Gaming System Update?

Christopho

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a few questions about updating my 3.3u to 4.0 via the Nintendo system software button thing.

1. When you update it do you choose which update to download (i.e. are there are icons/choices that you click which will download that specific update) or does it just download the most current one (i.e. 4.2)?

2. Are there any sites/ways to download individual updates then run it off a SD card?

3. Is it possible to Brick my wii (%'s would be nice) updating from 3.3u to 4.0 with Homebrew and Preloader installed (I know that 4.2 the brick % isn't that low since even wii's without Homebrew were bricked)?

Additional Info: I WOULD LIKE Homebrew/Preloader UNINSTALLED and I'm hoping to achieve that through updating to 4.0 (going to install SoftMii after) which is why I'm not going with Wankinko's 4.0 Updater, so please do not recommend that choice.

Requests:

1. Don't reply with idiotic statements like: 'You're an idiot just stay on 3.3 and go get a modchip stupid nubcake."

2. Links would be nice =)

3. Don't say "Try it yourself and see if it works", because I'm currently at a cousin's house and won't be getting back until Monday or later.

Alright, Thx in advance
happy.gif

P.S. If this thread is closed for any reason before people post help, you guys can contact me at [email protected].

Szalkow

RawkSD Cheerleader
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Christopho said:
I have a few questions about updating my 3.3u to 4.0 via the Nintendo system software button thing.

1. When you update it do you choose which update to download (i.e. are there are icons/choices that you click which will download that specific update) or does it just download the most current one (i.e. 4.2)?
2. Are there any sites/ways to download individual updates then run it off a SD card?
3. Is it possible to Brick my wii (%'s would be nice) updating from 3.3u to 4.0 with Homebrew and Preloader installed (I know that 4.2 the brick % isn't that low since even wii's without Homebrew were bricked)?

Additional Info: I WOULD LIKE Homebrew/Preloader UNINSTALLED and I'm hoping to achieve that through updating to 4.0 (going to install SoftMii after) which is why I'm not going with Wankinko's 4.0 Updater, so please do not recommend that choice.
1. Doing the official update (e.g. clicking 'Update' in an update notification in messages) automatically grabs the latest update.

2. It is possible, but somewhat tricky, to do it all yourself. I would recommend using NUS Downloader 1.3b to download the System Menu and all relevant IOSes and pack them into wads, then install them via a wad manager. Note that this is quite risky since it is possible to grab a stubbed IOS or the wrong IOS for your System Menu, resulting in bricks. It is strongly recommended to start with an official update, re-enable homebrew abilities, and THEN downgrade. If you want System Menu 4.0, you'll need to grab IOS60 v6174 and the System Menu 4.0 (v417-418 depending on region). DO NOT DO ANY OF THIS WITHOUT BRICK PROTECTION - BOOTMII BOOT2 IS RECOMMENDED. ANYTHING LESS IS RISKING A SYSTEM BRICK.

3. An official update will rarely brick (unless you do it during a lightning storm). All other upgrading/downgrading is also relatively safe if you READ ALL DIRECTIONS in associated guides and understand what you're doing.

If you reinstall the System Menu, Preloader will be uninstalled anyway; reinstalling IOS60 will also require you to reinstall Preloader. Homebrew Channel will usually be removed upon updating to 4.2, whereafter you can use BannerBomb to reinstall it. It can also be deleted in the Data Management menu.

A further comment: 3.3U is not a great System Menu, and there is almost no reason to use 3.2U anymore either. Go with 4.1/4.0 for the features, or 4.2 if you want to be up-to-date but don't mind losing some Preloader hacks (such as region-free Wii games). Modchips cost money and introduce problems - I say ignore them entirely.

Am0s

Mojo Risin
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I upgraded from 3.2 to 4.0 using wannikoko updater, had to bannerbomb as homebrew didnt work and only really wanted it for the SD card feature and extra capacity, if it wasnt for that I would still be on 3.2E, my advice read some guides and read them until you understand them 100% and then go through the guides step by step so you wont brick anything

timishu

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I recently used Dop-IOS MOD to install both IOS60 and System Menu 4.0. This was a very simple process and it did remove PreLoader from my Wii. Because you are trying to remove your Brick protection, I wouldn't highly recommend doing it this way, but it is a very simple way to update. And although it may involve a little more risk, it will probably be safer than using a "Safe" firmware updater, like wannikoko's 4.1 updater. If you choose to update your Wii with Dop-IOS MOD, Homebrew Channel can be removed with Bannerbomb and the HackMii installer.

Christopho

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright thanks for all the info ^^ i think i'm going to try the Dop-IOS MOD first, then if it doesnt work i'll go with wannikoko's 4.0 updater, because the SD card way seemed too complicated xD btw is it true GeckOS can play games (the homebrew app that is half ocarina half something else), if so do you just put in a backup disc or do you load it up with HDD (Hard Drive Disk)?

Edit: what game disc can install 4.0? That way, i can install just 4.0 and not 4.2 but i will be able to remove homebrew and preloader (correct me if i'm wrong xD)

razorback78

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Christopho said:
Alright thanks for all the info ^^ i think i'm going to try the Dop-IOS MOD first, then if it doesnt work i'll go with wannikoko's 4.0 updater, because the SD card way seemed too complicated xD btw is it true GeckOS can play games (the homebrew app that is half ocarina half something else), if so do you just put in a backup disc or do you load it up with HDD (Hard Drive Disk)?

Edit: what game disc can install 4.0? That way, i can install just 4.0 and not 4.2 but i will be able to remove homebrew and preloader (correct me if i'm wrong xD)
don't use wanin's 4.0 updater. that will install stub ios60 that may cause bricks. use dop-ios mod.

THitsu10

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i dunno if its just me...but ive used wanin's 4.0 updater a few times in the past month, and had no problem with it.... maybe its just the 4.1 updater that has the problem with installing the stub IOS?

anyone...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up