That's probably not good...

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by redrampager, Oct 24, 2008.

Oct 24, 2008
  1. redrampager
    OP

Newcomer redrampager Member

United States
    I have a DMS wii and a wiikey. I use high quality media (Ritek for DVD-R, Verbatim for the one DVD+R DL) that has been working for about a year. I did the solder job, and I'm a little less than proud of the job I did. It works, and I made a solid connection, but there's some burnt residue from a terrible job a friend did earlier on different areas of the wiikey. it had me worried, until I put it back together and quickly got addicted to SMG. :]

But as of just recently, the wii has decided to stop reading disks altogether. Even originals, and gamecube games. This gives me hope that the wiikey might still be working, but then it worries me that perhaps my disc drive got damaged somehow. However last night, after having left it unplugged for an hour or so, I plugged it in and it successfully loaded Brawl. For about 5 seconds, after which the DRE came up.

I was thinking about getting some compressed air and blowing it into the disc slot, and in the rear fan, but I dunno if that could damage anything. Lord knows I don't wanna try. But I need to get a better idea of what to expect before I open it up.

Could it be a dirty lens? a bad solder joint? A dyslexic disc drive that needs replacing?

TiA

2. Midna

Banned Midna Banned

Albania
    Yeah, the wiikey sucks.

3. redrampager
    OP

United States
    That's wonderful thank you. I'll go back in time a year or so and remind myself not to get one because some guy on a forum told me so.

It's been done, recently better alternatives have cropped up, but then I also own an R4. I hopped on the Pirate ship a little early. :]

Anybody else?

4. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    My WiiKey works great even today. And usually when a solder point goes awry, it should still read originals.

BTW, your drive is probably dead. The last resort would be trying to do some pot adjusting.

Search on the forum and see if it works for you.

5. redrampager
    OP

United States
    Wonderful. I'll try all the very easy stuff, and then start building up fundage for a new drive if that's really the case.