Hacking Sysmodule development for Bluetooth, Audio, Gamepads

Joonas

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Estonia
Hi all,

Read all the existing threads, all seem to be on the level of just speculation.

Has anyone seen any projects/done any digging around in the kernel to look into the feasibility of creating support for custom Bluetooth devices? Likewise for creating a custom audio sink and/or gamepad input source? I'm definitely not hoping for any solutions, just any relevant technical info/experience that might already be out there. Might as well ask if someone has any pointers rather than start honing my reversing skills not even knowing which direction I should head in.

Or heck, if someone knows an actual technical reason why this is not possible, shoot. Would spare me a lot of time.

I figure if we can get some form of raw BT connectivity going and be able to consume system audio it should be doable to borrow an existing audio stack implementation from Arduino/Linux/Android and hack something together for BT headphone support. Same logic applies to Gamepads.

Also, what's the friendliest CFW for kernel hacking? Still using SX OS at the moment, simply because I got a license day 1 when they were the only game in town. Made my own injector with an Arduino though ;).

Reactions: Joaoaug

Zumoly

GBATemp Analyst
Trophies
XP
Country
Mali
Great initiative man! I can't really understand why on earth Nintendo won't allow Bluetooth audio devices on the Switch!
Considering I'm using 8bitdo's adapter to use PS3 gamepads I'd say it's a firmware limitation rather than a hardware one (I might be wrong though). Maybe their aim was to limit interference with the joy cons' wireless connectivity?

Joonas

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Estonia
Great initiative man! I can't really understand why on earth Nintendo won't allow Bluetooth audio devices on the Switch!
Considering I'm using 8bitdo's adapter to use PS3 gamepads I'd say it's a firmware limitation rather than a hardware one (I might be wrong though). Maybe their aim was to limit interference with the joy cons' wireless connectivity?

I'm using the 8bitdo adapter as well with my Xbox One 2nd gen (BT enabled) controllers. It's emulating a wired Switch Pro controller. Only really works in the dock though. Would prefer the ergonomics of the Xbox One controller even on the go for more intense games.

Zumoly

GBATemp Analyst
Trophies
XP
Country
Mali
I'm using the 8bitdo adapter as well with my Xbox One 2nd gen (BT enabled) controllers. It's emulating a wired Switch Pro controller. Only really works in the dock though. Would prefer the ergonomics of the Xbox One controller even on the go for more intense games.

Actually it's somewhat possible thanks to USB-C adapter (I'm using one for Galaxy S8).
I like playing Fifa 19 outside with my friends (they prefer the PS3 controller).
Switch 8bido dongle on the go_low.jpg

Joonas

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Estonia
You want to look into Bluetooth Driver services also Audio services is useful too.

Thanks, that seems to be a step in the right direction. Looks like all the primary stuff one would need to hook is there. Also, the uart access to the BT chip is interesting, one could kill the existing BT stack and replace it with something like bluekitchen's btstack. That would mean loss of wireless controller communication though without additional work.

In any case, I'm going to need to read a book or two about C++ reversing and patching, the existing documentation is not enough to just get started based on my existing (non C++ related) skill level. Or I suppose if there's enough like minded individuals we could pool together a bounty of some kind, I know a few C++ people who might be able to help get this done with 90% less of banging head against table.

Last edited by Joonas,
Reactions: Joaoaug

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Is it safe to update a modded ps3? Can I play online in pirated games? (with ps3hen either...