Hacking SX Pro Coming Tomorrow

Plex7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally didn't bother with any hard methods, I just did the easy/risky way to update:
update in OFW, insert a 100% RELIABLE jig and hold Vol+ right before it restarts, to reboot straight into RCM.
Because the fuses only get burnt by the default bootloader upon normal restart (which RCM interrupts).

Was planning to use the SX Pro jig to install RajNX to do the 3.0 NAND back up, followed by installing ChoiDujourNX to update to 5.1.0. Am I missing anything?

Pros/Cons of AutoCRM? Been hearing yes do it, and no not worth it.

bundat

¿
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Was planning to use the SX Pro jig to install RajNX to do the 3.0 NAND back up, followed by installing ChoiDujourNX to update to 5.1.0. Am I missing anything?

Pros/Cons of AutoCRM? Been hearing yes do it, and no not worth it.

I didn't bother with the ChoiDujour method because the SX pro jig is 100% reliable for me.
It's easier (for me) to just do the normal way of updating, then inserting the jig and holding vol+ right before it restarts after updating, that also prevents fuses from burning (I checked my fuse count in hekate too)

If you want to preserve your fuses, you NEED autoRCM. Otherwise, booting EVEN JUST ONCE without a jig will burn your fuses (and if you use homebrew tools, like Checkpoint for backing up saves, you WILL have one crash/restart sooner or later)

Last edited by bundat,
Reactions: thorasgar

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there even a point to downgrade to 3.0? Tempted just to update using nintendo. Although I heard this burns fuses, yet I've come across a comment stating the switch has hundreds of fuses...so why stress over that?
It is not that hard to upgrade without burning fuses now. The point is to preserve options for the future.
Nothing may ever come of them but you never know. Ask those if us that suffered through the Great Gatewait if we could have used an option to downgrade.
How many fuses the switch has is completely irrelevant. What matters is have you burned the number so you can’t downgrade and take advantage of whatever greatness the ability to do so offers.

Last edited by thorasgar,

Stone-D

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Thanks for the solid answer! I will look into Hekate. What CFW do you recommend and is user friendly to install? I guess I will do that, handle the NAND back up, and update using Choi.

Go here, read and and download RajNX. Made by the same guy who made ChoiDuJour(NX), which you should download from the same site (https://switchtools.sshnuke.net).

Extract RajNX to an SD card. Extract ChoiDuJourNX.nro to the "switch" folder. Find a zip file containing the files necessary for the OS you want to move to. Can't attach/link here - XBins should have it.

Download TegraRcmGUI, extract to a folder on your desktop (eg, Tegra). Put rajnx_ipl.bin and rajnx_ipl.ini in that folder. Put the Hekate binary (currently hekate_ctcaer_3.2.bin) in the same folder.

Get into RCM, run TegraRcmGUI. Click the folder icon next to "Inject Payload" and open Hekate. Inject Payload, then proceed to make a backup.

Is there even a point to downgrade to 3.0?

Depends. Start here. :)

Tempted just to update using nintendo. Although I heard this burns fuses, yet I've come across a comment stating the switch has hundreds of fuses...so why stress over that?

Yes there are hundreds, and Nintendo will only use a fraction of them. The boot code checks the number of fuses currently burnt - if not enough are burnt, it will burn them (expected part of the update process). If it matches what it expects for the current OS version, all good. If there are too many burnt, it will panic and won't boot.

From what I understand, and bear in mind that I'm very new to this as I got my first Switch at the end of July and I haven't explored that deeply into what's happening or what's on the horizon (heh), it comes down to whether or not you want those additional boot options and whether or not your care about what else staying at a lower firmware will offer later down the road. You'll have to do more research on what you'll be losing. I chose to stay at 4.1.0, and got a second hand Switch to go legit on.

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally didn't bother with any hard methods, I just did the easy/risky way to update:
update in OFW, insert a 100% RELIABLE jig and hold Vol+ right before it restarts, to reboot straight into RCM.
Because the fuses only get burnt by the default bootloader upon normal restart (which RCM interrupts).

- First always do a NAND backup before everything. I did this before my jig arrived using a piece of wire for RCM.
- Be careful of pin 4, this is 5V which is used to charge the joycons, and could possibly fry something if you accidentally short it.

