Hacking Switching to new 3ds, what exactly do I need?

Lunatics

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I'm looking to finally make the switch to my new 3ds with the latest GW update. I want to make sure I am prepared for it and have everything I need. I plan on buying a Sky3ds to use the OoT or Cubic exploit to install the gateway one so I never have to use the sky again, hopefully.

What exactly will I need aside from this to switch over? Is it possible to copy my saves and everything from my current DS over? Can I back up my emunand on my current ds and reload it on the new one or not since they are different generation DS's? Will it matter one is NA and one is AUS?

GaaraPrime

Trophies
XP
Country
India
First and FOREMOST you'll need a New 3DS at v9.2 or lower. If you can't get that, don't even bother thinking about getting anything else.

jason90

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
First and FOREMOST you'll need a New 3DS at v9.2 or lower. If you can't get that, don't even bother thinking about getting anything else.

And as someone who ordered a n3ds xl from amazon i would say avoid all major online retailers as alot are reporting 9.4,i think it's becoming more difficult to find ones <9.4 now

Adeka

Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You only need to use CN/OoT once now. You can setup the mset exploit and sell your copy of OoT/CN (you should keep it if your going to play ds games since playing them removes mset exploit)

dkabot

Better With Others' Systems Than Their Own
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I'm looking to finally make the switch to my new 3ds with the latest GW update. I want to make sure I am prepared for it and have everything I need. I plan on buying a Sky3ds to use the OoT or Cubic exploit to install the gateway one so I never have to use the sky again, hopefully.

What exactly will I need aside from this to switch over? Is it possible to copy my saves and everything from my current DS over? Can I back up my emunand on my current ds and reload it on the new one or not since they are different generation DS's? Will it matter one is NA and one is AUS?

Based on "my" I assume you already have it and it's <= 9.2.
Gateway and Sky to install is all you need unless you want a bigger MicroSD for the internals of your N3DS.
You cannot backup and restore EmuNAND onto different systems.
You can use SaveDataFiler to move saves around, provided your O3DS is hackable (assuming so since "moving Emunand" question above)
Gateway removes region restrictions, so the US games may work. Some may not due to EU English not being the same as US english.
You can try to region swap your N3DS' EmuNAND, but be aware eShop will probably not work*. Granted, having a Gateway there's no real need to care, and it'll make all your content otherwise work normally.

*Edit: We're talking New 3DS, you can't access the eShop in GW anyway... No loss there.

Reactions: RahFah

dkabot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
(you should keep it if your going to play ds games since playing them removes mset exploit)

They updated the .nds installer to work with N3DS and the entry point doesn't go away if you use DS games. Though, if you can it'd be good to keep the Sky around anyway just in case.

Lunatics

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm going to keep the sky3ds as my girlfriend has a 3ds xl and currently we share my gateway. I will end up using the gateway for myself since I try to play online more than her, granted I don't even know if that works atm with new 3ds's. Thanks for the information, I will be ordering a sky today and once I do what I can with transferring my saves and games I will probably try and sell my 4.5 ds to make up for buying the sky.

dkabot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can play games online just fine, it's just eShop you can't use. Game updates can be installed as CIAs like anything else.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.