Deleted User

OP
3972882tempdebates.png
"Less crappy than the last 2 debates
biggrin.gif
"

Debate III Genetic/DNA Manipulation on humans. Should it be legal in the UK?​
How to debate
We will be debating about a question, make your point heard.
If the question is: Can we live without air?

A response can be: No, because air sustains life.
Another can be: No, that point is wrong because we can live on Oxygen alone, not air.
Another can be: No, because plants need CO2 which is in air to live, and without plants, we would die.

and so on.
OK.

You will find today's debate title at the top of this post/in the topic description. Happy debating! I am impartial to this and will ignore the posts I have made to count the final score, as they were made solely to get the debate up and running. I will judge which side has won at the end, however will join the debate.

The debate will last TWELVE HOURS

Previous Debates
Can we live without modern technology? The 'Temp says we can.
Will the world end in 2012? The 'Temp says 'fuck no'.
Genetic/DNA Manipulation on humans. Should it be legal in the UK? The 'Temp thinks that yes, it should.

Future Debates
IV Censorship? Protective or restrictive?
V Health and Safety laws. Protective or restrictive?
VI Equal Rights for Gays, Lesbians and Bisexuals.
VII Marijuana should be legalized solely for medicinal use.
VIII Medical Research on animals. Does it do more good than harm?
VIIII Will Space be colonized? ~suggested by Scott-105

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Legal because it only makes us more powerful.

EDIT: Also, the 3rd debate already?

EDIT2: Ah, just trying to boost your postcount, eh?

EDIT3: Wait a minute... IN THE UK? How do you expect anyone to start a decent debate when only UK tempers can talk?

DeadLocked

Bi-Winning.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I think it should be legal and feel very strongly about it.
Why should one person die or be mentally/physically disabled because another person believes they should not be allowed to use such methods of curing their illness.
It should be ILLEGAL to oppose imho because it's just cruel to the person who wants it, it's none of the opposing person's business.

Also I had no idea it was already legal in the US (: glad someone over there knows sense unlike here.

And yes I also believe in genetic engineering, if you can solve world hunger and have the power why not. You aren't losing anything.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Ellie said:
EDIT: Also, the 3rd debate already?I know, I was thinking that.
He needs to keep them open longer so more members have a chance to voice their say. I'm sure Fast will love these.

AlsoJetKunLock
Be nicer to the mods. It's not your forum.

bnwchbammer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
True, they should be 2 or 3 days long.
Anyway, my 2 cents would be to say why not?
Plenty of good can come about from this. Plenty of lives can be saved or drastically improved.
I guess the biggest argument against it is ethical issues, right? But if we have the technology, why wouldn't we use it? We're not destroying anything, so it seems unreasonable not to use it.

em2241992

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It depends on circumstance. If it is for treatment of certain genetic disease or a problem in the patient, I don't see the issue. I think this is referring to gene therapy, which can help in treating diseases like Huntington's disease which is a gruesome disease, and if manipulating human DNA can treat it, why not.

D

Deleted_171835

OP
Yeah, it should be legal.
Also, I agree with prowler_ and Ellie. You don't leave the topics open long enough. I haven't got a chance to respond to the last two. The topics are too mundane for my tastes.

D

Deleted_171835

OP
N4RU70 FR34K said:
Ellie said:
N4RU70 FR34K said:
P.S. I love these debates
biggrin.gif
Especially because you don't contribute anything to them, correct?
I do so contribute just look at my post, you didn't quote it all
Shut up, dude.
You're going to cause another argument. He didn't quote the entire post because that was the only relevant part.

B

ball2012003

OP
I say nay, things should happen naturally. Too bad a majority of people think it should be legalized.

Windaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I understand religion might catch a hissy-fit over it, but why not? Like most other things, it's a choice that the parents have (when it comes to children) and that the person personally has (when it comes to anything else.) If you don't like it, don't do it. It's not affecting you or anyone around you. I won't personally do it, as I don't believe we should alter anything nature has set, but that doesn't mean everyone else shouldn't have that same choice.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe that it should not only be legal, but greatly funded as well.

As things are going now, evolution has been near non-existent in humans. The only way to progress as a species in a speedy manner would seem to be genetic manipulation.

I'm not saying that Umbrella should come up and try to take over the world, but it should be used to enhance the intelligence of the Earth's future inhabitants. When things move along a bit, then it may be used for superficial manipulations.

geoflcl

Permanent GBAtemp Newbie
Trophies
Website
loganderb.in
XP
Country
United States
It should most certainly be legalized, but only if handled with appropriately.

When used wisely and effectively, it could beef up an immune system, fix patients of certain deficiencies or disorders, and overall cause an artificial "evolution".

Best of all, certain types of this engineering can be applied to gametes, so that one's offspring can yield the same genetic modification, thus resulting in a permanent bloodline genetic altercation.
toot.gif

However, something as risky as human genetic manipulation should only be approved after much funding and research. So at this point in time, it might be wise to only permit this when our understanding of the human genome is ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Goku likes to flip the bean to get others healthy