System Transfer -> OLED Switch impact on EmuMMC?

Aternel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello!

I'm going to acquire the new OLED Switch model when it comes out, and I'm having difficulties figuring out the best way to do a system transfer/play on it.

Current situation : I own a v1 Switch with a clean SysNAND and an offline EmuMMC. It has 2 user accounts linked to 2 nintendo accounts (mine and my brother's)

What I want : be able to access all of my legally owned games on my new OLED Switch through the 2 linked user/nintendo accounts, AND keep the offline EmuMMC on the v1 Switch.

What I want ideally : for my brother to be able to use the v1 Switch as his own, but with the 2 linked user/nintendo accounts still there.

What would be the best way to achieve that? Will a system transfer from v1 -> OLED touch the offline EmuMMC in any way? Or should I keep the v1 Switch as-is, and simply activate the OLED switch as a Primary Console?

Really lost here. Thanks!

Azmort

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
The purpose of EmuMMC is to have a secondary system, so anything you do on SysNAND won't affect your EmuMMC, you will have a new SysNAND but your EmuMMC will remain intact.

Reactions: Aternel

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can link your accounts to more than one system at once but you can only designate one unit as primary switch, the other unit would need to be check before it can access your content if it is not primary, as for transfer goes you should be fine, it will move your profile from old unit to oled, and game needs to be redownload. Save would be moved

Reactions: godreborn

Aternel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
You can link your accounts to more than one system at once but you can only designate one unit as primary switch, the other unit would need to be check before it can access your content if it is not primary, as for transfer goes you should be fine, it will move your profile from old unit to oled, and game needs to be redownload. Save would be moved
So let's say I move only my user account (not system transfer) to the OLED Switch, and make it my primary switch: if my brother makes the v1 switch his primary switch, we wouldn't run into any online-only limitations right? But then what happens if I add my user account to the v1 switch, and my brother adds his one to the OLED - would the v1 be my secondary system, and the OLED his secondary system? Is it even possible? Thanks!

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So let's say I move only my user account (not system transfer) to the OLED Switch, and make it my primary switch: if my brother makes the v1 switch his primary switch, we wouldn't run into any online-only limitations right? But then what happens if I add my user account to the v1 switch, and my brother adds his one to the OLED - would the v1 be my secondary system, and the OLED his secondary system? Is it even possible? Thanks!

You can only run game from one system at a time that is link to the same account. Primary console doesn't need online check , secondary unit does.

Reactions: zxr750j

Thorhax

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You guys are doing it all wrong....
1.On your V1 sysnand, remove all your saved wifi networks, and turn on airplane mode.
2. Login to your nintendo account on a PC and unlink the V1 switch from your account.
3. Buy and OLED and login with your old Sysnand profile, install games $$$ profit.

This has the added benefit of your V1 not needing to check with nintendo's servers everytime you want to play a game.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure you can transfer the primary switch designation during a system transfer. I remember doing that with my hackable switch to my animal crossing one, which is now my primary switch. the system transfer may transfer that by default actually.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You guys are doing it all wrong....
1.On your V1 sysnand, remove all your saved wifi networks, and turn on airplane mode.
2. Login to your nintendo account on a PC and unlink the V1 switch from your account.
3. Buy and OLED and login with your old Sysnand profile, install games $$$ profit.

This has the added benefit of your V1 not needing to check with nintendo's servers everytime you want to play a game.

You have certain games like pokemon that doesn't use cloud save, so for people that want the save they have to transfer the profile, cloud save doesn't solve that issue.

Reactions: Thorhax

Angely

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You have certain games like pokemon that doesn't use cloud save, so for people that want the save they have to transfer the profile, cloud save doesn't solve that issue.
You can actually still manually transfer those saves over without transfering the profile. As it's login is still on the same profile either way so it will still work. Also profile transfer can be risky as some saves aren't transferable so they'd get deleted from your old system if you do a complete profile transfer without knowing that.

So to be save you should manually transfer any important saves that don't have cloud support 1st.

Last edited by Angely,

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can actually still manually transfer those saves over without transfering the profile. As it's login is still on the same profile either way so it will still work. Also profile transfer can be risky as some saves aren't transferable so they'd get deleted on your old system if you do a profile transfer without knowing that.

No problem here, I done it twice, 4 profiles each time. Login into another unit with the same account doesn't grant you save that doesn't use cloud save.

Angely

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
No problem here, I done it twice, 4 profiles each time. Login into another unit with the same account doesn't grant you save that doesn't use cloud save.
Sigh, it seems you didn't get my post. I was just saying that those saves could also be transferred to your new system without transfering the profile via a system transfer, meaning that after you login with the same account you can acces them. They will no longer be on your old system though unless you have homebrew & have them backed up & restored that way.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sigh, it seems you didn't get my post. I was just saying that those saves could also be transferred to your new system without transfering the profile via a system transfer, meaning that after you login with the same account you can acces them. They will no longer be on your old system though unless you have homebrew & have them backed up & restored that way.

OP doesn't want to use homebrew to transfer save.

Angely

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
OP doesn't want to use homebrew to transfer save.
He doesn't have to it's a built in feature. You can manually transfer saves between systems if you want to have the same profile on 2 systems. You could actually even have 2 completely different savefiles that way if you don't use cloud backup, only downside is that without homebrew you can't keep a copy of both if you want to transfer you'd have to choose.

Last edited by Angely,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I plan to do a system transfer to my oled in about two months, when I get a 1TB micro sd, but should I format the unit before that or can I do a system transfer when it's already gone through initial setup, downloaded my saves, etc.?

Angely

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I plan to do a system transfer to my oled in about two months, when I get a 1TB micro sd, but should I format the unit before that or can I do a system transfer when it's already gone through initial setup, downloaded my saves, etc.?
No need to format the unit's initial setup is same as wha'd you get after a system format.

Reactions: godreborn

Angely

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It's possible, but be aware that it could cause conflict/problems when pre-ordering/purchasing eshop games if you don't pay close attention to it. I have one of my sisters account as secondary on my primary nswitch, while she has my acc. on too on her nswitch & it already got her pre-order cancelled 1x somehow when we both pre-ordered the same game. It's quite a hassle getting the same games for yourself without removing the 2nd acc. We luckily rarely pre-order eshop games & at the time she happened to be glad it got cancelled in the end, but ofc. it's unacceptable under normal circumstances.

Last edited by Angely,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit: hey