"System Files Corrupt", but on 3.3

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by holidayidol, Dec 9, 2008.

Dec 9, 2008
  1. holidayidol
    OP

Newcomer holidayidol Newbie

United States
    I had 3.2 + homebrew running fine on my NTSC (WiiKey 1.9s) for quite a while. Those were great times. However I had to go and ruin it.

I let my friend play a Shaun White Snowboarding disc that I knew was PAL, but thought for sure was properly region'friid and brick-blocked. Long story short, I wasn't paying attention when it prompted to do a system update and he accepted it. Sheesh that's a lesson learned the hard way ! So I inevitably screwed up big time, and know good and well just how big of a careless mistake that really was. No excuses.

Anyway, my system was semi-bricked, and I started getting the "System Files are Corrupt" message about 75% of the time. I could still boot the Wii normally, get past the A screen, and see all the Channels. I could even get homebrew working still. I could also get past the corrupt message altogether when I booted in maintenance mode. However I couldn't get to some areas of the system menu, and could no longer get it to connect online no matter what settings I changed.

I tried a LOT of troubleshooting. The system menu wads for NTSC (v289) didn't work to fix it. I was getting ready to install Starfire (which would have likely rescued me in the end), however I was distracted when I found a game disc from my NTSC region that had a newer firmware than mine (WiiMusic NTSC) and decided to go ahead and run that update, figuring that it would fix my corrupt system menu. Since there was a Zelda patched save for 3.3 out at that point, I figured I'd be able to get homebrew installed again and get back to 3.2 once repaired.

The update went through fine, but the system menu is still corrupt. I don't think it repaired the system menu due to the explanation in THIS thread by WiiCrazy. Now the system menu is at 3.3, so I can no longer use homebrew. I went ahead and formatted my Wii as well, but that doesn't fix the corrupt menu issue. However, I still have a working modchip, and can still boot games. I also tried the SaveMii (Gamecube 4-directional controller) method, and can get the Wii to boot into that recovery mode. And I have confirmed I can autoboot discs.

But here's the kicker... I can autoboot Zelda, and I can even save my progress, and reload my save file when I replay the game later. BUT I cannot get into the Wii Save Data or the SD save data because of the "system files corrupt" system menu issue. So although I have the Zelda 3.3 patch gamesave on my SD I cannot get into the menu path to transfer it to my Wii.

So here's where I have questions...
    Mainly, any ideas ?! [​IMG]

I believe that Animal Crossing NTSC is the only game out there with the very next newest system firmware update built into the game. Should I try creating an autoboot disc of this game, and boot the Wii in SaveMii recovery mode to automatically load this game + system update? I'm wondering if letting the system update from recovery mode would properly and thoroughly upgrade/repair my system menu, whereas it didn't properly repair last time from standard boot mode.

Even if this upgrades me to 3.4, that won't be a problem IF my system menu gets properly repaired. (Since I can always use the 3.4 Zelda patch to initiate the procedure to downgrade back to 3.2.)

But before I tried that, I wanted some feedback from here, and certainly any other recommendations.

2. hackerx

Banned hackerx Banned

Germany
  3. BL4Z3D247

Member BL4Z3D247 GBAtemp Stoner

United States
    i would update to 3.4 and downgrade to 3.2 as you said

4. djdynamite123

Banned djdynamite123 Master Of Hardcore!

United Kingdom
    hackerx clear off!

5. BL4Z3D247

Member BL4Z3D247 GBAtemp Stoner

United States
    already reported him since he spammed on three threads

6. holidayidol
    OP

United States
    Thanks guys.

Well....grrrrrrrrrrrr....Animal Crossing did indeed have a slightly newer system update than the one I had (on 3.3).

So, I used the SaveMii recovery boot, and created the autoboot Animal Crossing disc. It booted fine and I could tell it ran the update. BUT it did not repair my system [​IMG]

That makes TWO system updates that have not repaired my NTSC system menu. Again, I still get the "System Files Are Corrupt" message when I access my settings or save data, and cannot connect to the internet.

So perhaps maybe my system files actually are corrupt ?!

I'm well outside of Warranty, so should I call Nintendo repair and cough up the $82.50 ?

Or should I hold out for more troubleshooting attempts ?

7. WiiBlaster

Member WiiBlaster GBAtemp Maniac

United States
  8. WiiCrazy

Member WiiCrazy Be water my friend!

Turkey
    No matter what, you should have stayed on 3.2, still 3.3 is not a bad system to downgrade...

First try to overwrite the files used by system menu using anyregion changer (sysconf and there was another file)... that may be the problem causing the system files corrupted message...

You say you already did the system update from a 3.3 game and that didn't fix the semi-brick issue combined with system files corrupted message...

Well maybe it fixed the semi-brick part but you still have some content in your wii that system menu doesn't like and gives you that error message... Just a guess...

First of all do not update your system yet with the newest ios's from a new game since there is no game with 3.4 system menu and the only updates you will be getting from a 3.3 game would be patched ios's and updated channels, your system menu will not get updated...

Before taking action any further, at least downgrade the ios used by system menu so that you can boot homebrew discs...

Run the title lister (my sd card saving version: http://www.tepetaklak.com/data/title_lister.rar) and look if you got any suspicious title in your system that may cause this system files corrupted message... It could even be a bad savefile or something else since you get it when using settings part of the system menu...

9. djdynamite123

Banned djdynamite123 Master Of Hardcore!

United Kingdom
    Think I'm going to examine my system files.....nice hint wiicrazy!

10. holidayidol
    OP

United States
    Thanks for the response and ideas WiiCrazy. Here is where I believe I am stuck.

3.3 removed my homebrew channel and homebrew abilities, and the "system files corrupt" error is preventing me from accessing my save data...most importantly a patched Zelda gamesave.

So I probably won't be able to downgrade, will I ?