Homebrew Tales of Phantasia and Star Ocean

Batman55

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I want to play these two games and I found versions that have been unofficially translated. However, when I try to run them, I just get black screens. Does anyone know if snemulds can play translated snes games?

They both look really fun and I want to try them, but I don't know japanese. I also can't play the GBA english TOP version because I don't have a slot 2 card.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
theclaw said:
Even if you do make them run, it probably wouldn't be worth the bother. Emulating snes on ds can take quite a lot of frameskip.
Actually there is no frameskip used at all. It wouldn't do anything, as less than 5% of the CPU time is spent drawing to the screen. This is because the SNES emulators for the DS utilize the DS's dedicated 2D hardware for drawing to the screen. This gives them a chance at running at full speed but introduces graphical errors as a result. If they used a software emulator instead, the graphics would be better but you would need to use frameskip to maintain a playable speed. For a quick comparison, play the same game in both NES DS and NesterDS (which recently received an update giving it DLDL support, so it's easy to test). NES DS uses a hardware renderer and thus runs very quickly, while NesterDS requires a modest frameskip (3-5 for most games) just to maintain full speed.

In answer to the question, SNEmulDS usually doesn't fare too well with rom hacks, though usually translations work fine. I guess in this case it just doesn't work, no real way to explain it better. You can try disabling sound, but if that doesn't get you in-game then I don't think anything will.

GameDragon

Mugiwara RAWR!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Tales of Phantasia I don't know about, but Star Ocean is not compatible and probably won't be for a long time. It uses a special graphic hardware which currently isn't emulated by the DS.

Batman55

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for the help guys. I just want a good ARPG with that kind of classic sidescrolling combat. But not a real problem, I will continue to play TWEWY until something new comes out.

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
With these two specific games, Wii or PSP handle them better. They should run on the SNES9x Wii port.

While the PS1 Tales of Phantasia would likely perform well on PSP's emulator, and both have actual PSP ports in Japan if you know the language.

s0ldats

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
better off playing the ToP GBA port on a slot2 card. Star Ocean for snes used the SDD1 chip which wasn't even emulated until late in the development of snes9x and zsnes.

if i'm not mistaken there's a port of snes9x for psp? it should run on that, and quite well.

manias

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
for the psp there's a 100% translation patch for the ps1 iso of tales of phantasia, and for star ocean there's a translation patch for the snes rom. Both work 100% at the psp. Or you could wait until september for the star ocean 1 remake to come to the US @ psp
smile.gif

ToP ps1 translation patch: http://zettaizero.wordpress.com/
Star Ocean snes translation patch: http://www.dejap.com/

PKGINGO

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought there was a way to use a device that has extra RAM, like the 3 in 1, as sort of a paging type system. Anyone have information on this?

Shyvnal

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah. You can use the 3 in 1 (and other ram expansions afaik) with 0.6. I don't think they work, though. Ill give em a try.
Edit: Neither of 'em work, black screens.

PKGINGO

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well SO won't work because of the SDD1 chip, but its a shame games greater than 4MB don't work... Gotta find a way to get up to 12 MB
wink.gif
You'll see
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill