TEMP: "Should I Update To 5.x?"

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Rydian, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Rydian
    OP

Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    3DBrew.org recently had a notice on their front page added saying this.
    Because of this, we've been getting tons of people asking if they should update or not. This is a temporary thread to answer that question.

• Q - "Why are they saying not to update?"
      A - Firmware 5.x fixes the specific kernel-mode exploit they were using at the time.

• Q - "So we shouldn't update if we want their hack, right?"
      A - They have stated multiple times over the past couple of months that they will NOT release their kernel-mode hack. They're looking into developing other things instead that they might release later on. Check out this thread for quotes and more information.

• Q - "Then why are they putting the notice up?"
      They want to keep kernel-mode on their personal 3DS units so they can keep on mapping out how the 3DS works, so it's a warning from one hacker to another to not update if they want to be able to continue their work.

• Q - "Even if there's no gain right now, do I lose anything by not updating?"
      A - Without updating you can't use the e-shop, and new 3DS games often will update your 3DS before they run.

2. Rydian
    OP

Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    All the hype and rumors for this have died down, so I don't think this is needed anymore.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice