Team Cyclops Forums?

Discussion in 'CycloDS' started by blainy, Dec 13, 2008.

Dec 13, 2008

Team Cyclops Forums? by blainy at 2:41 PM (1,188 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. blainy
    OP

Member blainy GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    ok, so i got my hands ona CycloDS Evolution in october, and have had no problems with the thing, apart from being unable to register at the Team Cyclops forums. i have been hunting round trying to find out if they are going to re-open any time soon for registration, but cant seem to find any details on this. does anyone here have any ideas at all when registration will be open again? of the best way to contact the site admins over there to request a membership? or is that not worth my while?? i know i am able to read the forums as it is, but i would like to be able top participate in some of the discussions i see goin on over there, and also want access to the beta forum they have for firmware betas and such..

2. MrSpud

Member MrSpud GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    One they get the spam under control, they're going to re-open it, they don't want to close the forums but they have to deal with these problems. There's a thread about it where one of the mods explain very well what the problem is and how it's being looked after. It's not like they are doing this out of spite, they know it's pissing people off and they may lose some business but they are doing their best to fix the spam problem.

It goes something like that...

"Well, you can either have the staff working on new firmwares, hacking the DSi -- or you can have them doing mundane stuff like upgrading the forum software.

The version they are running right now is LOADED with security holes. The very second they open new registrations, 10 spam bots will hop on and flood the forums.

Under this version, handling spam is TONS AND TONS of work. We mods are experienced and hard working (and might I add NOT compensated) - but the amount of work it takes to clean just ONE spam post properly under this software is a pain in the ***.

Yes, once the new forum software gets installed, the mods will be able to get a faster hold on the spam - and, the spambots will have a harder time getting registered to post.

Opening the forums now would be akin to suicide. Everyone *****es when there is spam in the forums, then TC stops it, and everyone *****es about THAT solution.

Now ... THAT being said -- while I understand they are incredibly busy, they need to spend the hour or two it requires to get the new forum software online. They got a brand new firmware out, all the current incompatibilities are fixed -- this is THE time to make it happen. Then, we mods can do our job.

However, if given the choice between the current forum software being open to the public or not - as a longtime user and member here, I would be pissed to hell if it were reopened and the spam came flooding in.

While I'm a mod here, I receive zero compensation - so this message isn't being funded by TC. I run a very large successful forum as well, so I know exactly what's going on behind the scenes. I've had to shut my forums OFF due to similar problems (and I have MORE MODS that they have here). I am sympathetic.

In any event, I agree the forums need to be reopened. I also believe being closed is the best plan until the new forum software gets installed.

Shane R. Monroe"

So there you go, makes sense to me.

3. blainy
    OP

Australia
    thanks for the reply.. i do understand that the spam was an issue for them, tyhat was all i kept reading in my travels through the interwebs researching this problem. do you think it would be worth my while to email and request an account?? or would that not be advisable??

4. irulethegalaxy

Newcomer irulethegalaxy Member

United States
    The forums have been closed for MONTHS. MONTHS. I sincerely doubt that they are EVER going to install this supposed "software upgrade" to fix whatever security holes they percieve exist. I think that Team Cyclops has decided that actually HAVING a forum and customer support is too much work and they've decided that if you haven't already registered, too bad.

I seriously wish I had gotten another card. I feel that Cyclods doesn't give a damn about having me as a customer. I can't even discuss problems or thoughts on their card on their forum, and their beta forum is 100% locked away from view if you aren't a registered user. At least at the EZflash forums I was able to register and read their forums!

That post that someone quoted by Shane R Monroe. . . that was posted on their forum WEEKS ago. He's a mod there and about the most Cyclos-rah-rah-rah person in existance. Of course he's going to think that any decision they make is *wonderful, awesome, genius*, but even he thinks its time to reopen the forums. But Team Cyclos does. not. care. And the other "keep the forum closed" people? Well, they're already able to use the forums. So what do they care if anyone else can?

I would NOT recommend that anyone buy a Cyclods until and unless they reopen their forums. Why should you? All the other currently-supported cards do the SAME thing, and they haven't locked away their forums. I actually emailed Team Cyclos asking when/if the forums would be opened again and also asking a question about something I had a problem with. They "white listed" my email, but I got absolutely no response from them--either about the forum or about my question. None.

