thaddius' Console Classic 2012 Edition: Round 1

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by thaddius, Jan 17, 2012.

1. thaddius
    OP

Member thaddius Charmander is not pleased.

Canada
    Turns out that Mondays are busy for thaddius. Hooray! So Tuesday is the new Monday now. I'll try to make updates then.

So, a quick recap of the rules:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

On to the competition!

This week we have the first generation of consoles (or as I like to call it: the generation of consoles that no one will vote on because they've never heard of these consoles). If you are indeed unfamiliar with this week's choices, I implore you to stick around. Feel free to try out an emulator or something (note: thaddius does not endorse piracy, but can't stop you), you might learn some history! Awesome! And of course, there's no doubt that we'll eventually get to something you love and care about as we slog through the reaches of (recent) time together! It's time we got this started though, so.... let the descriptions begin!

It was the mid-70s. Everyone was still reeling from the Summer of Love, and hippies were everywhere. Video games had had a minor breakout into the mainstream as programmers were no longer making weird games for oscillators anymore and instead were cramming their new-found knowledge into arcade machines that were sweeping the States by storm! There were a couple of arcade games that had limited success, but mostly people were wary of this new technology. They were afraid of what it would become, but no one would ever admit that.

This week's challengers are:

The Magnavox Odyssey
    [​IMG]
    The first console ever! What a title! This hunk of plastic was a cartridge based system two player functionality. It sold quite well seeing as how it was a whole new medium, reporting 330,000 units sold. Much like a board game, it came with all sorts of chips and paper monies and stuff, but also had a light gun attachment as well as some overlays for the TV to make up for it's almost complete lack of graphics! Woo hoo!

The Atari/Sears Pong
    [​IMG]
    Atari hits the console scene with a home version if it's super arcade hit, Pong! You guys know Pong. You guys love Pong...! right? Atari was just starting up, so it had no distribution infrastructure. It had to rely on retailers like Sears to distribute it's machines. Needless to say it sold well, even though I have no sales records to back that up! Isn't history grand?

The Coleco Telstar series
    [​IMG]
    At some point in time, the Connecticut Leather Company decided to get into the video game market, changing their name to Coleco to snare the kids with a hip new name. I did not make that up. Between '76 and '78 they released a series of 14 (!!!) consoles under the name Telstar. While the original console was a Pong clone, and some of the later models were Pong clones with little variation in their extra built-in games, the final model (pictured above) took triangular cartridges, and had a plethora of inputs. What an ugly bastard of a system!

The aptly named Nintendo color TV Game
    [​IMG]
    There was this playing card company in Japan that, after releasing Love Testers and other novelties in the 60s, suddenly started to take an interest in video games. For their first entry into the industry that decided to go with a Pong clone, y'know, like everyone else. While only released in Japan, it made a huge impact, setting Nintendo up for future ventures. Too bad no one's ever heard of this company.

Random Pong Consoles (or, How I Learned To Stop Worrying and Love the Clones)
    [​IMG]

Send in the clones! This last one is dedicated to any particular Pong clone that you had around the house that kept you entertained. Pong was widely copied and cloned. If your favourite one was not mentioned above, give a vote for this one!

You can't make a popular game these days without someone copying your fundamentals in their own package, so why would the 70s be any different? No sooner had Atari's Pong become an arcade hit, than clones started to surface everywhere. It seemed like any Joe Blow with a soldering iron and minimal programming skillz felt the need to flood the market with these things. Nice guys. Since it was a new medium, copyright and patenting was dubious, and would take years to sort out. Luckily for Atari, most of these companies would go bankrupt by the end of the decade and not be a problem. Others, like the aforementioned Coleco and Nintendo though...

Housekeeping!! Woo!

That's it for this week folks. Results will be posted next week! Soon after I'll post the next competition with another spectacular breakdown! Stay tuned for next week's competition, featuring the underrated Second Generation!

*sweeping orchestral crescendo, fade*

Check the spoiler window for the upcoming brackets!
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

EDIT: Poll is closed. Next bracket will be up soon, first I must post the results.

2 people like this.
  2. DinohScene

Member DinohScene The Gift of Dino

Antarctica
    Oddyssea.

I have played on that one once.
    God awful controls but it has that 70's feeling to it.

3. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    My parents won a "Pong" console in a raffle when i was young and so growing up my first experience to gaming was the Bingo TVG 203 (which turned Pong into an array of different sports at the flip of a switch! Tennis, Football, Squash...even a practice mode!) Therefore the Pong Clone wins my vote and this one in particular

[​IMG]

It's packed away somewhere too, so one of these days i'll dust it down and set it up next to it's successor in my gaming evolution, the humble ZX Spectrum.

4. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    I'll give my vote to the Odyssey for the sake of it being first.

5. thaddius
    OP

Canada
    I guess that's worth something!

I wonder if the Telstar will get any votes for being so strange looking...
    Gak! I'm unsure weather whether (damn homonyms) to include the ZX Spectrum in the competition seeing as how it was technically a home computer. If I do include it, I may have to consider other home computers.

Basically I don't want to bloat the poll and split the votes. But I also don't want to piss off the Brits! Decisions decisions.

TL;DR: Running a poll is harder than you think!

6. NES SNES V.B. N64 G.C. Wii WiiU

Member NES SNES V.B. N64 G.C. Wii WiiU Now with extra redundancy!

Australia
    Odyssey because it was first.

Otherwise I couldn't give a damn about some old 70's consoles.

Also, home computers are not consoles...

7. 431unknown

Member 431unknown Greatness Awaits

United States
    Voted for the Atari/Sears Pong machine, but deciding that was tough.

8. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    Don't feel compelled. The Spectrum era was a golden age for gaming for me (soon followed by the Commodore Amiga!) but i'm guessing that given the few people who have genuine ties to those older platforms will number in the 10's in the vote (if that) it'd be far better to keep things simple.

9. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    Voted for Pong, simply because Atari's Pong was/is awesome.

10. thaddius
    OP

Canada
    Whoa! So far this is a lot more votes than I expected for the first gen!

Isn't anyone going to vote for the TelStar because it's funny looking? Also, no Nintendo love?

4 days remain!

11. thaddius
    OP

Canada
    Last day for voting! So exciting, it's worth a double post!

Post Script: In the event of a tie, I will cast a tie-breaking vote!

Post Post Script: Round 2 starts TOMORROW!

12. thaddius
    OP

Canada
    Whoa! Good job guys! Knew you had it in ya!

[​IMG]
    14 votes total. Not bad.

As I stated earlier, I can cast a tie-breaking vote, and in this case I vote for The Magnavox Odyssey! Congratulations, Magnavox Odyssey, you've won the first round of thaddius' Console Classic! You will go on to compete against the winners of each generation! Good luck, and God Speed little console!

To the runner ups in this category, we have lovely parting gifts for you. For the Coleco Telstar... I'm afraid no one likes you! How sad. :( Don't worry though, folks, Coleco still has some kick left in them. What do I mean? Stay tuned!

The bracket results are as follows:

[​IMG]

Join me in another topic SOON, as I'm in the process of compiling/writing the next bracket. And remember: vote now soon, vote often!