Hacking Switchroot Android issues

britain4

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I think this is the right place for this but if not please feel free to correct.

I've got 2 SD cards I've been using to experiment with Android 10 on my Switch. I installed it on my 64gb SD card with no issues at all partitioning using Hekate so went on to do the same on my main 256gb SD card.

After doing all of this (which took all night to transfer the backed up files back to the SD card) I've discovered that resizing the main FAT32 partition in Minitool, for emuNAND (shared between Android and SXOS), breaks the Android partition - the "flash Android" option in Hekate becomes greyed out and existing installations stop booting.

The strange thing is that even after wiping and re-partitioning the card in Hekate I now can't get Android to start at all on either SD card. The existing Android install on my 64gb card stopped working after resizing the main partition and now neither card will even load TWRP even after reformatting several times.

I'm just in the process of zeroing out the 64gb card (which at the current rate will probably take a few more hours) and starting again exactly as I did first time when it worked 100% fine but has anyone had this issue before or can chime in with any suggestions? If it turns out to be a partitioning issue I'd consider switching permanently to AMS and getting rid of my SXOS files entirely so I can do all my partitioning in Hekate.

Last edited by britain4,

Basketto

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Using hekate, the first step you need to do before literally anything is setting the sliders to allocate space.
Resizing partations can only be done with 1-2 gigs available in horizon maximum.
Moving the sliders once you have android user data or installed nsps/large amounts of horizon data is just going to cause you many problems.

britain4

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Using hekate, the first step you need to do before literally anything is setting the sliders to allocate space.
Resizing partations can only be done with 1-2 gigs available in horizon maximum.
Moving the sliders once you have android user data or installed nsps/large amounts of horizon data is just going to cause you many problems.

Thanks for the reply - I’ve already tried that with a completely clean SD card, zeroed out, allocated the space in Hekate and still black screen when loading TWRP. The flashing in Hekate reports as being successful but then reboots to a black screen.

At this point being an SX Core Erista console I can’t really see what could be causing it after zeroing out two entire SD cards and partitioning from scratch so it seems to be to be a bug in either the current Switchroot Android 10 build or Hekate?

Basketto

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Thanks for the reply - I’ve already tried that with a completely clean SD card, zeroed out, allocated the space in Hekate and still black screen when loading TWRP. The flashing in Hekate reports as being successful but then reboots to a black screen.

At this point being an SX Core Erista console I can’t really see what could be causing it after zeroing out two entire SD cards and partitioning from scratch so it seems to be to be a bug in either the current Switchroot Android 10 build or Hekate?

Try reformatting the sd card using GUIformat FAT32,
If you want to try a new build, switchroot reddit has one available that is recent, & youtube has multiple.
They arent hard to find. See how you go.
Id try flashing with the minimum required files first aswell. Basically switchroot & bootloader folders. You DO need to copy the bootloader folder from your build, it contains an android ini file required to boot.

britain4

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
If you want to try a new build, switchroot reddit has one available that is recent, & youtube has multiple.
Id try flashing with the minimum required files first aswell. Basically switchroot & bootloader folders. You DO need to copy the bootloader folder from your build, it contains an android ini file required to boot.

Thanks - I've seen the stuff on the Switchroot reddit, I think that's where I found this Github repo with an updated build every few days GitHub - daviiid99/LineageOS-Switch-T210: LineageOS 17.1| Android 10.x builds for Nintendo Switch

I'll try GUIformat - I do use FAT32 but Paragon partition manager most of the time I think. Just odd it worked fine and then decided not to any more despite reformatting the card

britain4

OP
Trophies
XP
Country

I’ve managed to get this working thanks to the formatting tip, one of the following fixed it - Hekate 5.5.4, the official Switchroot 10 build, formatting using the official SD formatter and then GUIformat.

Reactions: Basketto

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For future reference, if you messed things up because of messing with partitions and want to start from scratch, first remove all partitions! Make sure it is just a single fat32 partition, then let nyx to all of the formatting/partitioning from there. It'll save you a lot of headaches.

britain4

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
For future reference, if you messed things up because of messing with partitions and want to start from scratch, first remove all partitions! Make sure it is just a single fat32 partition, then let nyx to all of the formatting/partitioning from there. It'll save you a lot of headaches.

Yeah thanks - I think it was a formatting issue but I had tried wiping the partitions and even zeroing out the whole drive with no success, I think it was the GUIformat tool that fixed it in the end so thanks for that

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: @Xdqwerty, Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! is the Japanese version of the game, different... +1