• Views 509,582
  • Replies 1,366
  • Likes 88

kazuki_chan8

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Been using sys-clk with reverseNX in combination with a 10,000mah battery case for use of docked clocks on the go, and.. I am now unofficially designating my switch as a handheld "Switch Pro"!
The switch might now weigh about twice as much and the fan sounds like a mini jet engine at times, but the games look absolutely stunning in docked resolution on the small screen. Hell-blade looks gorgeous at docked clocks as do many other games with dynamic resolution scaling. A massive thank you to all the devs working on this!

Oh yeah, just a little more information in regards to the battery case.
If you're planning on doing this, make sure the battery case has an output that is close to or matches the official charger's wattage/amperage.
Some of the cheaper ones don't and might not be compatible with sys-clk higher clock speeds.
Hmm is there anyway i can disable/Enable sysclk while on switch instead of doing in the pc? Or are there any text editor in any homebrew that i can run & edit the config?

Last edited by kazuki_chan8,

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm is there anyway i can disable/Enable sysclk while on switch instead of doing in the pc? Or are there any text editor in any homebrew that i can run & edit the config?
Use some file manager (like nx-shell) to move sysclk’s boot2.flag file in/out of the folder, then reboot

Last edited by ZachyCatGames,

kazuki_chan8

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia

strunx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone has a good handheld profile por Dragon Quest XI Demo? Im starting with this and i tried

handheld_cpu=1020
handheld_gpu=460
handheld_mem=1331

it runs smoother and it has better resolution but i dont know if it is too much or i can use lesser frequencies for the same result or so..

or if you can give some advice to find the best OC, it would be appreciated, thanks! :D

SkullHex2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone has a good handheld profile por Dragon Quest XI Demo? Im starting with this and i tried

handheld_cpu=1020
handheld_gpu=460
handheld_mem=1331

it runs smoother and it has better resolution but i dont know if it is too much or i can use lesser frequencies for the same result or so..

or if you can give some advice to find the best OC, it would be appreciated, thanks! :D

imho Dragon Quest is one of those games that doesn't require overclocking to run well, at least as far as I've played. Unless you want to try the 60 fps mod, of course: https://gbatemp.net/threads/dragon-quest-xi-s-demo-60-fps-mod.546705/
Apparently it needs much higher clock rates than yours.
You know, I'm not even sure you're actually overclocking your console and not underclocking it. Since the demo drains the battery pretty fast, I think it's running on pretty high clocks. You should check sys-clk log to see what the default ones are.

strunx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
imho Dragon Quest is one of those games that doesn't require overclocking to run well, at least as far as I've played. Unless you want to try the 60 fps mod, of course:
Apparently it needs much higher clock rates than yours.
You know, I'm not even sure you're actually overclocking your console and not underclocking it. Since the demo drains the battery pretty fast, I think it's running on pretty high clocks. You should check sys-clk log to see what the default ones are.

ohh thanks, i didnt saw that thread, but i'll do what you said and check logs

Halo69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Get kosmos toolbox nro and when you open the app click on background services and disable sys-clk from there, press home to save changes and reboot switch

SkullHex2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible for games to have dynamic clock rates?
This is what the log says about Dragon Quest XI demo:

Code:
[2019-08-27 23:29:54] [mgr] Application TitleID changed to: 010026800EA0A000
[2019-08-27 23:29:54] [mgr] CPU clock is now 1020000000
[2019-08-27 23:29:54] [mgr] GPU clock is now 768000000
[2019-08-27 23:29:54] [mgr] Memory clock is now 1600000000
[2019-08-27 23:29:54] [mgr] CPU clock is now 1785000000
[2019-08-27 23:29:54] [mgr] GPU clock is now 76800000
[2019-08-27 23:30:04] [mgr] CPU clock is now 1020000000
[2019-08-27 23:30:04] [mgr] GPU clock is now 768000000

Profile is Docked. No custom clock rates have been set.
As you can see the CPU clock oscillates between 1020 and 1785. I only launched the game hoping to see a static value, so this is basically what happens during the opening and the main menu; I didn't even load my game.

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, the game is likely using "boost mode" to speed up loading, as has been seen in BotW. And there are games that are constantly making small adjustments all the time, like Doom.

Reactions: SkullHex2

SkullHex2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh yeah, the "boost mode." I forgot about that.
In this case, what happens when you use sys-clk? Does it repeatedly override the clocks the system sets, or does it have priority over them? (As in, it only needs to overwrite them once)

Thanks for the answer by the way!

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sys-clk is constantly monitoring and looking to override clocks. They supposedly made allowances for boost mode but I've heard conflicting things about how well that works right now.

Reactions: SkullHex2

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Finally put this to use last night - of all things, a 2D sprite game from 2013, Ittle Dew, was lagging a bit in large rooms with lots of enemies. Blame Unity probably. I didn't want to spend time on trial & error so I just whacked all three clocks up and now it runs great.

SLXD249

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have some settings I can offer. The game is Retroarch, so it will have to be entered manually through the applet since the Title ID can be anything. This will only work if you make a Retroarch NSP using NRO2NSP.
These are the bare minimum settings that shouldn't affect any real gameplay on the majorly retro cores. I haven't tested the effectiveness on cores for games like N64 and PSX, but these settings will drastically increase the battery life. I was able to play the game for over 5 hours on a full charge with these settings.

handheld_cpu=612
handheld_gpu=76
handheld_mem=665

Dariusz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Hey guys I searched the thread and didn’t found the answer. Is there a way to bypass 460ghz gpu limit for handheld without charger? Games below 720p are unacceptable for me and the Witcher is coming out soon and I’m sure it will demand more power than 460ghz. Or the only way is to use freebird?

D

Deleted User

Hey guys I searched the thread and didn’t found the answer. Is there a way to bypass 460ghz gpu limit for handheld without charger? Games below 720p are unacceptable for me and the Witcher is coming out soon and I’m sure it will demand more power than 460ghz. Or the only way is to use freebird?
Freebird does not work well with 8.1.0. If you try to access hbmenu from within a game, your system will crash or blue screen. If you're still on 7.0.1 or lower, it's the best way to get around that restriction

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Edit line 53 here and compile https://github.com/retronx-team/sys-clk/blob/master/src/clock_table.h
I'd strongly recommend against doing it because it's not good for your battery

Dariusz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Edit line 53 here and compile
I'd strongly recommend against doing it because it's not good for your battery
Thank You kindly, but You put a hard task on someone who have 0 idea about coding, programming and all that stuff. I edited file just need to figure out how to compile it. Thank You anyway :D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: New Myoo.