Homebrew RELEASE TextReaderOverlay - Tesla Overlay for Viewing Text-Based Game Guides

0xNULL

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
TextReaderOverlay is a Tesla Overlay that sits on top of any foreground application that lets you view text files such as text-based game guides from gamefaqs.

Installation
  • Download and install Tesla Overlay (including nx-ovlloader and Tesla Menu)
  • Download TextReaderOverlay
  • Extract the content of zip file onto the root of your SD card
  • Place *.txt files anywhere on yours SD card (files must have .txt extension)
  • Launch Tesla Menu and select "Text Reader"
Github

Screenshot

TextReader.jpg

pcwizard7

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Nice, I don't like cheats but guide information is cool.

What about using the switches limited web browser and view html files on your sd cards so you could put a guide there. so u can have text and images? thoughts?

Reactions: Martinez

0xNULL

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What about using the switches limited web browser and view html files on your sd cards so you could put a guide there. so u can have text and images? thoughts?
Having a web-browser overlay would be super cool, but I'm not sure if there's enough memory available to the overlay to even be able to render html. It's definitely worthwhile to look into though.

satan89

Trophies
XP
Country
India
Thanks for this tool, very useful. I would like to make a suggestion. So I understand that pressing X closes the overlay but keeps it in memory. To bring it back up we need to again use the L + down + Rstick.
Could it be possible to make a key or key combo (+ and - maybe) minimize and maximize the overlay? Such that, when minimized, we are able to get back controls to the game, and using the maximise button combo it opens the overlay again? I ask this because in many games, the L, down and Rstick have some other function binded in game, and we'd have to pause or do something to use the combo without having the game do something stupid. And for an overlay like this which uses a walkthrough, we sometimes need to bring it up multiple times a play session. The +/- buttons may not have much more function in game except bring up a pause menu.
Thanks

Purple_Shyguy

Trophies
XP
Country
Oh my god this is so perfect for checking the names of all the user maps in my Doom/Quake/Quake 2 folders and for checking fighting game move lists!!!This saves so much time instead of having to close the game every time and booting up a file browser to check file names or having to be sitting next to my pc to check!

Thank you for this! Works perfect on TXOS

Last edited by Purple_Shyguy,
Reactions: GuyInDogSuit

GuyInDogSuit

Your friendly neighborhood guy in a dog suit.
Trophies
Website
www.sniffglueworshipsatan.com
XP
Country
United States
Oh my god this is so perfect for checking the names of all the user maps in my Doom/Quake/Quake 2 folders and for checking fighting game move lists!!!This saves so much time instead of having to close the game every time and booting up a file browser to check file names or having to be sitting next to my pc to check!

Thank you for this! Works perfect on TXOS

Nice use examples of this! Hadn't thought of that, actually!

VeniaSilente

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Damn this is quite useful. I'm using it to guide myself in repetitive events for FE3H, for keeping a list of basic combos for Pokkén DX, and for keeping some general guides (blessed be gamefaqs).

A question, one of the things I noticed when I wanted to use this overlay for assisting myself in playing Monster Hunter XX in Japanese, is that the overlay does not support Unicode so it doesn't show Japanese characters. I tried adding a new font to the fonts directory in the overlay but there does not seem to be any way to configure font support, nor to determine if the loaded font is actually supported.

Is there plans for a future version to support Unicode / UTF-8, even if it is at least partial CJK support?

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Damn this is quite useful. I'm using it to guide myself in repetitive events for FE3H, for keeping a list of basic combos for Pokkén DX, and for keeping some general guides (blessed be gamefaqs).

A question, one of the things I noticed when I wanted to use this overlay for assisting myself in playing Monster Hunter XX in Japanese, is that the overlay does not support Unicode so it doesn't show Japanese characters. I tried adding a new font to the fonts directory in the overlay but there does not seem to be any way to configure font support, nor to determine if the loaded font is actually supported.

Is there plans for a future version to support Unicode / UTF-8, even if it is at least partial CJK support?
Code was abandoned some time ago.

UltimateFight

Mell-Known Member
Trophies
XP
Country
China

The font file is located in
/Switch/SdCard/switch/.overlays/TextReaderOverlay/fonts/UbuntuMono/UbuntuMono-Regular.ttf
you can replace it with some font that supports Japanese characters. I've tried it before, it can display Chinese characters successfully, maybe it's the same with Japanese characters.

Last edited by UltimateFight,
Reactions: VeniaSilente

k8099

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
The font file is located in
/Switch/SdCard/switch/.overlays/TextReaderOverlay/fonts/UbuntuMono/UbuntuMono-Regular.ttf
you can replace it with some font that supports Japanese characters. I've tried it before, it can display Chinese characters successfully, maybe it's the same with Japanese characters.
麻烦问一下,怎么才能显示中文,用哪个字体?我试了几款字体都没中文,包括方正剑体之类的,你用的什么字体?

UltimateFight

Mell-Known Member
Trophies
XP
Country
China
麻烦问一下,怎么才能显示中文,用哪个字体?我试了几款字体都没中文,包括方正剑体之类的,你用的什么字体?
过去太久我都忘了,你有没有放对位置?上面那里我可能打错路径了
It's been too long and I've forgotten. Did you put it in the right place? I may have typed the wrong path in that message.

VeniaSilente

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
I can confirm that changing the font file with an adequate one works wonders, thanks!

I understand that overlays have a reduced amount of memory to work with, so I'm trying to keep the chosen font conservative, but so far with fonts like Koruri work OK. I don't want to tempt luck with fonts as large as Noto's.

tungns

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
I can confirm that changing the font file with an adequate one works wonders, thanks!

I understand that overlays have a reduced amount of memory to work with, so I'm trying to keep the chosen font conservative, but so far with fonts like Koruri work OK. I don't want to tempt luck with fonts as large as Noto's.

I already make a fork version of text reader and this is what i've change:
- Make it full screen
- Change resolution to 1024x768 instead of 648x720.
Seem like the author doesn't work with this project anymore i think i will release my change.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

sr for my bad english though

Zukov

Dinosaur
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
@tungns please, post your results!

Also, I would preffer it not been full screen, I like the idea of it still been aestheticly part of the overlays.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr