Tell me more about this technology... called fax

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Harsky, Nov 27, 2006.

Nov 27, 2006
  1. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    Today, I finally applied for a dreamhost account and they say that I need to activate my account. No problem I thought but it turns out that I have to print out a document..... and fax it to them to prove that I am the owner of my card. There was a point where I thought, "wtf?" Then I realised that if I'm going to get some webhosting, I might as well comply. But I never touched a fax machine in my life. So if I was to go to my friend who has one in the office and try and fax it from the UK to the US, what will the cost be? Or is it like sending an email?

2. Mucuna

Member Mucuna GBAtemp Fan

Brazil
    Dude, it's like a phone modem.
    It will cost the price of a call from UK to USA.

I imagine that the fax machine uses the phone line to transfer digital data to other fax machine, in the case, a B/W Picture.

If you don't know or remember, the nerds back in the early's '90 used to access their BBSs by a modem using the phone line to transfer the data.;-)

Well, I used to.

Just dial the number in the fax machine and press send.

3. Samutz

Member Samutz Wet Tissue Sample

United States
    Dreamhost? They didn't make me fax anything when I signed up.

4. Mucuna

Member Mucuna GBAtemp Fan

Brazil

Yeah, but Hasky is highly suspect...

[​IMG]

5. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    The only fax machine I know is the one in my college... boy I can imagine their surprise if I try to fax something to the US. Anyways, I heard Windows can send fax but is that recommended?

6. richiepo

Newcomer richiepo Member

United States
    Use a scanner and send them an email of the scanned document... much easier.

Or get an efax account.

eFax Plus costs only $16.95 (USD) a month, with a one-time $10.00 (USD) fee to activate your number. You get 130 pages of incoming faxes and 30 pages of outgoing faxes free each month.1 After that, incoming faxes cost $0.15 (USD) a page and outgoing faxes cost $0.10 (USD) a page to numbers in the U.S.2 Click here to check our low send-rates to numbers outside the U.S. With toll-free numbers, all incoming pages are $0.20 (USD) a page and there are no free pages included. Value Added Tax (VAT) may apply to these prices depending on your country of residence.

-------------------

Even better get a host that won't give you a hard time.

I prefer Aplus.net
    their hosting plans are very fair and their service is pretty good.

[​IMG]