Hacking SX Brickcode is Worse Than Expected, Can Trigger From Use

Dan-the-Rebirth

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Mentioning the 15years team xecuter is in the business and how trustworthy they are is like saying let's play the new rare game renember who good there N64 games where?

Reactions: ByteBite

AcktCC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
stealing code from other devs .... that's bad real bad!

but stealing games ... sure no problem nothing wrong with that though. :yayswitch:

Xiphiidae

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
A respected scientist would never publish a headline first and then tell people to wait for his paper to be published. It will always be publish the paper first.
Scientists often present snippets of their work (all as work keeping people updated on work they're doing at the moment) at conferences before their work is published in journals.

DeuX

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Scientists often present snippets of their work (all as work keeping people updated on work they're doing at the moment) at conferences before their work is published in journals.

But they don’t go and say that the world will explode just to publish the full research saying that if someone manages to get a nuclear warhead into the earth core, it can explode the planet

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I would've preferred this thread to just be a list of things to avoid doing to mitigate the risk as much as possible. It's not very helpful if the only advice is don't buy TX stuff, especially when no regular user has even experienced a brick it will be hard to convince people of anything. Kinda like when bans were predicted and no one really listened until the wave actually started.

DeuX

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
I would've preferred this thread to just be a list of things to avoid doing to mitigate the risk as much as possible. It's not very helpful if the only advice is don't buy TX stuff, especially when no regular user has even experienced a brick it will be hard to convince people of anything. Kinda like when bans were predicted and no one really listened until the wave actually started.

Just make a NAND backup (you should have one anyway even if you don’t have the SX) and use the SX as it was intended. Don’t try to tamper with it and you’ll be fine

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Don’t try to tamper with it and you’ll be fine
I feel that this is an assumption and there could be circumstances, however rare, that could cause issues. I'd like to think one could simply contact TX and get it resolved, but if they then accuse the customer of tampering then that presents a sticky situation.

Last edited by subcon959,
Reactions: Deleted User

Sgt. Lulz

Beef up
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
stealing code from other devs .... that's bad real bad!

but stealing games ... sure no problem nothing wrong with that though. :yayswitch:
No one ever said anything about stealing games. What's absolutely abhorrent is the "us vs. them" mentality TX fanboys have been showcasing ever since it came out. Decrying legitimate, non-partisan informational tweets and writeups on the pretense of "THEY'RE TRYING TO TAKE THE FREE GAMES AWAY FROM US" is just missing the point altogether.

Putting brick code in several parts of your CFW isn't "defending your hard work", it's being scornful and only serves as a threat to developers trying to RE their CFW.
Stealing parts of open source code without attribution isn't "giving the community what they want" or "okay because it's open source, so that makes it okay to steal", it's leeching off the community's work.
You can use SX OS if you want, but adamantly trying to defend and justify their actions when the only thing they're after is lining their own pockets and undermining the rest of the community to maximize their profits is repugnant.

kramer987

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good luck having your Switch bricked when SX pushes a faulty update to their OS. More likely to happen than not.

iits called assumption of risk. I owe SX nothing and they owe me nothing. if my switch is bricked I'll be forced to learn my lesson as they say. and by then I'll just buy a very cheap used switch if there's still any desire in me to use one. very simple.

Reactions: DarkIrata

AcktCC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
No one ever said anything about stealing games. What's absolutely abhorrent is the "us vs. them" mentality TX fanboys have been showcasing ever since it came out. Decrying legitimate, non-partisan informational tweets and writeups on the pretense of "THEY'RE TRYING TO TAKE THE FREE GAMES AWAY FROM US" is just missing the point altogether.

