Switching Wiis, How to keep wiiware

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by samyswiny2, Mar 9, 2010.

Mar 9, 2010
  1. samyswiny2
    OP

Newcomer samyswiny2 Member

Australia
    My wii recently had a defective laser and has been playing up a bit in other areas. We are trading it in for a new black wii. Is there anyway to keep the wiiware and virtual console games and any other things bought?
    Would you just save them onto an SD card?
    Also can save data be distributed with the use of an SD card also?

Thanks

2. DKAngel

Member DKAngel GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    the bought items are locked to the wii they are on

3. roku93

Member roku93 GBAtemp Fan

Finland
    Easiest way would be to pack them as wads and install to the other console. This however is equal to downloading them from the internet. Best way would be to make a nand dump with bootmii and convert it to the new console if they have same boot1 version. This clones everything on your old wii to the new one and the change should be seamless. However, this is a little more heftier process than the first one, and in the end you don't gain a lot.

4. resincake

Member resincake GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    hi Sammy, this is nothing to do with your original question, as I believe the above 2 replies have answered that adequatelly. I thought I'd post here as I saw you were trading in a Wii with a defective laser, for a black Wii, and thought before you did that you should know that most (if not all?) black Wii's have the new d-2 drive in them, which cannot read any backup discs, so if you play mainly backups this will not be any different than your original Wii (you can still use USBLoader on both however.)

I dont know if you were aware of that, or if its even relevant to yourself, but I figured it was the gentlemanly thing to at least point this out, in case you didn't know and you were hoping to play dvd-r's on it.

5. Slimmmmmm

Member Slimmmmmm GBAtemp MoNkEeE

United Kingdom
    If I was you I'd get Triiforce and put the WiiWare/VC into that, it's not tied to 1 console.
    It has many other great features like putting the saves for the WW/VC onto SD/USB so saving valuable nand space.

If you do this then when you get your new wii you just plug in the SD/USB and everything should work as it does on your old Wii.

uLoader also allows this plus game saves form disc based games can go onto SD/USB too.

You would still need to backup your saves/miis/ and any important messages. If you have bootmii then make a nand dump and using ShowMiiWads you can extract and move all of this to another Wii but it's not too complicated.

Anyway the real reason I posted was to suggest you just get a new drive for your old Wii, they are very cheap and quite easy to fit (2 ribbon cables and about 6 ? screws iirc)
    I'm only suggesting this because I'm guessing your old wii has a vunerable boot1 and so can install bootmii to boot2 which is priceless imho. If you do decide to replace the drive you'll need a triwing screw driver but they are only about $1 or close to that.

If it was me I'd just replace the drive.

6. resincake

Member resincake GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I totally agree, thats great advice. Believe me, if you do trade your Wii for a black one, you'll no doubt wish you had taken our advice, at some point. It's upto you, but you'll be quite limited if you do the trade.

Either way, good luck with it .. :>

7. Dante Wolfe

Newcomer Dante Wolfe Member

United States
    Use TriiForce or SNEEK never worry about them it again [​IMG]