Had I realized that the forum would stay closed (forever--really, they are not EVER going to be opening it again), I would have never bought a Cyclods in the first place. I should have figured out after a couple of weeks that Team Cyclos doesn't give a damn about their customers--they've got enough of a base already in their forums to figure out if the software is working or not, why bother with anyone else and their problems--I would have sent it back for a refund. I spent a premium for their card because I was led to believe that it had real customer support (which was the reason I was upgrading from my R4), but that is a huge LIE. I am greatly disappointed in Team Cyclops and their card.

(If one of you folks actually has access to their forums, I'd appreciate it if you could copy and paste this on their board. They should know how their customers are feeling about their product, even if they really couldn't care less. Just so they'll know why when people stop buying their product).

5. blainy
    OP

Australia
    hmm.........i think tomorrow i will TRY to get in conatct woith support over at Team Cyclops about this, as i want an answer..also, i may even try to contact this shane monroe guy, if he can be found anywhere. (i know he it isnt his fault, but from the post that was quoted, he seems quite reasonable, and may be able to shed more light on teh situation..)

6. TraumaHoundNDS

Member TraumaHoundNDS GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I think not making a purchase based solely on whether you can post on their forum seems a bit off. Does every product out there have a forum? Do you only buy those that do? Do you then spend your days discussing such products with other like-minded individuals? Doubtful.

While, yes, it'd be nice to be able to contribute to their forum instead of going somewhere else (wait, what's wrong with hanging out here?!), they're in the business of flashcart design, not forum moderation (which is pretty clearly laid out in MrSpud's post.) I find I prefer sites like GBAtemp here since it's a meeting point for all sorts of gamers who have questions or ideas instead of segregating myself to just Cyclo's site just because I have a CycloDS (which, I'll admit, I wasn't aware of their closed-to-registration status as I've been registered with them for quite a while, much longer than I've actually had a CycloDS, so I still have forum access.)

As for BETA access, doesn't look like anything is being offered for testing (last was v1.5b4). So you're not missing out on anything at this time.

7. kobykaan

Member kobykaan GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    lol if they had any sense they bothered to have the posts set to FIRST POST MODERATED @ the admin panel for the time being to slow the spammers down and it would save a whole heap of problems to begin with .....

The mods just have to keep an eye on each new post to allow or disallow them before they even get seen by the public!

They also need to use/implement the INFRACTION SCHEME so that the moderators can ban and clean up spam in real time!

better still get a proper moderation team that can actually keep on top of the spam situation as it happens instead of just closing the forum!? (Sure fire way to pee off your customer base!)

Even with a few hundred spam posts you can shift them pretty fast if you know your way around the moderation controls of any forum!

just ask any of the team here its not that difficult!

8. MrSpud

Member MrSpud GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Considering how fast the team was to fix the compatibility issue with Chrono trigger, it's obvious that they care about their customers. I bought 3 cyclods and recommended one, I thinks it's the best cart out there. Forum or not, it does everything it's suppose to do. Yes it sucks but it doesn't make the product inferior. Support and product are two very different things, if your cart works like it should, why do you need to post on their forum? If you just want to be part of the community your time is better spent here, a much more active and not so strict forum. If you have problems, many people around here are willing to help you.

9. Isaiah

Member Isaiah The Conductor

Australia
    hey wait a minute if they have like cut off most ways of contacting them could it be possible that they are being discontinued and being taken legal action against!!!!!!!! no more cyclo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. blainy
    OP

Australia

rather than closing the forums to new registrations, couldnt they implement some sort of invite system wehreby current users could hand out registration codes or somthing?..it would be nice to be able to contribute feature requests, and just to contribute in general to a threads over there that i find i want to participate in.. as for teh beta forums thing, im not wanting necessarily to have acess to teh latest beta firmwares (although that would be nice as they become available, even if i can get them elsewhere eventually), but it would be nice to be able to acess threads in said sub-forum, to see whtat Team Cyclops is up to with thier firmware features and such.