Putting brick code in several parts of your CFW isn't "defending your hard work", it's being scornful and only serves as a threat to developers trying to RE their CFW.
Stealing parts of open source code without attribution isn't "giving the community what they want" or "okay because it's open source, so that makes it okay to steal", it's leeching off the community's work.
You can use SX OS if you want, but adamantly trying to defend and justify their actions when the only thing they're after is lining their own pockets and undermining the rest of the community to maximize their profits is repugnant.

yes but complaining and fear mongering is not helping the community. if devs truly want to help those who have yet to purchase SX OS, then come up with an alternative solution.
instead of spending time trying to crack SX OS, why not develop your own loader? if that is too hard, then you have to give TX credit.
they are the first to come up with a functional product and therefore it is their choice to do whatever they want, no matter how reprehensible their actions are.

mikey420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this guy needs to let it go. no one cares. and nothing is going to happen to anyone's switch.
Totally disagree. They've stolen code and implanted malicious content into it and are now selling it for a profit. They are in violation of tons of licence agreements for said code. They are dancing around the subject and giving nothing answeres. (Also brick code does indeed accidently trigger.... This is fact....) If you want to keep using possibly damaging software feel free I'll simply use the open source puplic tools that are known to be free of malicious content. Of course I never intended to buy anything from this group when I found out it's not even the original xecuter crew. Surprised they even actually delivered a real product..... Albiet loaded with stolen and malicious code...

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

yes but complaining and fear mongering is not helping the community. if devs truly want to help those who have yet to purchase SX OS, then come up with an alternative solution.
instead of spending time trying to crack SX OS, why not develop your own loader? if that is too hard, then you have to give TX credit.
they are the first to come up with a functional product and therefore it is their choice to do whatever they want, no matter how reprehensible their actions are.
Functional product based on stolen work*

Axido

Maker of TRASLApp
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
They are in violation of tons of licence agreements for said code.

How many licence agreements is a ton of licence agreements? One or two?

It amuses me how those discussions always turn irrational for the sake of defending the own view.

Btw, I don't want to add an opinion to this. I better stay out of this war of fanboys. But it's nice to watch.

Last edited by Axido,
Reactions: benecol and cearp

leerpsp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Totally disagree. They've stolen code and implanted malicious content into it and are now selling it for a profit. They are in violation of tons of licence agreements for said code. They are dancing around the subject and giving nothing answeres. (Also brick code does indeed accidently trigger.... This is fact....) If you want to keep using possibly damaging software feel free I'll simply use the open source puplic tools that are known to be free of malicious content. Of course I never intended to buy anything from this group when I found out it's not even the original xecuter crew. Surprised they even actually delivered a real product..... Albiet loaded with stolen and malicious code...

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Functional product based on stolen work*
I fell the same way if i knew all of this before i payed for my key i would not have payed for it and would have waited longer for the free stuff, But I did get the code and it does let me play my games so because i payed for it sadly i'm gonna use it although i'm gonna hold off on any updates that they come out with to make sere there is no bricks from a miss trigger though.

benecol

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Good, let's assume that the brick code exists, that the normal user is not able to run it accidentally. Can the next system update from Nintendo do this? Can new firmware from Nintendo modify the SX so that it "thinks" that it is a hacking attempt and will crash the system?

Reactions: aut0mat3d

leerpsp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good, let's assume that the brick code exists, that the normal user is not able to run it accidentally. Can the next system update from Nintendo do this? Can new firmware from Nintendo modify the SX so that it "thinks" that it is a hacking attempt and will crash the system?
I did not ever think of that but yes that is true they can push an update out that would trigger it as soon as you boot the cfw.
They should just remove the brick code really.

SodaSoba

‿︵‿︵‿︵ヽ(°□° )ノ‿︵‿︵‿︵‿
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not defending tx here but we haven't seen 1 report of bricking outside of Devs trying to de-obfuscate tx stolen code and triggering it purposefully, that's not to say it won't happen.

Any ethics are left at the door with a piracy group if they don't care about stolen games they sure as shit aren't going to be bothered about violating and licenses.

I like that they've decrypted the sxos, we can find out more about it this way. I'd imagine a backup loader would of been possible long before tx released theirs but again ethics means the greedy will cash in on what the masses want, hell even sxos minus the "brick code" would be cool.

They keep banging on about this bricking issue but in the same posts saying you can decrypt it with
Code:
WANNA PLAY :)

I did buy sxos I've played a few backups it works ok it does what I need, as soon as there is a open source backup loader I'll probably move to that.

Reactions: cearp

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Y @ YuseiFD: :creep: