1. PEVOx

OP PEVOx GBAtemp Regular

Italy
    I've just moved some games from my PC to my external HDD formatted in NTFS (in the root directory). When I connected my external hard drive to the Switch dock I can't see any games in the SX OS menu. Why? What can I try?

2. andyhappypants

United Kingdom
    Try Exfat. I dont think NTFS is supported. Also SXOS only supports .xci loading from USB.

3. soaresden

soaresden GBAtemp Regular

France
    For me it's Exfat, but Splitted works (xc0, xc1 etc)

andyhappypants likes this.
  4. Xtwizted

Xtwizted Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Are your games in XCI or NSP format? XCI goes in the root of the folder, NSP go either in the SXOS or SWITCH folder, I am sorry I don't have my system here to double check which one.

5. username23bob

username23bob GBAtemp Regular

United States
    i could never get sx to read games from my drive either... i just figured my drive wasn’t supported. this was about a year ago tho

6. jammybudga777

jammybudga777 GBAtemp Addict

pretty sure you need a y-cable for you hard drive unless its got its own power supply. and the hard drive has to be exfat i think. the games go on the root of it which only xci files work i think.

7. mikefor20

mikefor20 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    You tried I guess. SXOS is not NTFS compatible (right) but you can have XCI files in the SD card as well..... SXOS is only compatible with FAT32 and ExFAT.. ExFAT is unstable and causes data loss in certain scenarios so format your SD cards to FAT32. But FAT32 doesn't support files over 4GBish so you have to split them. (see next quote) The HDD doesnt seem to have a stability issue because it's pretty much read only so i use ExFAT on my HDD to avoid splitting files. No corruption yet...

This is because FAT32 can't support files over 4GB... Use XCI splitter to cut in to multiple pieces (xc0 xc1 xc2 etc etc)...

https://gbatemp.net/threads/xci-cutter-tool-windows.504818/

The SXOS fileDIR structure is as follows..
    /sxos/updates

/sxos/dlc

/switch/updates

/switch/dlc

/sxos/games

/sxos/xci

/sxos/nsp

/sxos

/switch/games

/switch/xci

/switch/nsp

/switch

USB or SD doesn't matter. These are the folders SXOS scans.

You may need a Y-Cable, an AC powered Hub or a AC powered HDD.. The USB standards on the Switch are not up to standard. What a piece of shit. Dammit NINTYYYYY! (KHANNN! FISTS IN THE AIR)

Last edited by mikefor20, Dec 19, 2019
    PEVOx likes this.
  8. Xtwizted

Xtwizted Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I don't know if this is true, I run a 2tb hard drive direct to the Switch without having the charger hooked up to it. It works fine this way. I also tried it with a powered USB hub and there was no difference as far as hard drive reading times.

9. mikefor20

mikefor20 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    The Switch's power profile for the USB (and everything else ;P ) is fucked up. People report actually burning out the USB port rendering it useless!
    I ran a 2TB WD Essentials directly off the USB port in the dock from the day USB loading was a thing until 3 months ago. I use the same drive on my PS4. I also used to go directly to the Switch with an OTG cable when out and about. Other than a few audible clicking noises no issues. That's how it goes though, no issues until there is an issue. I picked up a powered USB hub and the clicking stopped. The Switch wasn't supplying enough power. You can pick a self powered USB drive. Or a Y-Cable connected to the dock to get enough power as well..

Your drive will probably work if connected directly but it may be stressing the console. I think the Switch it too expensive to risk it but its your call.

10. PEVOx

OP PEVOx GBAtemp Regular

Italy
    ExFAT shouldn’t be a problem for Windows, right? Because I use my HDD also for movies, photos and other files on PC...

11. rmorris003

rmorris003 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    You will be fine as Windows reads it.

PEVOx likes this.
  12. lordelan

lordelan GBAtemp Psycho!

Germany
    NTFS is definitely the reason. Only exFAT (and most likely FAT32 as well) are supported.
    Using exFAT is fine though. The issues it has on sd cards in the Switch are not really present on the HDD so go with this:
    mSD: FAT32
    HDD: exFAT

PEVOx likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - External, Games,