Text-edit program for Super Famicom games?

Discussion in 'Other Consoles & Oldies' started by earlynovfan, Sep 27, 2013.

1. earlynovfan
    OP

earlynovfan Tactical enthusiast.

Jan 3, 2013
    United States
    Minnesota
    Hi all,
    So I've looked around the internet and even posted a topic here on gbatemp, but it seems no one has ever finished a translation of the first Tokimeki Memorial on SuperFamicom, or even seems interested in contributing. So I figure I may as well take it upon myself to at least try!

But I'm not sure on how to edit text. I know some games have custom programs (Poke Tools and FFHackster) but how would I go about it for this one?

~Cheers! :)

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    If a tool does not exist then you get to make one or some the more pliable/programmable tools to effect a translation. In the case of the latter it basically amounts to "learn SNES ROM hacking, at least to the doors of assembly". For my money the SNES is in some ways simpler (less compression, scripting heavy and memory limiting) than the GBA and DS stuff we usually deal in around here and in other ways more complex (memory handling, chips and hirom/lorom stuff).

Are you a translator ( http://gbatemp.net/threads/densetsus-translation-toolbox.311523/ )? If so then you might have better luck getting a team together/hacker interested for it than if you are going to try learning hacking and then getting one onboard.

There are few, if any, games where a would be translator ends up with a nice script file to translate, and if they do it usually only on a PC, or if a hacker has made it happen.

3. earlynovfan
    OP

earlynovfan Tactical enthusiast.

Jan 3, 2013
    United States
    Minnesota
    Unfortunately I only know simple japanese phrases. Perhaps I'll try to find some help. Thanks! :)