Hacking SX Brickcode is Worse Than Expected, Can Trigger From Use

ultramario1998

no woof tipsic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Prove us wrong by doing this what the developers didnt intend you to do with this"

I'm not a fan of the brick code myself but they should just add an asterisk everywhere and a footnote that all their bricks are triggered through *unintended use*
You think that's going to matter at all? They've shown they don't care about principle or adding footnotes; if they did they'd at least have paid attention to the licenses of the code they stole.

Reactions: I_doTinySoldering

devpanda

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
You think that's going to matter at all? They've shown they don't care about principle or adding footnotes; if they did they'd at least have paid attention to the licenses of the code they stole.

I'm talking about hexkyz. He told us to "feel free and run "data_80000000.bin" *manually* through hekate. Why would a normal user do that? Can that file be executed while I play backups through SX OS?

Reactions: Kioku

tivu100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That brick code is there for a reason and it got demonstrated when other people get bricked then I'll get back to you on that. Principle means nothing if the product your selling loses value b/c it was stolen for free usage . Atmosphere wont have backup support
In itself. Not that some people wouldn't develop it. It has the same inevitable feel just as open source code got stolen.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I'm talking about hexkyz. He told us to "feel free and run "data_80000000.bin" *manually* through hekate. Why would a normal user do that? Can that file be executed while I play backups through SX OS?
It's not jsut certain file you need to run to trigger the brick. It's the conditions that trigger the brick code which hexkyz promised to write up to explain how it can be triggered by normal use than expected

Last edited by tivu100,

ultramario1998

no woof tipsic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, that remains to be seen, of course. I'm not hexkyz, I don't know exactly what their payload does. Supposedly, this Big Writeup will answer all.

However, I'd trust the person who owns an IDA license over people with less than no evidence.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an SX Pro on the way and ordered the license last night and been playing away with it. All my backups work and no complaints. I could care less about T-X putting brick code in their payload. I could care less if Atmosphere has brick code in their CFW. Since there's only one, confirmed, report of a brick (caused by tampering with their software) out of over 100,000 installs, not going to worry about it in the least.

Meh, still not worth it.

I can answer that! And the problem is: Backup loader.

Imagine if a open source solution came before tx... No one would be talking about tx nor using their products, it would have been a huge win for the community devs.

I don't see that happening, TBH, but one can hope.

Last edited by the_randomizer,
Reactions: DeslotlCL

datahoarder

Organized.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I keep seeing a number of people coming up with this "point", yet, aside from one obvious TX shill, I've seen more "fanboys" of this developer then of TX. You guys are just upset that we aren't coming out in arms against TX based solely on the blatant fearmongering from someone who openly hates, and is openly trying to steal the product of a specific company.

If this respected developer actually has something, if he has proof that SX Os can just out of the blue brick switches on normal use, yeah things will change, many of us probably will dump it. But so far all I'm seeing is a blatant smear campaign from someone who openly hates the company who's product he is decrying.

And I'm going to again reiterate a point many have already made. Why waste so much time trying to crack an OS that's so allegedly dangerous, rather than using the same time and effort to make an alternative? People want backup loaders, it's the primary reason most people outside of homebrew communities like this one even hack consoles. If SX OS is so dangerous, and these devs care so much to protect us, then why keep fiddling with the allegedly timebomb laden option, rather than working on a bomb-free alternative?

And don't even bother with the "but they'd be associated with piracy" stuff, as it's more than easy to release it anonymously.

“Free stuff. Gimme mah free stuff. Don’t waste your time on research. Develop alternatives because it makes sense FOR MAH FREE STUFF (otherwise it totally doesn’t make sense to research and stuff.) DUH. btw did I mention I cant’t program?”

DON’T TALK BAD ABOUT MY FREE STUFF ENABLER. EVER. IGNORE THE BRICK CODE.
because.
Did I mention free stuff that I paid for to get free stuff?

Last edited by datahoarder,

Gren22

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you know that TX charging only for back up loader feature ? You can use SX OS for home-brew freely like atmosphere does, so even thought they used it but still they are not charging. They have created a new feature that does not exist in Atmosphere and asked us to pay for it in order to implement and also to get support (paying money for premium service) for OS in future updates, so its not just one time development and already they released 2 updates. Well you could say they might have used some research and few bits from that (mostly these days everyone make use of others research in some way to build rather reinventing the wheel, thats how the world works today), but does not mean its just complete copy.

They are charging for back up loader, and if its easy to replicate then already we should have open source back up loader by now based on atmosphere research which could have hunted TX more than making people to be worried about using SX OS. It would have been better if atmosphere developers shared detailed write up first to prove what they are talking rather just some random bits every few days.

TX is shady we know, and only way to hurt them right now is to make a free open source back loader or just release detailed analysis of SX OS like how it might affect users in regular usage. Even the people who are saying have reputation doing good work for community before but they will not get free passes to believe whatever they say unless proven. Right now TX has kept what they promised with SX OS for the people who paid, and have not got any bricks. Lets see what the write up from atmosphere developers have, and then decide who is right.
Please do share where I can install SX OS without a license without my switch getting bricked

Phoenixx2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
“Free stuff. Gimme mah free stuff. Don’t waste your time on research. Develop alternatives because it makes sense FOR MAH FREE STUFF (otherwise it totally doesn’t make sense to research and stuff.) DUH. btw did I mention I cant’t program?”

DON’T TALK BAD ABOUT MY FREE STUFF ENABLER. EVER. IGNORE THE BRICK CODE.
because.
Did I mention free stuff that I paid for to get free stuff?

Naturally, even after pointing out that I could not care less about TX and am not pleased with their product, I still get someone spewing verbal diarrhea implying I'm somehow defending something. Said it before, I will say it again. I do not care about TX, or the TXos. I use it for what I can, and the moment something better comes along I'll jump ship. My issue is people like this allegedly respected dev fearmongering and running an obvious smear campaign.

Because until he presents something tangible, that's all this is.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Someone email tx about the brick code before and tx mentioned 100k, it does seem like a inflated estimate to me too.

EDIT; Can't find the image hopefully someone will post it below

Yeah, probably bs. No scene is that large, especially such a new one.
The 100K install-base was referenced in this e-mail in response to the brick code being first discovered.
20180625_100144-jpg.133251
One thing to note is they don't specify whether 100K people PAID for SX OS, just that 100K people DOWNLOADED SX OS which are 2 different interpretations.

P4RI4H

Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Dude... Nobody cares (except for the people who want a crack).
Is that any reason not to post this relevant post here for the 1 in a million chance of brick if not cracked, DUDE? Not to mention, that this information makes this entire post now irrelevant, DUDE.

Take your salt elsewhere. Pirate the pirates. And yes, I bought the SX Pro, but I like seeing the hack process and work towards freedom.

Last edited by P4RI4H,

P4RI4H

Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Ok, how many SX OS users have been bricked by accident without tempering with the code?

Still accepting answers!

None? thought so.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Probably never will be. But I do have pretty shitty luck if I'm being honest. And so what if I like to play in thunderstorms. Lol

Nasha004

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gibraltar
I’m kinda new to this but the verge made an article with tx defending themselves, they called it a “harmless cat and mouse game” with the hackers. Idk if I can link it?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Click on your profile pic in the top right corner, and you'll get the profile menu popup, with... +2