Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted User

OP
3972882tempdebates.png

Debate II : Will The World end in 2012?​
How to debate
We will be debating about a question, make your point heard.
If the question is: Can we live without air?

A response can be: No, because air sustains life.
Another can be: No, that point is wrong because we can live on Oxygen alone, not air.
Another can be: No, because plants need CO2 which is in air to live, and without plants, we would die.

and so on.
OK.

You will find today's debate title at the top of this post/in the topic description. Happy debating! I am impartial to this and will ignore the posts I have made to count the final score, as they were made solely to get the debate up and running. I will judge which side has won at the end, however will join the debate.

The debate will last TWELVE HOURS

Previous Debates
Can we live without modern technology? The 'Temp says we can.
Will the world end in 2012? The 'Temp says 'fuck no'.

Future Debates
III Genetic/DNA Manipulation on humans. Legal or Illegal?
IV Pacifism is not the way forward.
V Will it ever be truly possible to make AI as accurate as a human brain?
VI Is health and safety taking over our lives?
VII Censorship? Protective or restrictive?
VIII Will Space be colonized? ~suggested by Scott-105

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
No.

/End of debate

Edit: The end of the world thing has happened quite a few times during the last 10 years, just this one is the biggest one.
I just think it ain't gunna happen.

Edit2:

pitman

Addicted to Magical Girls
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
Maybe, If crazy people in charge of nuclear missiles will decide to spam the entire world.
No, because end of the world theories are just plain old stupid, for example I have a theory (I should start my own cult
evil.gif
) that the world would end on 2345 because I think that number is special, see what I did there ?

D

Deleted User

OP
Planet X – A new planet in our solar system that is suppose to collide with earth in 2012. The orbital pattern of the planet comes within very close proximity of earth and provides relatively strong evidence for the collision of earth. Though this evidence may seem conclusive, other calculations have been made to show that it will pass by earth.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
It really depends on what you would consider 'World' and how you interpret the question

If by 'World' you mean 'The Earth with its inhabitants.' - then IF some disaster happens ('Naturally' - e.g. an Asteroid hitting the planet, or 'Manmade' - e.g. Nuclear War) during 2012, which kills all life on the planet then the answer is 'Yes - the World would end'

However, if by your definition of 'World' is 'A celestial body such as a planet', then even if all life is destroyed - the actually planet would most probably exist (even in a mangled wreck) so technically the 'World' will still exist so the answer would be 'No....unless the disaster is the Sun going Supernova & disintegrates the planet to dust'

If however you are asking that 'something' will happen in 2012 that will achieve any of the above scenario's is very slim, so MY opinion on that is a '99.9% No'.

But since no-one can predict the future (even 'Nostradamus' predictions are vague anyway) & that the phase 'Anything can happen' IMHO is very appropriate in this situation - there may be that very slim chance, even at 0.000000001%, that 'something' does happen that will affect the whole world - maybe not necessarily 'end it' but will certainly 'change it'

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
It's just as possible as it is any other year...and even then you have to define what you mean by the end of the world. End of human life? End of animal life? End of life on Earth? End of the planet Earth (somehow crumbles?)?

This is very non-specific, and the only way anyone can debate on it would be if A) we defined it... and B) we have some 14 year old losers on here that say LOLYES IT END 2012 MAYAN PREDICT IT!!!!!!! LOLOLOLOL

Seriously, JetKun, if you want to make this thing work, choose debatable topics. Gay marriage, net neutrality, feminism (I reaaaally want to go at that one), or something like that. Something that actually has two sides with valid points.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
The world is going to end when the sun becomes a supernova and absorbs it, but otherwise nothing's going to happen.

This topic sucks. And all ideas for future topics do, too.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
JetKun said:
III What came first? The Egg or the Chicken?
I suggest you don't do this unless you'll want it to become a religious flame thread.

GBAtemp and dem religious threads.
Never change.

monkat

Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
Ellie said:
The world is going to end when the sun becomes a supernova and absorbs it, but otherwise nothing's going to happen.

Well actually, if the human race even does survive long enough to see this (what I'm about to say), we won't be around to watch the supernova. The Sun will expand and release heat from a closer distance first for a few billion years, and we will die from it. There may be some bacterium and/or insects still around, but that's about it.

monkat

Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
JetKun said:
Planet X – A new planet in our solar system that is suppose to collide with earth in 2012. The orbital pattern of the planet comes within very close proximity of earth and provides relatively strong evidence for the collision of earth. Though this evidence may seem conclusive, other calculations have been made to show that it will pass by earth.

...if something else completely reasonable says "No, this won't happen", then it doesn't seem conclusive at all...

From http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/2012.html
QUOTEA: Nibiru and other stories about wayward planets are an Internet hoax. There is no factual basis for these claims. If Nibiru or Planet X were real and headed for an encounter with the Earth in 2012, astronomers would have been tracking it for at least the past decade, and it would be visible by now to the naked eye. Obviously, it does not exist. Eris is real, but it is a dwarf planet similar to Pluto that will remain in the outer solar system; the closest it can come to Earth is about 4 billion miles.

Infinite Zero

Almost!
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
Thug4L1f3 said:
I do not believe the world will end in 2012, I do however, believe it will change drastically from how we know it.
^This.
And the world won't end. Trust me, if ever there be a galactic or outer space disaster like CannonFoddr said, it is a possibility. But will it happen on 2012 alone? It can happen every time, anytime
unsure.gif

And how many times did people predict the end of the world?(Meaning, the Earth crumbles and goes solo solo blah and even human life)

TL;DR. No it won't end on 2012. That prediction is just crap. Wah

QUOTE(JetKun @ Aug 24 2010, 11:19 AM) III What came first? The Egg or the Chicken?
you want a religious debate? i'll give you one. but this is GBATemp, so no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Xdqwerty No you heard wrong, and don't believe till you experience yourself. Fallout 4 is one of my favorite games of all time. Yes it had issues early on, esp with older hardware like the xbox1, but it is awesome, esp now being 4k on Series S/X or PS5
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, Then i think people were talking about fallout 76
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    that one was buggy too
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea you right there, fallout 76 was a letdown, but it not that bad now, they have fixed slot of issues they had at launch. Biggest issue with Fallout 76 is its a pay to advance further type of game, which sucks
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, I may probably download fallout 3 or new vegas on my ps3
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    cuz I didnt like fallout 1 that much
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    New Vegas is awesome, F3 was ok too.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I played Fallout 4 on PC, I enjoyed it honestly. Not my favorite game on earth but at the same time I didn't hate it at all lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That's cool you got a ps3... Glad to hear. Game on!
    +1
    Ironic this was posted today lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I think the tv series has boasted play of, I did see they said playing of it Is up, way more than norm
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing the next gen version on Series X all day, I love it. :wub:
    +1
    Downloading some random stuff, damn almost 400GBs in like 4 hours lol
    Gonna be over 1TB this month.... damn lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    At least you have some fast speeds. What a drag that used to be, I remb downloading 1 pic back in the day, and seeing line by line show
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or worse, you downloading something, and someone calls your phone and interupts the download, good ole AOL. Of course that's before most you guys even were born yet.
    Lol I think my first modem was 48K but it had some sort of firmware or software update that let me get 56K
    +1
    I had EarthLink lol
    A bunch of NetZero accounts that I used for things... Lol
    +1
    So glad I'm not in prison lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea marriage is a itch sometimes...
    I legit think they passed the cyber terrorism laws from some of my hmm pranks lol
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I legit think they passed the cyber terrorism laws from some of my hmm pranks lol