What I personally did was:
  • back up stock NAND first [using DIY jig]
  • "risky" unburned fuse update [using SX pro jig]
    • i.e. do update via OFW,
    • then insert jig and hold vol+ right before it restarts
  • then inject hekate after rebooting into RCM post-update, and back up NAND again [so that I have a clean 5.1.0 backup]
  • remove jig, then boot into stock using hekate [in case Horizon detects if pin 10 is shorted, then it isn't]
  • delete wifi settings [as they will be enabled due to doing an OFW update earlier]
  • insert jig, reboot into RCM
  • then enable autoRCM in hekate [to protect my fuses]
I made a 5.1.0 backup so that I have a NAND backup I can restore to if I ever want to go online again (e.g. even just to upgrade to a future new firmware). Because I read somewhere that it MIGHT be suspicious to Nintendo that the same console "request the SAME firmware update twice", and I thought it would also be weird if it "suddenly went down in firmware version", which is what will happen if you restore the first NAND backup. What I plan to do for FUTURE firmware updates is:
  • backup saves in Checkpoint
  • disable autoRCM in hekate
  • while still in hekate, restore 5.1.0 NAND backup
  • boot into stock using hekate
  • setup wifi, OFW update, then stick in jig before restart and hold vol+ ["risky" update]
  • inject hekate, backup NAND in newest [FUTURE] firmware version
  • same steps as above i.e.
    • boot into stock using hekate
    • delete wifi settings
    • insert jig, reboot into RCM
    • then enable autoRCM in hekate
  • then finally restore my saves
Anyway, since you have a 3.0 switch, also be aware that SX OS can't protect your cartridge port "fuses" (this requires the custom "nogc" kip, which can only be loaded by CFW like Hekate/ReiNX/RajNX, and SX OS can't) as I stated in my earlier post. I personally never had to worry about this (since I had 4.1.0 stock, which is cart v2 just like 5.1.0), but if cart v3 ever comes out, I'd probably switch to something with nogc (like RajNX/ReiNX), and hope they have XCI loading by then (otherwise I'd have to get a lot of games again as NSPs).
Most jigs seem to not be 100% reliable.

bundat

¿
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Most jigs seem to not be 100% reliable.

If you are talking about those eBay jigs that look like they are made out of paperclips stuck in someone's 3d print, then yeah, I've heard those are hit-or-miss, and quite a few people have had problems with most of those.

But I've heard SX pro's jig is one of the best out there (and mine certainly works 100% of the time).

There's also this jig, which is supposedly good as well:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/best-quality-rcm-jig.512674/

Last edited by bundat,

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you are talking about those eBay jigs that look like they are made out of paperclips stuck in someone's 3d print, then yeah, I've heard those are hit-or-miss, and quite a few people have had problems with most of those.

But I've heard SX pro's jig is one of the best out there (and mine certainly works 100% of the time).

There's also this jig, which is supposedly good as well:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/best-quality-rcm-jig.512674/
Yeah my eBay one doesn't fit in my switch unless I force it, which I'm afraid to do. I use autorcm anyway tho, so idc.

Plex7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Go , read and and download RajNX..............

Hey Stone-D, been trying to figure out how to Private Message you but I don't see the option on here, maybe because I'm new. What's the difference between TegraRcmGUI and TegraRcmSmash? To install RajNX, I need TegraRcmSmash according to the thread.

I could just use the SX Pro jig for everything right? Don't feel like making one. I rather wait.

Stone-D

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Hey Stone-D, been trying to figure out how to Private Message you but I don't see the option on here, maybe because I'm new.
I'm new as well and haven't had a reason to use that feature. Found it by going to the user's profile page then clicking the "Interact" dropdown on the right. I don't know of an easier/more convenient way.

What's the difference between TegraRcmGUI and TegraRcmSmash? To install RajNX, I need TegraRcmSmash according to the thread.
TegraRcmGUI is a friendly user interface to TegraRcmSmash, which is a console application. TegraRcmGUI also comes with a super useful way to mount your Switch as a USB device. I use that a LOT.

I could just use the SX Pro jig for everything right? Don't feel like making one. I rather wait.
Yep. Bonus: it's one of the best jigs available, in terms of reliability and minimal chances of damaging your rail pins.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto