RELEASE sys-clk under/overclocking sysmodule

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by m4xw, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Instandhaltung

Instandhaltung I feel the cosmos

Aug 4, 2016
    Germany
    Hey nice people, just a quick question. I am using sys-clk but I wondered about two things:
    1. When I am starting the homebrew launcher to use an emulator, the overclock setting of the app I used to launch the homebrew launcher will transfer to the homebrew apps, correct? In short: To use overclock with homebrew, I have to launch it over a game with an overclock setting.
    2. I think that I might have witnessed worse performance on an emulator after being in standby. Is it possible that the overclock resets during standby? Or was it just my imagination?

2. p-sam

p-sam Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 3, 2019
    France
    I'm not sure of your definition of "out of the box", you might see why after the next release

1. Yes
    2. No it should be okay

Instandhaltung likes this.
  3. Instandhaltung

Instandhaltung I feel the cosmos

Aug 4, 2016
    Germany
    Hm weird, I guess it was the emulator then :)

4. p-sam

p-sam Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 3, 2019
    France

snake218, Dutt, Raul8 and 2 others like this.
  5. veekay

veekay GBAtemp Regular

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    Is it normal to actually lose battery charge when overclocked and on the dock? It isn't much, but maybe 1% an hour when clocks are maxed out.

6. Raul8

Raul8 Member

Newcomer
    Sep 12, 2009
    United States
    Thanks for the update! I think there is a minor bug, in one game (Xenoblade 2) I used 921 MHz, then reverted (while in game) to 768 MHz; after that, reading the .csv file, the maximum clocks were still been written in the file but I was using 768 MHz, only the last update of the .csv file reflected the real clocks. The frequency was set to write every 5 minutes. I played for about an hour with 768 MHz.

7. Audioboxer

Audioboxer GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 7, 2007
    Just found this, really cool.

Has anyone messed around with Zelda Links Awakening? Some rough framerate drops in handheld mode from time to time.

8. hippy dave

hippy dave BBMB

Apr 30, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Yep, set the higher mem clock, and as high GPU as you can depending if you're plugged in or not. Bumping the CPU clock up would probably help load times too.

Last edited by hippy dave, Oct 4, 2019
    Audioboxer likes this.
  9. Audioboxer

Jun 7, 2007
    I'll have a play around with it. The framerate drops in the game really are pretty bad.

10. Rahkeesh

Rahkeesh GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 3, 2018
    United States
    The trouble with link's awakening is that double-buffering, if you ever drop below 60 you're straight into 30 FPS ville, and raising the GPU from 700 to 900 doesn't do much to fix that. Its hard to see much difference in smoothness docked without doing something drastic like ReverseNX, which lets you run handheld resolution at docked clocks. You can probably also get good results with sys-clk and a charger running docked clocks in handheld mode.

Last edited by Rahkeesh, Oct 4, 2019
  11. Audioboxer

Jun 7, 2007
    Things are improved a little I think with messing around.

One quick question for anyone, I know handheld_gpu is limited to 460 max, but what about handheld_cpu? Will it go to 1785? Obviously that will eat battery though lol.

12. Puremin0rez

Puremin0rez Member

Newcomer
    Apr 1, 2019
    United States
    Chicago, IL, US
    I'm new to sys-clk and I'm just trying to figure out if any of this is normal or not.

I currently have a blank config file (so no overclocks or anything like that), and sys-clk is running.

When I do title takeover (hold R while launching a game), and go into RetroArch, the clock is forcibly set to whatever the games clock is launching as. If i choose a higher (or lower) clock in Retroarch, it just immediately reverts back to whatever the titles clock was set as.

As an example, if I do title takeover on Super Mario Odyssey, of which I have no profile for, and open Retroarch - my clock is now maxed out to 1.7ghz (in handheld) and I can't change it.

If I launch Homebrew Menu via Album, in applet mode, and open RetroArch - my clock is then forcibly set to 800mhz and can't be changed.

Is this normal behavior when having sys-clk installed?

Last edited by Puremin0rez, Oct 5, 2019
  13. p-sam

p-sam Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 3, 2019
    France
    yup

14. swutch

swutch Member

Newcomer
    Apr 16, 2019
    Austria
    I have updated my firmware from 8.1 to 9.0.1 and Kosmos to 14.2 (emummc)
    Now when sys-clk(0.13.0) plugin is activated, and I start Assassins Creed 3, the switch crashes after about 5sec after the Ubisoft logo.
    I even don't have settings for assassins creed in the sys-clk config.
    As soon as I deactivate sys-clk it won't crash any more.

everything worked fine with firmware 8.1

edit:
    ---------------------
    also Crash Team Racing freezes in main menu, when the plugin is activated.
    is sys-clk not yet compatible with 9.0.1?

Assassins Creed 3 crash log:

Attached Files:

Last edited by swutch, Oct 15, 2019
  15. Anonymousu

Anonymousu Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 31, 2019
    Belgium
    May I ask what to do if I want to overclock and not get banned?

Which online games and applications can be played without being banned?

(What is The Witcher 3's ID anyway?)

16. Username4321

Username4321 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 10, 2018
    Brazil
    Witcher 3 should be [01003D100E9C6000].

17. Rahkeesh

Rahkeesh GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 3, 2018
    United States
    If you are using blawar's latest tinfoil/hbg it's going to cause issues, basically turning kosmos into an atmosphere fork. sysmodules like sys-clk then aren't going to function correctly out of the gate because atmosphere isn't preconfigured for them to work. I ended up reinstalling kosmos and using tinfoilmod to get around it.

18. Florens

Florens Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 31, 2019
    Chad
    Will charging with my 60W laptop charger unlock the overclocks only for the official charger? Is there anything special about the official charger except it being 40W.

haaskub likes this.
  19. swutch

swutch Member

Newcomer
    Apr 16, 2019
    Austria
    thanks for the hint, but i only use original kosmos and not the frok from blawar.
    (always copied only the switch folder and now with mod)

does sys-clk work with version 9.0.1 and the mentioned games on your system?

Last edited by swutch, Oct 17, 2019
  20. MonMonz

MonMonz GBAtemp Fan

Nov 7, 2014
    Egypt
    am trying it with TW3 how to check if it worked or not?

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted