The "3D Analog Stick" for the 3DS

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by xamorok, Apr 2, 2010.

1. xamorok
    OP

xamorok Member

Sep 15, 2009
    United States
    I am starting to think Nintendo doesnt mean just any old analog stick/nub, otherwise they wouldnt mention it being a 3D analog stick in the press release, but just an analog stick. Im thinking an analog stick of some sort that can also move along the z axis, if only slightly, as well as the 360 degrees an analog nub can detect. Imagine a nub that instead of being raised in the center, is depressed, fitting your thumb. Now imagine it being made of rubber, and once again, functioning as a normal nub, but one that can also "sink" into the 3DS. Of course, it would have to be on some sort of spring system to provide a good amount of resistance etc. Exciting.

2. yuyuyup

yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

Apr 30, 2006
    United States
    USA MTN timezone
    Maybe like this, but yeah it will prob be a plain old analog

3. Forstride

Forstride The rudder moves when I turn the wheel

May 6, 2008
    United States
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Basically like the Xbox 360 analog stick? It would have to be built down in, so the 3DS would have to be a little thick on the bottom, since the stick would need to be somewhat the same length as the 360's to allow better movement.

4. snico1995

snico1995 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 13, 2010
    United States
    haha i have actually used one of these, its pretty cool it was at a science fair things

5. _Chaz_

_Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

Sep 12, 2009
    United States
    Wow, back in 2007? Unbelievable.

"Goopy like molassass..."

6. davidsl_128

davidsl_128 GBAtemp Brightsider

Aug 19, 2008
    Colombia
    Yeah, I also think it will be like a C-stick, or if Nintendo made something lie the PSP they'd make it strong and better. Nintendo stuff is made to be kid-proof, so every piece has to be sturdy.

Also, when they say 3D stick I think IGN is right, it will probably move up and down on the z-axis, like the sticks on an Xbox 360 controller but instead of just being a digital button it'll be analog (sees how much you press the stick as opposed to just being pressed/not pressed)