Hacking TempGBA save deleted?

3bbb7

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I loaded up tempgba the other day and noticed that my save for mario and luigi superstar saga was deleted. I had about an hour of save in it and had saved and quit the game to make sure it saved correctly. I loaded it up this time and the game prompted me with 3 new save slots on the game, my one that I had progressed on gone.

Any ideas?

omghahalol

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you move anything around on the card? I save via the instant save as well just in case. Look for a .sav file somewhere on the card that had the same name.

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Did anything change on the card from between your saving to your attempted loading?

Including:
* Playing another GBA game and creating another save in the same folder
* Updating TempGBA
* Copying, moving or deleting the .sav file using the EOS menu's file management
* Compressing the .sav file using DS2Compress

3bbb7

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I played more games but didn't save, Was really just testing what games ran and what didnt, I did not update TempGBA, i did not move the save or delete it, I did not compress the save, I dont even have ds2compress installed

3bbb7

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TempGBA Versions 1.43.1
Nebuleon/TempGBA commit 34cd906

Not sure if its before or after beta 14
I have downloaded it 2 weeks ago (got my dstwo around then)

3bbb7

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, but I had previously done that back before I got my dstwo. I used the same sd card for my acekard and formatted it with SD Formatter back then, all I did this time was delete the acekard data and put the dstwo data on it and kept my games.

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Are there other details I'm missing?

Including:
* Which kind of Save did you use? In-game .sav, saved state?
* Which kind of Quit did you use? In-game quit that suspends the "GBA" (and crashes the emulator), emulator quit, DS lid closed, DS powered off?
* Which kind of save are you now missing? You never even said which kind of save it was, and I only said it was .sav because of omghahalol in post #2.
* Do you see anything related to the game in the card's /TEMPGBA/SAVES in a computer? If so, what's its file size?
* Does the same ROM work in an emulator on a computer, saving in the same fashion?
* Does saving work in other games in TempGBA?

3bbb7

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are there other details I'm missing?

Including:
* Which kind of Save did you use? In-game .sav, saved state?
* Which kind of Quit did you use? In-game quit that suspends the "GBA" (and crashes the emulator), emulator quit, DS lid closed, DS powered off?
* Which kind of save are you now missing? You never even said which kind of save it was, and I only said it was .sav because of omghahalol in post #2.
* Do you see anything related to the game in the card's /TEMPGBA/SAVES in a computer? If so, what's its file size?
* Does the same ROM work in an emulator on a computer, saving in the same fashion?
* Does saving work in other games in TempGBA?
I used the default save, so .sav
I quit after saving by powering off the DS
It has always been .sav (assuming thats the default format) because I have not changed any of the TempGBA settings
There is a sav file for the game, 8KB
Yes it works on Retroarch using the vba_next core
Saving does work on other games.

And saving did work previously for this game, I had launched the game and quit a few times using the same data, but when I did it the latest time the data was missing.

3bbb7

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the file was never deleted, it just stopped using the save data for some reason on TempGBA when I loaded it up one time

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
When I see "deleted", I think "deleted". As in gone completely.

Perhaps you didn't wait 2-3 seconds after saving before turning your DS off last time? When you don't do that, what becomes possible is that the flash-block erasure that needs to be carried out right before rewriting the file isn't followed by rewriting the file. So you lost the data, but not the file's name.

Please start waiting a few seconds after saving before turning your DS off. Even better would be to quit the emulator and wait until the EOS Menu (or iMenu or BAGPlug etc.) appears again before turning off your DS.

Edit: You may actually have lost up to 120 KB (128 KB, a flash erase block, minus 8 KB) of data around the .sav file too. Be aware that some of your other saves, DS or GBA, or even some parts of your ROMs, may be gone.

3bbb7

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for letting me know. I didn't get much data on any other games, just tested saves. I'll start over and start quitting to EoS. Thanks again

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.