Tell me more about this technology... called fax

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Today, I finally applied for a dreamhost account and they say that I need to activate my account. No problem I thought but it turns out that I have to print out a document..... and fax it to them to prove that I am the owner of my card. There was a point where I thought, "wtf?" Then I realised that if I'm going to get some webhosting, I might as well comply. But I never touched a fax machine in my life. So if I was to go to my friend who has one in the office and try and fax it from the UK to the US, what will the cost be? Or is it like sending an email?

Mucuna

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Dude, it's like a phone modem.
It will cost the price of a call from UK to USA.

I imagine that the fax machine uses the phone line to transfer digital data to other fax machine, in the case, a B/W Picture.

If you don't know or remember, the nerds back in the early's '90 used to access their BBSs by a modem using the phone line to transfer the data.;-)

Well, I used to.

Just dial the number in the fax machine and press send.

Mucuna

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Dreamhost? They didn't make me fax anything when I signed up.

Yeah, but Hasky is highly suspect...

wink.gif

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The only fax machine I know is the one in my college... boy I can imagine their surprise if I try to fax something to the US. Anyways, I heard Windows can send fax but is that recommended?

richiepo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use a scanner and send them an email of the scanned document... much easier.

Or get an efax account.

eFax Plus costs only $16.95 (USD) a month, with a one-time $10.00 (USD) fee to activate your number. You get 130 pages of incoming faxes and 30 pages of outgoing faxes free each month.1 After that, incoming faxes cost $0.15 (USD) a page and outgoing faxes cost $0.10 (USD) a page to numbers in the U.S.2 Click here to check our low send-rates to numbers outside the U.S. With toll-free numbers, all incoming pages are $0.20 (USD) a page and there are no free pages included. Value Added Tax (VAT) may apply to these prices depending on your country of residence.

-------------------

Even better get a host that won't give you a hard time.

I prefer Aplus.net
their hosting plans are very fair and their service is pretty good.

wink.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/bG1pQld.mp4