Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted User

OP
3972882tempdebates.png

Debate I : Can we live without modern technology?​
How to debate
We will be debating about a question, make your point heard.
If the question is: Can we live without air?

A response can be: No, because air sustains life.
Another can be: No, that point is wrong because we can live on Oxygen alone, not air.
Another can be: No, because plants need CO2 which is in air to live, and without plants, we would die.

and so on.
OK.

You will find today's debate title at the top of this post/in the topic description. Happy debating! I am impartial to this and will ignore the posts I have made to count the final score, as they were made solely to get the debate up and running. I will judge which side has won at the end, however will join the debate.

The debate will last ONE DAY.

Win seen in next debate.

LOCK NOW

D

Deleted User

OP
-placeholder filled-

We can live without modern tech.

D

Deleted User

OP
We would never be able to live without it. For instance, if cars didn't exist, how would an american get to work?

em2241992

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
JetKun said:
We would never be able to live without it. For instance, if cars didn't exist, how would an american get to work?
We Can live with out, because humans have done it in the past before. We used to get to work by horse, carriages, and of course the greatest human feature, our legs. We have done it up until the 20th century when we started making all this technology. We all love it, but it is nothing more than a luxury.

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
prowler_ said:
JetKun said:
Americans don't have legs now?

I bike to work...

But more importantly, yes, of course we can live without "modern" technology. Humans have in the past, and we can now. Will the current generation enjoy it? Probably not. It's possible though, exercise does make you enjoy yourself more.

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
Edhel said:
Yes, however we could not sustain our current world population without more modern farming and agriculture.

It's a very good point that I didn't consider, but wouldn't all of the land and resources that are now used for computers, entertainment, etc. be turned into farming grounds as food becomes the most prized item, and farmers reclaim the most popular profession?

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
If we continue developing ever more imaginitive ways of obliterating ourselves, we'll find out soon enough

Truth be told I think in terms of physical health we'd survive well enough without modern technology, possibly after a long and bloody war for resources but the species would survive. After all, we must have at some point before. But our psychological stability would be greatly handicapped for several generations until we fully adjusted. Most kids these days sink into the depths of despair the moment their mobile phone stops working. They simply can't cope. Not to mention that the internet is an invaluable tool, if only for stress relief, venting anger in some forum at someone you'll probably never see in real life instead of letting it build to dangerous levels and manifesting as a serious mental illness.

Infinite Zero

Almost!
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
We can. Why?
The past has proven it. Even until now third world countries can, it's just the wants of the people why they think they need it. If you grew up in a "high-tech family" you'll obviously believe that without this and that, you can't survive.

JetKun said:
LAWL. You're kidding? I've seen children who walk over the shallow rivers and hike over small mountains JUST FOR SCHOOL alone.
Are you saying that Americans can't walk for even just a few hours or even minutes?

D

Deleted User

OP
No, I'm not saying that. I'm saying that workplaces in America are quite far from each other (are they?).
Anyways, more onto the point that we're currently having this debate on GBATemp, a gem of modern technology, and a way to vent (Blaze's post). Without modern technology you probably wouldn't be sitting here right now debating.

Infinite Zero

Almost!
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
No, I'm not saying that. I'm saying that workplaces in America are quite far from each other (are they?).
em2241992 said:
We used to get to work by horse, carriages, and of course the greatest human feature, our legs. We have done it up until the 20th century when we started making all this technology. We all love it, but it is nothing more than a luxury.
It takes work and energy if it's from a distance, it's hard but not impossible. Animals are form of transporatation
closedeyes.gif

JetKun said:
Without modern technology you probably wouldn't be sitting here right now debating.
Can we live without modern technology?

Yo. We're talking about living/life WITHOUT technology. Not thinking that we can't live without it because we wouldn't be able to debate right now.

naglaro00

Mildly disturbed
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Infinite Zero said:
em2241992 said:
We used to get to work by horse, carriages, and of course the greatest human feature, our legs. We have done it up until the 20th century when we started making all this technology. We all love it, but it is nothing more than a luxury.
It takes work and energy if it's from a distance, it's hard but not impossible. Animals are form of transporatation
closedeyes.gif

JetKun said:
Without modern technology you probably wouldn't be sitting here right now debating.
Can we live without modern technology?

Yo. We're talking about living/life WITHOUT technology. Not thinking that we can't live without it because we wouldn't be able to debate right now.
1) using animals for transportation in a city - wat
2) We'll die without technology. We people today are lazy. That's why we invented technology - to make machines do work for us

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Of course we'd be able to survive without modern technology, man is a very adaptable animal. It would just mean relearning skills that have been lost because we've had no need for them for a long time, and life would be that little more inconvenient. It all really depends on how "modern" you're talking. Are you talking industrial revolution modern or are you talking mobile phones, games consoles, internet shopping and HDTVs?

Scott-105

Bow to me. Please?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
TrolleyDave said:
Of course we'd be able to survive without modern technology, man is a very adaptable animal. It would just mean relearning skills that have been lost because we've had no need for them for a long time, and life would be that little more inconvenient. It all really depends on how "modern" you're talking. Are you talking industrial revolution modern or are you talking mobile phones, games consoles, internet shopping and HDTVs?
That's a very good point! ( The adaptable thing.)

I think he just means technology in general.

IMO, I pretty much second what Dave said.

Infinite Zero

Almost!
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
naglaro00 said:
1) using animals for transportation in a city - wat I meant that if there was no modern technology for transportation.
2) We'll die without technology. We people today are lazy. That's why we invented technology - to make machines do work for us
People only got lazy because they(including me
wink.gif
) think that the present can do most work for us that, meaning, no one gives a damn to do hard way anymore.
ohnoes.png

Scott-105

Bow to me. Please?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Infinite Zero said:
naglaro00 said:
1) using animals for transportation in a city - wat I meant that if there was no modern technology for transportation.
People only got lazy because they(including me
wink.gif
) think that the present can do most work for us that, meaning, no one gives a damn to do hard way anymore.
ohnoes.png
Well why would people even try to work hard, when there's an easier way. Although, if suddenly all of the easier ways to do things vanished, people would adapt to it, as Dave already stated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: This is how I have to do it w uremum... https://youtu.be/wV_BPDi8Ems?si=1UUzI1S7Rp6sujmq