• Likes 88

Palleon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Yeah for a V2 thats safe, you could push higher if you wanted
Thanks for your reply. With 1224/768/1600 with no charger, handheld, I'm getting, on the Witcher 3, 47°c, fan 37%, 6.5w max usage, with 100% brightness
is this safe? Everywhere I research informs not to go above 460mhz because of the battery, but if the draw is at 6.5w and the temperature is low, is there a big impact on the battery?

When a store in my city did the unblock on my Switch with modchip, they cleaned the console and put a new thermal compound, which seems to keep the console cool. Without overclocking, in the witcher 3, the fan rarely exceeds 25%

Last edited by Palleon,

Anxiety_timmy

Average Asura
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for your reply. With 1224/768/1600 with no charger, handheld, I'm getting, on the Witcher 3, 47°c, fan 37%, 6.5w max usage, with 100% brightness
is this safe? Everywhere I research informs not to go above 460mhz because of the battery, but if the draw is at 6.5w and the temperature is low, is there a big impact on the battery?

When a store in my city did the unblock on my Switch with modchip, they cleaned the console and put a new thermal compound, which seems to keep the console cool. Without overclocking, in the witcher 3, the fan rarely exceeds 25%
going above 460 is dangerous but only for Erista, if you're on a switch lite id say stay there, if you're on anything that isn't a lite you have a bit more room to push higher

Reactions: Palleon

Palleon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
going above 460 is dangerous but only for Erista, if you're on a switch lite id say stay there, if you're on anything that isn't a lite you have a bit more room to push higher
Oh nice to know, thanks, I’will stay in 1224/768/1600 handheld on demanding games like the Witcher 3. What is the maximum safe wattage draw in handheld battery?

I don't mind losing some battery life in the long run as I plan on picking up the next Nintendo console when it comes out so I want to get the most out of my v2 but not kill it in 1 year oc

Anxiety_timmy

Average Asura
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh nice to know, thanks, I’will stay in 1224/768/1600 handheld on demanding games like the Witcher 3. What is the maximum safe wattage draw in handheld battery?

I don't mind losing some battery life in the long run as I plan on picking up the next Nintendo console when it comes out so I want to get the most out of my v2 but not kill it in 1 year oc
About 10ish Watts or a little bit lower is pushing it.

Palleon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I see. Is there any reason to stop using 1224/768/1600 in handheld in that scenario?
I don't know if there is component wear or some other danger besides battery. Currently, I am able to play with reverseNT with great image quality, power consumption never touches 7w or more (with brightness at 100%), and fan only reaches ~50% when it is very hot (I live in Brazil, it is hot here), in games like Skyrim barely reaches 6w using this overclock and reverseNT

I like picture quality, and apparently the trade-off of quality for little more power consumption is tempting, since temperature is not an issue, but I am a layman as to the possible damage.

If I don't have other problems besides the slighty bigger -draw, then I'll keep the OC until one day the consumption hits 8w or 9w

Last edited by Palleon,

Keriam

Trophies
XP
Country
France

I discovered something yesterday for the Witcher 3 on switch : you can downclock down the cpu to 621mhz and push GPU to more 844mhz with no fan noises for only 5.7W to maintain 28-32 fps (fixed resolution almost native)

TW3 don’t need CPU or memory clock, only GPU. Don`t under 621mhz for cpu, it will reduce fps

Palleon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I discovered something yesterday for the Witcher 3 on switch : you can downclock down the cpu to 621mhz and push GPU to more 844mhz with no fan noises for only 5.7W to maintain 28-32 fps (fixed resolution almost native)

TW3 don’t need CPU or memory clock, only GPU. Don`t under 621mhz for cpu, it will reduce fps
I will test this underclock in Novigrad to check. About GPU, I think 768mhz is enough for portable mode, the game always seems to be 720p with 768mhz

Keriam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I will test this underclock in Novigrad to check. About GPU, I think 768mhz is enough for portable mode, the game always seems to be 720p with 768mhz

720p from my experience is never reachable, i rather prefer disable dynamic resolution and use a lower fixed resolution.

But to be honest, i only tested during the quest to find the curse on the forest at begenning of the game (monster under the tree with a werewolf). Novigrad or the city from last extension is of course a better FPS benchmark

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Usually most games going for a good memory OC actually makes the GPU utilization drop kinda leaving it more available GPU performance headroom and the majority is almost always memory bottlenecked...

Also I never tested too much with my power meter but maybe some games that like we could be mostly or always at 100% GPU usage if we can make it drop considerably with the mem OC it might actually even get lower power usage by not having the GPU always at 100% while wasting more on the memories which will always consume much less than GPU, but I have no idea anyway as it would need a lot of testing and would depend a lot on the game and maybe the part of the game being played and a lot of variation...

l7777

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anybody know if there is a switch-OC-Suite profile out there for OLED switch? i dont think it is mariko or erista
FYI, mariko is the name of the Nvidia SOC. It is used in lite, v2, and OLED.
I run this just fine on my OLED
2397mhz CPU
1305mhz GPU
2500mhz RAM
What are your temps?

So, the mariko values are tested on OLED? The mariko package+values on switch-OC-Suite? I heard the OLED heat pipe is smaller than non OLED mariko units
All devices are different. Some will OC better than others. Only testing will determine if your particular unit will be stable at the higher clocks.

Anxiety_timmy

Average Asura
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, the mariko values are tested on OLED? The mariko package+values on switch-OC-Suite? I heard the OLED heat pipe is smaller than non OLED mariko units
Mariko is the name of the SOC, its used on OLED, Lite and V2 all use it. The Oled heatpipe and cooler are smaller than V2 units, the lite has an even smaller one but not by much if I remember correctly. The main thing with Mariko is the binning of the chips, where at higher frequencies the differences can be absolutely huge.

l7777

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mariko is the name of the SOC, its used on OLED, Lite and V2 all use it. The Oled heatpipe and cooler are smaller than V2 units, the lite has an even smaller one but not by much if I remember correctly. The main thing with Mariko is the binning of the chips, where at higher frequencies the differences can be absolutely huge.
Has anyone built a list of possible binning numbers so people know if they have a high or low starting point?

Anxiety_timmy

Average Asura
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone built a list of possible binning numbers so people know if they have a high or low starting point?
in general, Mariko bottoms out around 1500 and peaks at close to 1800 speedo.
Post automatically merged:

asdjfjlkjsadflkjahslekdjr.png
image.png

difference in GPU clocks amp draw on the regulators between speedos
this is in AMPS, and the red lines show the regulator limits which is 10A

Last edited by Anxiety_timmy,

SkullHex2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello everyone, after reading some of the older messages in this thread I'm a bit worried, because I've got an Erista unit and you keep saying not to overclock it.
What exactly do you mean by “overclock?” Can I use this sysmodule or not? That's all I've been doing

if by “overclocking” you mean pushing past the built-in limits of sys-clk, I've never done that; if by “overclocking” you mean using this sysmodule at all, then I'm fucked lol..

Reactions: Flaya

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: