Tales of the Abyss...

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by DaRk_AnGeL_ZoA, Sep 5, 2012.

Sep 5, 2012

Tales of the Abyss... by DaRk_AnGeL_ZoA at 9:04 PM (4,086 Views / 1 Likes) 29 replies

1. DaRk_AnGeL_ZoA
    OP

Newcomer DaRk_AnGeL_ZoA Member

United Kingdom
    I bought Tales of the Abyss back in June but stopped playing after 30 minutes because I couldn't find a guide so I was wondering if there's a guide for it?

1 person likes this.

2. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    It's a port so there are tons of guides.
    http://www.gamefaqs.com/3ds/609541-tales-of-the-abyss/faqs

3. weavile001

Member weavile001 Spiritmaster

Brazil
    gamefaqs?

4. Ryupower

Member Ryupower Brood

United States
    and if people are wondering the game WAS on the ps2 1st, so, the ps2 guides should work fine for the game

5. pokefloote

Member pokefloote GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Yes, and the games are IDENTICAL. There are no changes at all.

6. bahamut920

Member bahamut920 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Wait, they're 100% identical (except for 3D)? Is there any reason somebody who has the PS2 version would actually want to buy it?

7. kirbymaster101

Member kirbymaster101 GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    Better loading times and better graphics.

8. Ryupower

Member Ryupower Brood

United States
    i have the ps2 version and got the 3ds version

it nice to have portable version of games, so you can play them almost anywhere

9. jrk190

Member jrk190 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    They're mostly the same, the 3DS version is missing voice clips and costumes, though...

10. ameerh

Newcomer ameerh Member

Pakistan
    Hey guys... I got tales of the abyss too but i'm having difficulties mastering the combat system (never played a tales game before)... is there a combat tutorial or guide or video? I looked at gamefaqs and the other websites... but all i see are game guides and walkthroughs..

Ive seen people play it in videos and stuff but i can never do what they do (link attacks one after the other.. and so on)

11. ShadowNeko003

Member ShadowNeko003 ~Nyah~

United States
    There's the ingame tutorial: http://www.twitch.tv/yoshifan007/b/278091937 but I'm pretty sure you already know that.

Here's one about FoF: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izBJGvm9dQo&feature=plcp

As for pulling link attacks, you have to set certain attacks to certain command buttons so that you can quickly access them to pull a chain. Don't worry, I didn't really figure it out until like half through the game.

So for example, Guy's Soaring Gale creates a 25% green/wind base FoF. (I'm going by PS2 but I'm not sure if the settings are different from the 3DS and PS2.)Guy's Beast requires a 100% green/wind base FoF to perform Thunder Beast. If a Sunlight Chamber in attached in Guy's Fon Slot Chamber for Beast, by having Guy stand in the low FoF and performing Beast, Beast will turn to Thunder Beast.

A bit confusing, but, it's just all how you set up the skills and chambers. I didn't get any of this stuff until like halfway through the game, so yeah.

Here's some more links that I think you will find useful.

FoF: http://tales.namco.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=51096
    Skill Guide: http://tales.namco.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=49767
    Combat Strategies: http://tales.namco.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1822975
    HInts: http://www.tales-central.com/?q=abysstips (this one might have some spoilers, so I would advise if you dont like spoilers, dont go here)

12. Nalmontes

Newcomer Nalmontes Advanced Member

United States
    If you need a guide use greyfox's guide on Gamefaqs. It's really well organized and lists the sidequests at the time you can do them so it's helpful if you want to 100% it. Also the game requires a second playthrough to get everything because some quests don't open up until then. My suggestion would be to play this game without a guide and then use it for your second playthrough. Have fun with it, its an excellent game!

1 person likes this.
  13. Vampire Lied

Member Vampire Lied Resident sociopath

United States
    What voice clips and costumes are missing?
    There's a shit ton of voice acting, so I may have missed it. As far as costumes, I've already unlocked some, even the swimsuits. I thought it was an exact port, just in 3d. I only wish they had given the cinematics the 3d treatment. Also, the volume during cinematics sucks for some reason.
    Btw, ps2 guide works fine. If you need visual help on the warehouse puzzles, YouTube is your friend.

14. SilentGaia

Newcomer SilentGaia Newbie

United States
    I thought the port was an exact one of the PS2 version, though I do prefer to play in 2D instead of 3D, though occasionally, I switch to 3D for the hell of it. . -stole game from friend because I'm too poor to buy games atm but yeah...-

15. Hells Malice

Member Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    You stopped playing after 30 minutes because you didn't have a guide?

Holy crap that's so sad and pathetic I don't even know how to respond.

8 people like this.
  16. ameerh

Newcomer ameerh Member

Pakistan
    Thanks guys! Esp @[member='ShadowNeko003']! I'll check the links out when i get home from work

17. kirbymaster101

Member kirbymaster101 GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    I think TC meant that there we no voices in skits? I Really wish they had it:(

18. godreborn

Member godreborn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I'd suggest going through the game once on ur own then maybe a second time with a guide that has all of the missables and side quests. I've heard that u have to go through the game twice anyway just to collect everything anyway. I'm currently about 10 hours in, and that is the way I've chosen to play the game. it might go for a more enjoyable experience...that's my opinion anyway.

19. Vampire Lied

Member Vampire Lied Resident sociopath

United States
    Yeah, to get 100% completion, a second playthrough is required. I'm on my second myself and will do my 3rd run with a guide to pick up things I missed.

20. Nalmontes

Newcomer Nalmontes Advanced Member

United States
    Yeah some costumes and the bonus dungeon plus parts of the collectors book can only be gotten on a second playthrough. I've completed this game four times, twice on the ps2 and twice on the 3ds. Its one of my favorite RPGs of all time. Also if you like this game and you have an xbox 360 check out Tales of Vesperia. Its in the same series and its got some of the most amazing characters in the series. If you have a ps3 Tales of Xillia is set to come out next year, I haven't played it but apparently its got the best story in all of the series.