Terraria: 1.2 Teaser, Mobile Version, PC -> Other Updates

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Rydian, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Rydian
    OP

Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    1. Redigit has released a little teaser video for 1.2. Now we can see more than just screenshots.

The ability to run across one-block bumps without stopping, sloped blocks, new music, new wings, infinite waterfalls, new decoration blocks, painting blocks, a minimap, a tiny eater pet, rainbow bricks, bricks that change the color of water that passes over them, magic color fountains, a rocket launcher... and maybe more I missed.
      Source

2. 505 Games is going to bring Terraria to mobile devices. The wording was "mobile phones" so Android is the assumed platform. It'll have facebook integration, leader boards, and all the usual shit they like to pile on. No word on pricing or ads or anything yet.

To note, this is the same company that's porting/ported Terraria to consoles and the Vita, this isn't being done by the main Terraria guys.
      Source

3. A lot of people, now that they finally realize that the Terraria ports are being done by a different company, have realized that it means the big 1.2 update is for the original PC version, not any of the ports.

Obviously that makes people as unhappy as GBATemp members who ask for ROMs and get told no, so it looks like 505 Games will be given the 1.2 update by Redigit (after it's out for PC?) and they plan to release it as DLC... hopefully not paid DLC.
      Source

Celice likes this.
  2. raulpica

raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Supervisor
    Oct 23, 2007
    Italy
    PowerLevel: 9001
    OH GAWD YES. This summer will be a Terraria summer! :yay:

Rydian likes this.
  3. FireGrey

FireGrey Undercover Admin

Apr 13, 2010
    Surprised this hasn't been posted yet.
    Anyway at current, terraria has about 600-700 items, about a month ago the 1000th item was made in the development of this update.
    This is going to be bigger than the hardmode update :D

Rydian likes this.
  4. shakirmoledina

shakirmoledina Legend

Oct 23, 2004
    Tanzania
    Dar es Salaam
    either rydian is a vivid player or a dev in it.

really liked this game due to its simplicity although kinda frustrating in the beginning.

5. raulpica

raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Supervisor
    Oct 23, 2007
    Italy
    PowerLevel: 9001
    I love how you can finally run over one-block bumps, it was one of my major gripes since on long distances it was quite bothersome to jump every now and then.

The rocket launcher kinda seems way too powerful (it removes the need for axes too :O), and the minimap kinda kills the awesomeness of exploration... :(

6. Ritsuki

Ritsuki ORAORAORAORA

Mar 15, 2008
    Switzerland
    Last time I checked Terraria news, the new content was "console-only"... Nice to see they changed their mind, it was kind of strange to see that the first people who actually supported the game were going to be left behind.

But I'm not really convinced by this console/mobile port. The controls must be horrible on a tonch screen :/

7. Gore

Gore GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Oct 15, 2007
    United States

Well this isn't really new news, the update has been known for over a month and the video is over a week old. I've seen him over on the TerrariaOnline forums as I follow over there as well.

As for the Mobile versions, I think those will be complete shit.

But on topic I am really looking forward to this, Terraria being my absolute favorite game since Fallout 3. Hoping to host and join temper servers when it comes, anyone? I will cry tears of joy if we get new functional NPCs like Redigit mentioned before.

8. RupeeClock

RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

May 15, 2008
    This all looks SO fucking good.
    All the new stuff for building looks so trippy and vibrant, so much potential!
    And then, introduce a new weapon with serious griefing potential at the end. :P

9. Rydian
    OP

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    You could do this with bombs before, just without instant explosion time. The destruction of the terrain means people won't go to this for cutting trees anyways...

1.2 has always been for the PC, the split-screen update and stuff was a separate development line for consoles since... that's how consoles would need to do it. :P

The company doing the porting is changing the control scheme as well to account for it.

10. pokefloote

pokefloote GBAtemp Addict

Mar 20, 2009
    United States
    I... didn't know Terraria had this much to it. I played for a half an hour or so and stopped for some reason. Not because I was bored or anything, I just didn't grasp what to do at first. It looks great, I'll have to watch a tutorial or something. :lol:

11. Rydian
    OP

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    A lot of people don't realize that you need to go down to start. Dig under the surface, the underground world is like 2-3x larger than you might think it is (it's effing huge). There's tons of ores (depending on the layer you're in), treasure chests, ruined houses, traps, etc.

But yeah, like Minecraft, you pretty much need to look at the guide/wiki when playing to find out all the stuff you can do, because there's a ton of stuff, but not much of it is pointed out in-game.