• Replies 1,366
  • Likes 88

3DSBricker

Not So Daily Active Member
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Okay, good to know, thanks! I watched the digital foundry video and they mentioned that some games are CPU limited while other games are GPU limited. If I'm playing a game that seems to be CPU limited, do you think it's safe to clock at 1785/768, or should I lower the gpu further?
1785/614 is about 18-20W which is safe. Luckily with Sys-CLK you can set profiles for each game so if a game is CPU dependant you can higher the CPU and lower the GPU.

quick_red

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1785/614 is about 18-20W which is safe. Luckily with Sys-CLK you can set profiles for each game so if a game is CPU dependant you can higher the CPU and lower the GPU.
Thanks again! Just one more question, if I'm finagling my settings and I want to keep my GPU at 768, do you think it would be safe to run at 1581/768? Or in other words, what's the max clock I can safely run my CPU at while keeping GPU at 768?

3DSBricker

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Thanks again! Just one more question, if I'm finagling my settings and I want to keep my GPU at 768, do you think it would be safe to run at 1581/768? Or in other words, what's the max clock I can safely run my CPU at while keeping GPU at 768?
That would be about 1428MHz. Do remember that that's the limit and might cross 18W if used very intensively. I'd recommend 1224MHz CPU and 768MHz GPU because it's mostly fine like that. If you need more CPU, go up to 1428. If you need more GPU, go up to 921, but that's almost never worth it. So 1428/768 would be okay, I don't know if it makes a difference (only 0.5W in power draw) but the safer option would be 1326. It actually really is your choice. Higher clock speeds requires more Voltage, is more power draw and results in more heat which all decreases the life of the Switch. Overclocking always has risks. I just wouldn't go above the 18W, and always keep the temperature in mind.

quick_red

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That would be about 1428MHz. Do remember that that's the limit and might cross 18W if used very intensively. I'd recommend 1224MHz CPU and 768MHz GPU because it's mostly fine like that. If you need more CPU, go up to 1428. If you need more GPU, go up to 921, but that's almost never worth it. So 1428/768 would be okay, I don't know if it makes a difference (only 0.5W in power draw) but the safer option would be 1326. It actually really is your choice. Higher clock speeds requires more Voltage, is more power draw and results in more heat which all decreases the life of the Switch. Overclocking always has risks. I just wouldn't go above the 18W, and always keep the temperature in mind.
That makes sense, thanks for all the help!

pwjpssdfvqyuhweuxx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Okay, good to know, thanks! I watched the digital foundry video and they mentioned that some games are CPU limited while other games are GPU limited. If I'm playing a game that seems to be CPU limited, do you think it's safe to clock at 1785/768, or should I lower the gpu further?
I'd say 1785mhz should be fine, even though most unmodded games will most likely not make any use of more that 1400~mhz (in my experience).
Also Xenoblade is RAM and GPU limited, from my testing the CPU seems to be relatively low in usage during gameplay.

3DSBricker

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'd say 1785mhz should be fine, even though most unmodded games will most likely not make any use of more that 1400~mhz (in my experience).
Also Xenoblade is RAM and GPU limited, from my testing the CPU seems to be relatively low in usage during gameplay.
No it's not. 1785/768 will draw about 22W. That exceeds the 18W limit and (can) damage(s) your Switch's internal components. Remember that the Switch itself was designed for 1020/768. There's a reason Nintendo lowers the GPU to 76.8MHz (mark the dot) when boosting to 1785MHz.

pwjpssdfvqyuhweuxx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
No it's not. 1785/768 will draw about 22W. That exceeds the 18W limit and (can) damage(s) your Switch's internal components. Remember that the Switch itself was designed for 1020/768. There's a reason Nintendo lowers the GPU to 76.8MHz (mark the dot) when boosting to 1785MHz.
does your claim with the 22W in power draw come from real-life usage and not artificial stress testing software?
Even if there would be a game maxing out all 3 cores on the CPU, you would still have 1 core not pulling max power as it's reserved for the system.

3DSBricker

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
does your claim with the 22W in power draw come from real-life usage and not artificial stress testing software?
Even if there would be a game maxing out all 3 cores on the CPU, you would still have 1 core not pulling max power as it's reserved for the system.
It's based on CTCaer's own testing. The developer of Hekate.

pwjpssdfvqyuhweuxx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
It's based on CTCaer's own testing. The developer of Hekate.
yes, done an artificial stress test with all cores completely maxed out and every last drop squeezed out of them.
If you want to see if your Switch is pulling more than 18W, use a wattmeter or just see if the battery is losing charge% while it's inside the dock.

3DSBricker

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
yes, done an artificial stress test with all cores completely maxed out and every last drop squeezed out of them.
If you want to see if your Switch is pulling more than 18W, use a wattmeter or just see if the battery is losing charge% while it's inside the dock.
SmartSelect_20211109-162715.jpg
I don't know where you read it was an artificial stress test but this is his comment. Numerous doesn't mean "just an artifical stress test"

MajinChibi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

Thanks for the insight!

Is that for mariko as well? Or is mariko a little bit safer going full oc@docked mode, because of the higher efficiency

Thank you in advance

3DSBricker

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Thanks for the insight!

Is that for mariko as well? Or is mariko a little bit safer going full oc@docked mode, because of the higher efficiency

Thank you in advance
Mariko isn't a little bit safer, it's completely safe. At least regarding power draw. We don't really know, it's not really overclocking either. Neither unlocking the full power of the chip. Its rated speeds are 1963MHz CPU and 1267MHz GPU. The Switch can get a little hot (like up to 50°C) with those settings, which I still acceptable. With Erista we talk about like 20 Watt. With Mariko it's more like 5 to 7W.

Reactions: MajinChibi

MajinChibi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Mariko isn't a little bit safer, it's completely safe. At least regarding power draw. We don't really know, it's not really overclocking either. Neither unlocking the full power of the chip. Its rated speeds are 1963MHz CPU and 1267MHz GPU. The Switch can get a little hot (like up to 50°C) with those settings, which I still acceptable. With Erista we talk about like 20 Watt. With Mariko it's more like 5 to 7W.

That is which i was assuming (but wouldnt be the first time i would be wrong :) ) thank you!

I think, RAM OC would be a little more effective for me and my mariko. Time for research.

3DSBricker

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
That is which i was assuming (but wouldnt be the first time i would be wrong :) ) thank you!

I think, RAM OC would be a little more effective for me and my mariko. Time for research.
It's all in the RetroNX Discord. As far as I know all Mariko Switches with Samsung or Micron RAM can reach 1996.8MHz without overvolting (which isn't supported on Mariko either). Hynix can only barely reach 1800MHz (so about 1790MHz or so).

Reactions: MajinChibi

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end