System Update Causes Problems. (2.1.0-E/U/J)

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by tigris, Jun 16, 2011.

Jun 16, 2011
  1. tigris
    OP

Member tigris Sentient Existential Anthropomorphic Sweet Potato

United Kingdom
    [​IMG]
    I went onto the eShop this morning. And guess what. "Update your 3DS" confronted me. Upon downloading this update, (2.1.0-3E) I find that eShop price fluctuations when you change your 3DS language are no longer available - i.e UK=20% tax, change to French, tax is less - and locks it, so you can't access the eShop in another language or use $ or Euros as a currency. OK, fair enough.

Also, battery life has dropped significantly. And charging times have lengthened. This is definite. Nintendo have done something utterly stupid with the battery life, and I can't think as to what is causing it. Unless Nintendo have actually placed this huge power eating bug inside the 3DS for their grand plans to launch 3DS Lite with a better battery (No, this won't happen- just me and my creative license). Overall system stability is Nintendo codeword for "bollocks". Nothing has changed; in fact, upon rising my 3DS from its sleep mode, the screen would not respond and I had to hold down the power button for it to shut down an restart. That worked.

This isn't an isolated case. I know several people, (I believe the count is "7") who actually possess 3DSes on System Menu 2.1.0-3E, and every single one has reported a red battery life notification light much earlier than if they were using System Menu 2.0/1.1. Furthermore, one of these seven experienced a freeze in Ridge Racer directly after the update, not even getting past the Single Player menu. Wonderous.

Frankly, I am fed up with Nintendo releasing system updates which don't do what they say on the tin. Sort it out, Nintendo. You've had three goes at it so far, and although the 3DS is amazing, you've got to admit that you can't fix certain errors, or be less ambiguous. "Increasing System Stability" can be acheived by propping the said console on a table leg, thank you very much.

Warning: Spoilers inside!

2. Amiti

Member Amiti GBAtemp Regular

United States
    While I have yet to see if I have less battery power (I'm pretty sure yes), can anyone confirm if after the updates 2.0 that the 3DS takes longer to charge up? I had played on my 3DS and the red light started blinking. So I put it in the cradle to charge up at 2 PM. I'm back home at 6:40 and my light is still on .___.;;

3. Windaga

Member Windaga GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I haven't experienced any of these problems at all, (though I haven't checked about any currency changing) and I updated the moment the update was available. Sorry to hear that you're having problems.

4. leeday100196

Member leeday100196 GBAtemp's Official Infernapeā„¢

Australia
    Add me to that 7 to make it 8. I had a 3/4 full battery yesterday morning when I left for school, and when school started, it was red. Lowest brightness setting, powersave on, but streetpass was on and we don't have wireless internet at school. Also it was in sleep mode the whole time.

5. Slyakin

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    Nope, I don't have any battery issues aside from the regular ones. I can't say I know what you've been doing, but my battery still lasts 7-8 hours.

6. Nollog

Member Nollog GBAtemp Addict

Ireland
    What is this?
    I don't understand.

7. Hydreigon

Member Hydreigon Isn't that DELICIOUS!?

Antarctica
    I've had no problems with battery life after updating, mainly because I'm using the Nyko Power Pak+

@Nollog Before the update, you could change your location so that you wouldn't have to pay tax. Well, now you can't.

8. dgwillia

Member dgwillia The Bacon Lover

United States
    My 3DS has been on Sleep Mode/Street Pass mode all day, still fully charged

Must be a console issue or something?

9. Nollog

Ireland
    I know but she mentioned "lock" does it lock you to a region now?

10. loco365

Member loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Well, seeing as I live in the Canadian province with the lowest GST (Alberta at 5% GST), I'm not being dinged much. But, I wouldn't know of that change because I can't use Prepaid Visas, and there are no prepaid 3DS eShop cards here until July. :/ But regardless, I have really noticed that my battery life has plumetted because I can keep it in my pocket and use it for maybe 20 minutes in DS MODE, and maybe 10 in 3D mode, 3rd brightness with power save on, and by the time I get home, it's nearly dead.

Nintendo had better make a new battery and offer it for free to existing 3DS users, regardless if the warranty is void or not because if my 3DS only runs for that long, there is definately an issue.

Now, I want to go make an animation of a 3DS printing money. kthxbai.

11. ccfreak2k

Newcomer ccfreak2k Advanced Member

United States
    He is sad that his system for committing tax evasion doesn't work anymore.

12. chartube12

Member chartube12 GBAtemp Addict

United States
    I have noticed a drop in battery life since the latest update as well. Before the update I could play Zelda LA DX for 5 hours and the battery would only drop 2 bars on 2nd lowest brightness. Now after the update, it drops just 2 bars in a hour and half on the 2nd brightness, same game. With the 3D off I can only play Samurai Warriors for an hour before needing to recharge, before the update I could play with 3D on for 4 hours before needing charging. WTH did Nintendo do?

13. Pong20302000

Member Pong20302000 making notes on everything

Japan
    wouldn't surprise me guys if Nintendo have done the following

basically they found a BIG hole in game data where you could load a flashcard

so there is a constant background data check to check if there is illegal code execution for the time being until they find a way to patch it

most likely the hole team LGC used to load up there roms

only reason i can think of a battery drain like this

but to be honest i havent noticeda battery drain

but i have only been playing Zelda OOT and VC: Zelda LA

14. pachura

Member pachura GBAtemp Advanced Fan

I've also noticed that recharging takes ages now.

15. Fluto

Member Fluto A potato in disguise

Australia
    YES THE BATTERY LEVELS ARE LOWER!!!

"
    I would take my 3DS to school (untill i get my first streetpass hit) and at the end of school (when i go home)
    its on the 3rd bar so it used one thats allright.
    Now for the update AHEEM, when i take it out the blue light's not even on (dead) or its blinking red.
    sigh....
    "

16. Nollog

Ireland
    I found my battery lasting longer on .3 than on .2

pong: it's spotpass that's drawing the power.
    It's checking for downloads constantly now.

17. indask8

Member indask8 New Member Forever

France
    You have a screen protector?

Check that it doesn't goes under one of the corner of the touch screen... because it can freeze the menu...

you can reproduce the problem easily: take your stylus on the main menu and press and keep pressed somewhere without icon (one of the gray part of the menu) try to move with the D-Pad, Analog Stick... yes it's stuck.

If the top screen was frozen too, that's another problem.

18. Walrus-Chan

Member Walrus-Chan Advanced Member

United States
    I haven't noticed the battery not lasting as long but it does seem to take longer to charge now

19. MEGAMANTROTSKY

Member MEGAMANTROTSKY GBAtemp Fan

United States
    This saddens me. I have an itch to purchase one of these someday and all I seem to hear about it is bad news.

20. tigris
    OP

Member tigris Sentient Existential Anthropomorphic Sweet Potato

United Kingdom
    I've disabled SpotPass's automatic software downloads, and battery life has improved significantly...but not to the same level as before. Nintendo's done something.