Hacking sys-hidplus-client-rs - An alternative client for sys-hidplus

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
can i use my joy-cons directly on the switch or i need to connect them to my pc first when using this playing on parsec? And when my friends connect, i need to be streaming the client or the sysdvr? srry if these are stupid questions. this is my first time doing this

kenesu_h

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
can i use my joy-cons directly on the switch or i need to connect them to my pc first when using this playing on parsec? And when my friends connect, i need to be streaming the client or the sysdvr? srry if these are stupid questions. this is my first time doing this
I don't think they're stupid questions. You can use your Joy-cons directly, no need to connect them to your PC first.

As for when your friends are connecting, you stream whichever window has your Switch's video output. I think in your case yeah, it should be sysDVR.

Reactions: Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I tried to play with parsec and my friend couldn't connect his controller. What should i do?(we tried on mario kart 8 and kirby and the forgotten land. Neither worked)

kenesu_h

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried to play with parsec and my friend couldn't connect his controller. What should i do?(we tried on mario kart 8 and kirby and the forgotten land. Neither worked)
There are a couple of things to work out here, but I'll try my best to see what we can rule out:

First, I'm assuming you have the sysmodule (sys-hidplus) and CFW both up and running?

Second, did you connect the client to the Switch without any problems?

Next, are you able to connect controllers on your end to the client (and not directly to the Switch)?

Then, did your friend assign his controller by pressing the right shoulder button after the client's been started? If it's working properly, you should see that the X in one of the controller slots (in the client) changes to an O. edit: Forgot to mention that after this happens, your friend should be able to connect his controller to your Switch just by pressing things or moving his sticks around.

And lastly, if all that doesn't solve anything, if you've got any installed on your PC, does Parsec + your friend's controller work for any non-Switch game?

Last edited by kenesu_h,

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
i have both atmosphere and sys-hidplus running. i think there was probably no error when connecting the client to the switch since there was no error message. I was also able to connect my pro controller to the client but couldn't make it connect to my switch, only my joy-cons were recognized.

kenesu_h

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have both atmosphere and sys-hidplus running. i think there was probably no error when connecting the client to the switch since there was no error message. I was also able to connect my pro controller to the client but couldn't make it connect to my switch, only my joy-cons were recognized.
I just double-checked my code. The client doesn't report an error if you set the IP address there to something that doesn't exist on your network. It's possible that connecting your controller was fine, but not the client to the Switch.

In short, it might be possible that either you may have typed in the wrong IP for your Switch (or it may have changed if you restarted your router at some point), or there's a problem with your network's setup that's preventing your PC from contacting your Switch. Did you double-check that your Switch's IP and the one you typed into the client are the same?

If they are the same, are your PC and Switch connected to the same network?

KaedesPiano

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I tried using the Side Joycon mode by editing the config file and changing it to the Left or Right Joycon respectively but now the controls function sideways when using a traditional controller. Is there another setting I'm missing to fix the controls or will that be available officially in a later version?

kenesu_h

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I tried using the Side Joycon mode by editing the config file and changing it to the Left or Right Joycon respectively but now the controls function sideways when using a traditional controller. Is there another setting I'm missing to fix the controls or will that be available officially in a later version?
This is something that's a little interesting. I mostly just copied the way nachuz originally did it (resulting in what you have now), but that's been done with the assumption that sys-hidplus connects controllers as sideway Joy-cons. When I tried it though, the joy-cons always connect as one half of a pair (both vertical), which I think prevents your controller from behaving as it should.

In short, it's intended and there's no existing setting to fix it, but this was implemented with a wrong assumption on my part. Whether this can be fixed for a later version... I'm not sure. Someone had the same problem earlier and I didn't get around to fixing it, mostly because I don't have a game that uses sideway joy-cons and can't test it as a result. I do have one question (and maybe more down the line): despite the analog stick being sideways, do the controls at least work fine in games that force you to use sideway joy-cons?

KaedesPiano

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is something that's a little interesting. I mostly just copied the way nachuz originally did it (resulting in what you have now), but that's been done with the assumption that sys-hidplus connects controllers as sideway Joy-cons. When I tried it though, the joy-cons always connect as one half of a pair (both vertical), which I think prevents your controller from behaving as it should.

In short, it's intended and there's no existing setting to fix it, but this was implemented with a wrong assumption on my part. Whether this can be fixed for a later version... I'm not sure. Someone had the same problem earlier and I didn't get around to fixing it, mostly because I don't have a game that uses sideway joy-cons and can't test it as a result. I do have one question (and maybe more down the line): despite the analog stick being sideways, do the controls at least work fine in games that force you to use sideway joy-cons?
So I tested "JoyConLSide" and it functions as if a Left Joy Con was attached vertically, which also means none of the face buttons work as intended and instead work as direction inputs as if I had the controller tilted 90 degrees to the right. I'm also not able to set it up in "Change Grip/Order" cause I don't have SL or SR buttons to press.

The same goes for "JoyConRSide" except if the controller was tilted 90 degrees to the left and the buttons do work as intended when facing sideways.

Edit: Also if you need a game to test sideways Joy-Con support with, the Clubhouse Games demo should support it.

kenesu_h

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I tested "JoyConLSide" and it functions as if a Left Joy Con was attached vertically, which also means none of the face buttons work as intended and instead work as direction inputs as if I had the controller tilted 90 degrees to the right. I'm also not able to set it up in "Change Grip/Order" cause I don't have SL or SR buttons to press.

The same goes for "JoyConRSide" except if the controller was tilted 90 degrees to the left and the buttons do work as intended when facing sideways.

Edit: Also if you need a game to test sideways Joy-Con support with, the Clubhouse Games demo should support it.
Thanks for the info and especially the heads up on the Clubhouse Games demo. I'll see what I can do with it - the next chance I get to look at everything, anyway.

Either way, just wanted to give a quick reply and say your experience lines up with what I found when I was testing this a little less than a year ago. Also wanted to add real quick that Nachuz found that - without going into the technical reasons - emulated controllers are not allowed to use SL and SR, which is kind of a a bust for full sideways Joy-con support. I'm still planning to try to address the rotated controls though (if I can) and see if they work properly in sideways Joy-con games. If it does, I'll probably keep it in future versions for the sake of partial functionality.

Reactions: KaedesPiano

SHRetro

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunely, since updating to 14.x, the SysModule we need to use in the tutorial no longer works. Is there a solution for this, or do we just have to wait to version 14 support.

kenesu_h

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunely, since updating to 14.x, the SysModule we need to use in the tutorial no longer works. Is there a solution for this, or do we just have to wait to version 14 support.
Odd. I don't have access to my Switch right now so I can't double-check if the same thing happened, but I could've sworn it worked okay when I updated to 14.1.0 (although not 14.1.1) - that said, don't get me wrong, I'm not doubting you.

Assuming that this isn't the result of user error, then we'll probably have to wait for version 14 support yeah. I'm afraid there's not too much I can do if that's the case. That said, in the meantime, make sure you check that you've done the following:

What's obvious and what you've probably already done, but I'm including just for the sake of ruling them out:
  • Updated Atmosphere to the latest version.
  • Booted into CFW.
  • The client reports that a controller slot is connected when you press the right bumper to assign one (the X changes to an O).
What might not be obvious:
  • Make sure you've allowed the client to communicate with other devices on your network. If your network's a private network, allow it to communicate on private networks. If it's public, do the same for public networks. I think you can check/adjust this in Windows Defender/Windows Firewall. I assume that if it worked for you before, then you don't have to change this.
  • Make sure your network doesn't have any new settings that'd prevent your computer from communicating with your Switch and vice-versa.
What might be user error:
  • Make sure the IP of your Switch matches the one you typed into the client - keep in mind, the IP can change if your router's restarted or something along those lines.
If you went through all of that and it's still not working, then it's more likely it's a sysmodule problem. Either way, I'll double-check and see if it stopped working for me too.

Edit: In retrospect, sorry to hit you with a giant wall of text. I just want to rule out as many factors as I can before I get the chance to check for myself.

Last edited by kenesu_h,

kenesu_h

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, after finishing up my spring semester, some procrastination, and going into another semester, here's my long overdue response. The sysmodule still works on my end on FW 14.1.1 and AMS 1.3.1. Granted, Atmosphere ain't on the latest version, but it still seems to work.

I'd honestly just double check that your Switch's IP didn't change and that it matches the one you typed into the client.

StormySky16

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, after finishing up my spring semester, some procrastination, and going into another semester, here's my long overdue response. The sysmodule still works on my end on FW 14.1.1 and AMS 1.3.1. Granted, Atmosphere ain't on the latest version, but it still seems to work.

I'd honestly just double check that your Switch's IP didn't change and that it matches the one you typed into the client.
Can confirm, works fine on latest AMS and FW

Reactions: kenesu_h and Sylx3

StormySky16

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Can confirm, works fine on latest AMS and FW

Masana

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello,
Thank you for your work, is there a way to change the configuration of the controller keys, because the has a snes ibuffalo controller and the keys do not correspond

s-l1600.jpg

?

kenesu_h

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,
Thank you for your work, is there a way to change the configuration of the controller keys, because the has a snes ibuffalo controller and the keys do not correspond

?
Hey there! Unfortunately, there's no way to change the controller configs for now. It's possible to implement for sure, just not totally sure if and when I'd be able to get to it. I'm real sorry, but until I have an extended amount of free time to dedicate to the project again, this probably won't be a thing any time soon.

Reactions: Masana

KaedesPiano

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a quick update to this thread, be careful about updating to 15.0.0 as it updated a bunch of system modules. I haven’t tested if this still works or not but I’d be curious on any updates if it does.

Sylx3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Just a quick update to this thread, be careful about updating to 15.0.0 as it updated a bunch of system modules. I haven’t tested if this still works or not but I’d be curious on any updates if it does.
Thanks ! I will wait then, or maybe it's time to upgrade to that Titan One/Two setup that I saw on reddit, that achieve the same goal but with hardware, so it's not dependant on sysmodule I guess. Thanks for the heads up anyway :)

Edit : just tested on latest firmware + atmosphere, it still works !

Last edited by Sylx3,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?