Hacking System update via WUP Installer?

trololo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tl;dr: 5.4.0 spoofed to 5.5.2; can't install haxchi or use disk 5.5.1 update

I recently got an ebay refurb Wii U with 5.4.0 installed and botched it by doing the following:
1) Spoofing 5.5.2 so that I could connect my NNID and download Brain Age via NNU-Patcher
2) Failing to install haxchi (because of course it doesn't work on 5.4, which I didn't realize)
3) Buying a game with 5.5.1 on disk and trying a disk update, which doesn't work because it looks like I have 5.5.2

I realize that the correct course of action would have been to buy a 5.5.1 disk from the start and update that way to get haxchi installed, but here we are.

Is there a way that I can get 5.5.1 installed (perhaps via WUP installer) now that I'm spoofed to 5.5.2? I know that I can still install games, etc and have most functionality without making changes, but I'd like full IOSU privileges.

Thanks!

Last edited by trololo,
Reactions: antiNT

trololo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No dice - failure to install with code FFFBFFC2, which doesn't come out to anything when googling. I assume it's due to the Wii U not allowing versions to downgrade.

If I could get the legit 5.5.0 + 5.5.1 system title files, I could slap the 5.5.2 version file on it, but I honestly don't know how / where to get those.

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No dice - failure to install with code FFFBFFC2, which doesn't come out to anything when googling. I assume it's due to the Wii U not allowing versions to downgrade.

If I could get the legit 5.5.0 + 5.5.1 system title files, I could slap the 5.5.2 version file on it, but I honestly don't know how / where to get those.
if you've already installed the 5.5.2 VersionInfo, you can probably just skip installing it.

trololo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, I can take a stab at installing individual titles. Any hint as to which version of WUPInstaller I should be using? I have the version used for spoofs that allow system titles.

There are 13 system titles according to https://yls8.mtheall.com/ninupdates/titlelist.php?date=08-17-15_08-05-05&sys=wup&reg=E (15 if you include 5.5.1). I thought I read that WUPInstaller Y mod blocks system titles, and I'm wary of using the other version in case something happens with popping out my sd card during the updates.

D

Deleted User

Hi;
I was trying to get this working but I ran into some issues. If you wouldn't mind testing, I can give you info, though it's very likely you'll brick.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

Maybe Sys Config Tool would work for downgrading the version title. I can't guarantee anything though.
If you do install that, be very careful with it and make sure you use punderino's version, not the unmodded one or you could brick, the unmodded one can only be used on redNAND! You can easily brick by selecting the wrong option. Only use it to install the version title and the remove it afterwards.
I can't stress enough how dangerous this tool is. Read the parts highlighted in red and make sure to follow them, and read everything else too.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: trololo

trololo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe Sys Config Tool would work for downgrading the version title. I can't guarantee anything though.
If you do install that, be very careful with it and make sure you use punderino's version, not the unmodded one or you could brick, the unmodded one can only be used on redNAND! You can easily brick by selecting the wrong option. Only use it to install the version title and the remove it afterwards.
I can't stress enough how dangerous this tool is. Read the parts highlighted in red and make sure to follow them, and read everything else too.

Thanks. I gave it a go (from this thread, correct me if I'm wrong on the version needed), and install fails with error FFFBF442, which some googling tells me is due to sig patching.

D

Deleted User

I'm willing to take moderate risk [hence the spoof], but I don't want to be foolish here. What's the idea?

Thanks. I gave it a go (from this thread, correct me if I'm wrong on the version needed), and install fails with error FFFBF442, which some googling tells me is due to sig patching.

Get the files needed for 5.5.0 and 5.5.1, use WUPInstaller GX2 (no relaunch, plus can run from HBL).
If it doesn't allow system apps we'll just have to remove that.

I'd say dump the WUD of your game and then use that for titles but no need :P

trololo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Get the files needed for 5.5.0 and 5.5.1, use WUPInstaller GX2 (no relaunch, plus can run from HBL).
If it doesn't allow system apps we'll just have to remove that.

I'd say dump the WUD of your game and then use that for titles but no need :P

I'm 50% sure that it can't install system titles [or perhaps there is some preparation step for installing system titles other than using nusgrabber].

EDIT: 100%. It was both - there's a fairly clear error message about not installing things other than games, updates, and DLC.

Last edited by trololo,
Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

Hey, I've had an idea, however you don't seem to have enough posts to DM yet. if you make 2 more posts, I should be able to DM you @trololo

trololo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
UPDATE: Thanks to advice from @PokeAcer I was able to update all system titles [except VersionData and the browser of course] to 5.5.1 versions.

Haxchi is working and it's purring.

Thanks!

EDIT: To be more explicit, I used WUPInstaller.

Last edited by trololo,
Reactions: Deleted User

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte