Tablet Talk

Discussion in 'GBAtemp Art Studio' started by Private|Par, Jul 17, 2008.

Jul 17, 2008

Tablet Talk by Private|Par at 6:57 AM (3,342 Views / 0 Likes) 31 replies

1. Private|Par
    OP

Member Private|Par GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    Three days ago for my birthday I got a Wacom Bamboo Fun, 6inches by 4 inches. I was new to the world of tablets, so I got the cheapest one I could come by. I'm loving it, the feel is really great and it works fine for my intended purposes. Anyone else here got a tablet? Or thinking about getting one? What tablet should I go for next.

2. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    Did the same thing a few months back and it's one of the best impluse-buys I've made all year. I haven't really used it much yet (been far too busy!), but I was amazed how much quicker working with a tablet is than working with a mouse. I only wanted something basic to do web-style graphics with so I got the cheapest one they do, the "Bamboo One". There's no buttons on the tablet and just 2 on the pen but it suits my needs just fine. I'm a pencil-and-paper person at heart so I never thought I'd be using it to draw straight onto the computer, but I love just doodling in PSP [​IMG]

3. matriculated

Member matriculated GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    I have a Wacom but I never use it. I could never get used to drawing on it.

4. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    I'm thinking about getting one... I've seen a Wacom Bamboo Fun, but I fear it might be a little too small to draw easily. How it is for big drawings? You have to scroll around or something like that?

I've never tried one so I don't really know if I could get used to it...

5. Orc

Member Orc ‎(ღ˘⌣˘ღ)

Hong Kong
    I tried one at a Wacom booth at a convention I went to.
    Ish hard.
    Screw tablets.
    (But that's just my opinion, I'm comfortable mouse person. I even say fuck you to trackballs.)

6. podunk1269

Member podunk1269 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I have a tablet conversion laptop, I fucking love love love it

7. Commander

Member Commander GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I have a A3 tablet I got off Ebay, brilliant for inking line art and for sketching concepts for my 3D work.

8. podunk1269

United States
    I use an exturnal keyboard in tablet mode, but FPS games are awesome when i can tap the screen and it works great for my tat designs

9. myuusmeow

Member myuusmeow GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    My dad has one of those. The screen seems to have way too much friction as it literally is hard to draw and makes a sound like you're digging into it. Still a awesome device though.

I couldn't imagine drawing with my hand while looking at something else to see what I drew. That would seem way to confusing for me, what if I want to like ink a drawing? How would I know were to draw.

10. podunk1269

United States
    which model does he have, I bave the tx1120us and don t have any problems like that

11. myuusmeow

United States
    I don't really know, it's his work laptop so he usually keeps it there and never brings it home, because when you try to connect to my WiFi, it screws up his work's WiFi so he has to wait an age for the 'technicians' to come. I know its one of those incredibly thin and incredibly heavy Lenovo ThinkPads. (doesn't help much does it [​IMG])

12. Psyfira

United Kingdom
    You watch a little arrow moving on a screen without watching your hand on the mouse all the time, it's the same principle really. [​IMG] After a while you forget your hand's even there. Sure you have to adapt and learn how to use it same as any tool, but it's not as difficult as it sounds. It's a different way of drawing, I don't think it's quite as personal as other media but that's just a matter of opinion.

13. myuusmeow

United States
    I completely forgot that if you hold the pen within like 1 inch of the screen it shows the arrow! My bad. Haven't used the tablet for awhile now.

14. Doomsday Forte

Member Doomsday Forte GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    How DARE you. *has been a trackball person since...uh...a long while ago* I don't do any art though so that's my excuse. I would kinda look at getting a tablet since I used to draw on paper, but...eh, another peripheral I wouldn't use often I'm sure...

15. Private|Par
    OP

Member Private|Par GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    Yeah, you eventually get used to the tablet. I think it's because that when you're normally using a pen, your eyes are used to watching exactly what you're drawing on. Raulpica, for larger drawings, you need to scroll sometimes, obviously. But the bigger the tablet you get the less you have to scroll, although your wallet will pay. I suggest getting a smallish tablet to start off with, and if you like using it, move up the range just as I plan on. You don't need to scroll so much that it becomes annoying, though.

16. superkrm

Member superkrm GBAtemp Fan

United States
  17. shaunj66

Administrator shaunj66 Administrator

United Kingdom
    Ah! I was going to make a tablet thread but then I saw this one [​IMG]

So I'm thinking of buying a tablet, what tablet would you guys recommend for about £50? I know that's not a lot of money to play with, but I'm on a budget and won't be using it for anything TOO intensive, I just want to get back into drawing - and it's tough with a mouse!

18. superkrm

Member superkrm GBAtemp Fan

United States
    i liked my old wacom, but i havent tried the new bamboo.

I guess you can start with that.

19. Psyfira

United Kingdom
    Amazon have got the A6 black Bamboo for around 50 quid; similar to but cheaper than the Bamboo Fun because it comes with less software (namebly Photoshop elements, which you've probably got a version of already). If you want something larger then the only other brand on the market is Trust. I hear your mileage with them may vary, some people love them, some hate, how long it lasts probably depends on how often you use it (and the fact that people who have no problem with economy tablets probably don't stop by to review them).

20. shaunj66

Administrator shaunj66 Administrator

United Kingdom
    How's this one?

Looks a bit small though... How small is too small?