Hacking System Settings gone. Have I bricked it?

Metalman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
So I was following this guide: https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-how-to-install-a-cfw-on-a-9-0-9-2-n3ds-without-cn-oot.398394/ on my N3DS XL MM edition which is on 9.0 firmware up the 3rd step where I install rx-tools and boot into emunand.

The thing is that after that I went to check if I was indeed on emunand version 9.0 but my System Settings icon is gone and also trying to access them through the Home Settings Menu just kicks me back into the home menu.
This doesnt change if I remove the SD or even use the original one that came with it.

Have I bricked it? I was just following the guide. Is it in any case outdated?
Damn it am so mad right now.

-Regards

CrispyYoshi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No idea, but if you have web browser and a NAND backup, you can try restoring your NAND via Gateway launcher. Just hold Up and press "A" on "Downgrade Firmware" with your "NAND.bin" on the root of your SD card.

Metalman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Yes I did back up my NAND as the guide said so in bold letters. Should I keep that NAND back up on the root of my sdcard always or will it mess with things when doing things with rx-tools and emunand?

Bu2d85

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes I did back up my NAND as the guide said so in bold letters. Should I keep that NAND back up on the root of my sdcard always or will it mess with things when doing things with rx-tools and emunand?
Keep it there and on your computer. You can never have too many copies.

CrispyYoshi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can leave it on your computer, but it must be in your SD root named "NAND.bin" if you want to restore it via gateway launcher. You can delete it from your card afterward (but keep it safe on your computer in case something like this happens again)

Metalman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I restored my nand backup through gateway but nothing changed. System Settings is still missing.
I can boot into HBL, Pasta cfw, Cubic ninja, Gateway and rx tools but still no system settings.

Exactly how fucked am I right now?

CrispyYoshi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I restored my nand backup through gateway but nothing changed. System Settings is still missing.
I can boot into HBL, Pasta cfw, Cubic ninja, Gateway and rx tools but still no system settings.

Exactly how fucked am I right now?
That is very strange. Is it missing from EmuNAND or SysNAND?

Either way, I think you can live through browserhax and then use homemenuhax to boot into HBL, then use that to boot into RXTools from now on. System Settings isn't necessary, but updating EmuNAND might be a pain without it... Although I wonder if browserhax>RxTools Devmode>Sysupdater into 9.2 will give you a clean firmware update, fixing the system settings? Just a theory, though.

Metalman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I guess both since it isnt there with or without the sd card inserted. Isnt necessary? I cant even access internet settings or format stuff without it. I cant believe am the only one that has this. What could I possibly have fucked up in a simple tutorial

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Install system settings (MSET) into NAND using FBI, or install it using devmenu. See if that makes your icon come back. You'll have to find it at a certain ISO place for 3DS if you don't have it already...

Edit: and No, you did not "brick" it. That term comes from the phrase "about as useful as a brick". If you try to turn your system on and get absolutely nothing (or a blue screen, or whatever), then you've bricked it.

Last edited by urherenow,

CrispyYoshi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Install system settings (MSET) into NAND using FBI, or install it using devmenu. See if that makes your icon come back. You'll have to find it at a certain ISO place for 3DS if you don't have it already...
Is that even going to work for sysnand, though? I don't think it will let Metalman run system settings without disabling signature checks via a cfw.

I say run pasta, install fbi, install sysupdater, then use sysupdater to perform a clean system update to 9.2 and it should hopefully get you back to square 1.

Last edited by CrispyYoshi,

tjhooker73

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is that even going to work for sysnand, though? I don't think it will let Metalman run system settings without disabling signature checks via a cfw.

I say run pasta, install fbi, install sysupdater, then use sysupdater to perform a clean system update to 9.2 and it should hopefully get you back to square 1.
If he installs the 4.x system settings file he will have it on sysnand and it will run fine as it is a system file.

Metalman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Are we talking about the same mset file located in the gateway.zip that your guide says to use in the last step?
If yes, is this the correct procedure: HBL>pasta>fbi>install mset to nand?

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You don't need sysupdate for that. you can simply install MSET. Of course, you need FBI or devmenu installed, but that goes without saying. rxtools and other things let you boot into sysnand with signature checks patched. You can use ctrbootmanager with browserhax to boot HBL on top of rxmode sysnand and use the .3dsx version of FBI to install MSET and also to install FBI.CIA or whatever else you want.

sysupdater was only made so you didn't have to install each firmware file individually. It's a time saver.

Are we talking about the same mset file located in the gateway.zip that your guide says to use in the last step?
that'll work :)

but if you don't already have FBI installed, you'll have to launch HBL again to use FBI.3dsx.

Last edited by urherenow,

CrispyYoshi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You don't need sysupdate for that. you can simply install MSET. Of course, you need FBI or devmenu installed, but that goes without saying. rxtools and other things let you boot into sysnand with signature checks patched. You can use ctrbootmanager with browserhax to boot HBL on top of rxmode sysnand and use the .3dsx version of FBI to install MSET and also to install FBI.CIA or whatever else you want.

sysupdater was only made so you didn't have to install each firmware file individually. It's a time saver.
Right, although I suggested wiping the whole thing in case it wasn't just MSET.

If he installs the 4.x system settings file he will have it on sysnand and it will run fine as it is a system file.
Oh, is that so? Thanks for the info!

EDIT: Actually, yes. Disregard this post, because it really is included in the Gateway pack for N3DS.

Last edited by CrispyYoshi,

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You'll need to use a cia installer like FBI or DevMenu to install MSET 4.x.cia to your sysnand under pasta or rxtools dev mode, which you can find on the "ISO" and "3DS" site. (Copyrighted material I can't link)

Devmode (now called pasta mode) is not necessary for installing MSET. It is necessary for installing FIRMs (NATIVE_FIRM, AGB_FIRM, etc) which is why you need it for a full system update. He just needs to be in sysnand with signature checks patched and kernel permissions so he can run the .cia installer.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol