the benefits to Nintendo?

Instead they will have to be 'ports' as has already been discussed in this thread.

The only other real option is to have it link upto a Wii over WiFi, with game running on the Wii but displayed/ controlled on the 3DS. I'm not sure Wireless G has enough bandwidth for that either.

The Darkness Wit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tk_saturn said:
I still think it wouldn't work. The 3DS won't be hardware compatible with Game Cube and it wont have enough power to smoothly emulate it.

There won't be enough people buying them to recoup the costs of the developing and manufactering gamecube addon hardware either. You don't see stacks of Gamecube games on the shelves. If people aren't buying new games, where are the benefits to Nintendo?

Instead they will have to be 'ports' as has already been discussed in this thread.

The only other real option is to have it link upto a Wii over WiFi, with game running on the Wii but displayed/ controlled on the 3DS. I'm not sure Wireless G has enough bandwidth for that either.
Your first point is completely invalid. We have no idea what kind of tech the 3DS will use. Porting them might not be possible without making some major cuts. Currently DS cartridges can only hold about 512 MB(I assume the 3DS will use similar cartridges.) and GC games can go up to about 2 GB so porting them while maintaining the original look and feel of the games would be virtually impossible. As for the matter of cost Nintendo could resell the top selling GC games for the accessory with added 3D effects. This would cost very little on Nintendo's part since the games have already been made and they would have great sales like they did years ago. To summarize things up the accessory would "print money".

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
tk_saturn said:

Your first point is completely invalid. We have no idea what kind of tech the 3DS will use. Porting them might not be possible without making some major cuts. Currently DS cartridges can only hold about 512 MB(I assume the 3DS will use similar cartridges.) and GC games can go up to about 2 GB so porting them while maintaining the original look and feel of the games would be virtually impossible. As for the matter of cost Nintendo could resell the top selling GC games for the accessory with added 3D effects. This would cost very little on Nintendo's part since the games have already been made and they would have great sales like they did years ago. To summarize things up the accessory would "print money".

You seriously think the 3DS is going to be hardware compatible with the Nintendo 64 LOL.

Your post is BS. You seem to think the 3DS will be hardware compatible with the N64, You say my point that the 3DS won't be hardware compatible with the N64 is invalid. You then say "Porting them might not be possible without making some major cuts." Those two statements clearly contradict themselves, make your mind up! You really think 3DS will be limited to the same size carts as the DS, Why? of course it's not, even the DS carts have got larger and larger over the years. Elements of the GC images will be able to be compressed/ reduced in size. A 2GB cart? no problem, and you can guarentee the 3DS will at some point be using carts of 2GB.

The Darkness Wit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tk_saturn said:
tk_saturn said:

You seriously think the 3DS is going to be hardware compatible with the Nintendo 64 LOL.

Your post is BS. You seem to think the 3DS will be hardware compatible with the N64, You say my point that the 3DS won't be hardware compatible with the N64 is invalid. You then say "Porting them might not be possible without making some major cuts." Those two statements clearly contradict themselves, make your mind up! You really think 3DS will be limited to the same size carts as the DS, Why? of course it's not, even the DS carts have got larger and larger over the years.
*Facepalm* I said cartridge limitations not hardware limitations also where talking about the Gamecube not the N64.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'll tell you what, lets wait a year and we will soon see you are wrong. Yes I meant GC instead of N64, but I have N64 on the brain.

Sony had PS2 hardware support in the PS3 and we know what happened to that.

The Darkness Wit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tk_saturn said:
I'll tell you what, that's wait a year and we will soon see you are wrong.
I never said it is likely to be made only that it would be successful. Also just to make sure where on the same page when I said it wouldn't be possible to port them without making major cuts I meant on cartridges because they don't have enough space to hold Gamecube games.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
tk_saturn said:
I never said it is likely to be made only that it would be successful. Also just to make sure where on the same page when I said it wouldn't be possible to port them without making major cuts I meant on cartridges because they don't have enough space to hold Gamecube games.
Flash memory tends to double in capacity every year. Look at how fast SSD's are going up in capacity. You say there are 512MB DS carts, the 3DS is a year away so 2GB isn't that hard to economically achieve. Even in the UK I can pick up a 8GB MicroSD card for £11, the production costs are going to be a fraction of that. In 1-2 years time it should be viable to have a 2GB cart.

The Wii is hardware compatible with the GC, the graphics aren't even a huge leap. But Nintendo aren't still selling tons of GC games them are they? People don't want recycled games. Presumably the 3DS will also have gyro's, accelerometers as well as it's dual 3D screens; people will want games that take full advantage of those new features. New Pokemon, New Zelda, New mario kart, New Metroid prime, New Mario galaxy are the games which will sell the system; not games from years ago.

The Darkness Wit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tk_saturn said:
tk_saturn said:
Flash memory tends to double in capacity every year. Look at how fast SSD's are going up in capacity. You say there are 512MB DS carts, the 3DS is a year away so 2GB isn't that hard to economically achieve.
But flash memory is also more expensive than CDs it would Nintendo more money per unit is they used cartridges instead of CDs plus people would have to pay for the accessory as well so my method is more profitable than porting.

Vanth88

Private
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't see how the 3DS could run Gamecube games as that would require something more powerful than a gamecube and I doubt the 3DS has the hardware to do so(that would also make it graphically superior to the PSP because that compares to the PS2)but I could see the 3DS running all virtual console games, including the N64, and imagine the homebrew capabilities.

I also wouldn't doubt that the 3DS has more flash memory than the DSi, I also wouldn't doubt that it will support SDHC cards(maybe even SDXC?). However Gamecube games range from 16mb(Animal Crossing) to 1.3GB or so. Nintendo doesn't have a service that could even compete with Xbox Live OR PSN which allows users to download games in that range, its simply impossible right now for their servers to handle games at that magnitude.

The addon reminds me of people talking about a N64 addon for the Gamecube, it never happened and I doubt Nintendo would make a DVD attachment, think about it people.

That's my two cents
smile.gif

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
But flash memory is also more expensive than CDs it would Nintendo more money per unit is they used cartridges instead of CDs plus people would have to pay for the accessory as well so my method is more profitable than porting.
In that case, why aren't Nintendo using an Optical Disk based storage system for the 3DS? Why didn't Nintendo use an Optical Disk based storage system on the DS? They could have used the same Mini-DVDs as the GC, but they chose not to. I don't think they have any regrets about it.

It's not going to be more profitable because people aren't going to buy new GC games to run on a 3DS hardware addon. The only people who would be interested are people who already own many gamecube games. For many years most of a consoles profits come from the games, not the the hardware. How many used GC games are there on eBay for $2-$3? That doesn't interest Nintendo, they get no money from used games.

A Port of GC game they can sell new on retail shelves just like they did with Mario 64. That didn't require any additonal hardware addons for it to work, some people probably didn't even know it was a port. They were able to market and sell this Mario 64 to everyone, not just a small number who owned a N64 addon for the DS. The same goes for Virtual Console downloads, they can charge money for each game you download. They are not interested in you using it with the games you already have.

Technically it's quite possible for Nintendo to do what you say. They could produce a small GC dock that would attach to the underside of the 3DS with a slot loading mini-dvd drive, but it would have to contain shrunk versions of the GC memory, GPU and CPU and of course the drive. It could take it's power off the 3DS battery or have it's own. But it's not going to be that cheap, this will cost money to develop and produce. I would be amazed if they sold more than 25,000 world wide. The return on investment just isn't there.

Those that own GC games would be very happy it if happened. But it's not going to happen, it's just how it is. It's a pipe dream...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, Lol K3N1.