SysNAND Backup md5 question

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Allied, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Allied
    OP

Allied Member

Newcomer
    Apr 7, 2015
    Hey.

So, first thing I do with my GW is backup my SysNAND... several times. I thought that I could confirm the validity of a backup by doing it multiple times, and checking the md5 between them. Except... out of three backups so far, though they are all the exact same size in bytes, their md5s are totally different. Is this normal? Does the GW not build the file identically every time, or are all my dumps garbage?

Thanks!

2. jrebey

jrebey GBAtemp Regular

Mar 12, 2015
    United States
    I'm assuming you had to reboot into sysnand each time to get back into gateway mode after removing your sd card? If so, some data probably changed between each boot.

3. Allied
    OP

Allied Member

Newcomer
    Apr 7, 2015

Correct with the reboot thing. Also used two different microsd cards (confirmed legit by h2test). Can anyone confirm this is the cause? Has anyone compared the md5s on backups they've made?

4. Jim~

Jim~ GBAtemp Regular

Apr 29, 2007
    United States
    The data on your NAND is constantly changing as you use your 3DS. It's totally normal to have different md5 hashes.

5. mb2010

mb2010 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 12, 2015
    The dumps will always be different if they aren't dumped at the same time. This is the same even when you dump using a hard mod. I usually do 2 dumps at a time when using hard mod, so i end up with 4 dumps and 2 matching pairs

6. Allied
    OP

Allied Member

Newcomer
    Apr 7, 2015

Thanks for the advice both. Guess I can't do two from GW at the exact same time, as the second will just overwrite NAND.BIN? I assume one cannot remove the microsd while in the GW menu...