Switching to Linux

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Danny600kill, Jan 6, 2010.

Jan 6, 2010

Switching to Linux by Danny600kill at 10:04 PM (1,304 Views / 0 Likes) 17 replies

1. Danny600kill
    OP

Member Danny600kill xD

United Kingdom
    Ok I finally decided that I am going to switch to Linux [​IMG]

I've been studying Ubuntu for a while now and I ready for the move, I've backed up all of the file I want on a External Hard-drive and I'm about to download Ubuntu but then i thought, are there any other Linux based OS' that are as good as or better than Ubuntu.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Please if you do give a suggestion could you add a explanation of why this is good and the official site so I can have a look.

Thank You

P.S I'm on Vista now and I just don't like it, I did like XP but Linux seems the way to go. ( Windows 7 doesn't take my fancy )

2. XWolf

Member XWolf GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    I would recommend trying a few flavours of linux. I had Ubuntu but now on Mint 8.

Go to: www.pendrivelinux.com

Make a usb linux key - or just use Live CDs - then you can try before you install.

3. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    I would recommend Kubuntu instead of Ubuntu. It's based off of Ubuntu, just uses KDE graphical environment instead of Gnome.
    http://www.kubuntu.org/

4. XWolf

United Kingdom
    It's personal preference. I prefer Gnome over KDE. Some people prefer yet a different one (like Enlightenment).

5. BlackDave

Member BlackDave Official GBATemp "Cleanup Guy"

United States
    Yeah um unless it's a desktop and you have a router or modem next to it.....

good luck with the wireless drivers.... [​IMG]

I'm Installing my Ubuntu version 64 bit JUST so I can use it with Xlink Kai (because Win 7 f***ed up the drivers and won't uninstall it) I am still stuck at the part where I have to make my drivers work

6. Jamstruth

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    Linux is the kind of thing you have on a secondary system such as a netbook or a kids PC that's just used for internet browsing in my opinion. Its simple to use but hampered by a lack of decent software that will leave you clambering for Windows again.

7. mario5555

mario5555 Newbie

I have a VM instance of Ubuntu I can boot to anytime I want if I get tired of Windows, no partitioning, no hassle, I've been really happy with it.

Go to http://www.vmware.com/ if you're interested. Heck you can do VM instances of pretty much every OS you'd want with that program, easier then partitioning and formatting all the time to install a new OS.

8. JustChillin1414

Member JustChillin1414 <3 Tiny Tina

Canada
    I would strongly suggest ubuntu over windows. Sure, the driver for the wireless card was a pain but I eventually got it to work. Just post over in the ubuntu forums and they'll help you (or even better their irc channel.) Ubuntu is about 10x faster than windows. Of course I haven't seen what windows 7 is like but basically they tried to copy mac os x. I have a computer that runs linux, it only has 256MB ram and a 1GHz cpu, and it runs internet and mail just as fast as mac os x. The only problem is running multiple programs (because of lack of ram.) I LOVE LINUX

9. Scorpei

Member Scorpei GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    Perhaps for you, but for me it is my main OS. Any application that NEEDS windows I run in Wine. If that doesn't work I still have a windows machine around. Anything available for windows you can find a good alternative in linux, mostly anyway [​IMG].

As for the topic starter, personally I prefer opensuse. It's quite easy to use, still letting you do everything you want of course as normal in linux. You might not want to use that latest opensuse install though as I hear it had some bugs but it has been out there for a while now [​IMG].

10. baffle-boy

Member baffle-boy GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    i would suggest the same distribution i use: Linux mint! it's essentially a fork (modification) of ubuntu with a nicer menu, some things to make it easier for previous windoze users and much easier access to proprietary codecs. also linux doesn't have any lack of decent programs (plus you don't have to search through IE for hours to find one that isn't a free trial [​IMG])

11. steve-p

Member steve-p GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    i use mandriva, and wireless stuff works just fine thanks.
    (unlike on xp on the same machine!)

screw windoze.
    if you need to run a windose program then install wine.
    http://www.winehq.org

i can tell you that it runs "UMDGEN" perfectly. [​IMG]

12. XWolf

United Kingdom
    Difficulty getting wireless driver to work on Linux?

Odd. The most recent versions of Ubuntu, Mint and several other Linux's have the option for Use Windows Wireless Drivers; it's in the control panel bit.

Run update or just overlay the newer distro.

OR - check your Package Manager, it'll be in there to install.

13. mkoo

Member mkoo GBAtemp Fan

Turkey
    May I recommend Pardus. It's a Turkish Made, original distro. (Not based on Ubuntu or anything else)
    With unique packet management system, unique init system for fast boot up and supports many features out of box.
    Download
    Page at DistroWatch

14. BlackDave

Member BlackDave Official GBATemp "Cleanup Guy"

United States
    I'm running Gpart (i think that's the name) to Reformat my partiotions the right way because I had a 15gb partition for Dell's recovery on the left of my Primary OS (which was Vista now Win7)

So I had to use that program (it's still running right now) so i can Partition Half of My HD for Linux (I'm starting to like it)

Edit: 300 posts [​IMG] only 200 left xD

15. TeenDev

Member TeenDev GBAtemp's Original Hipster

United States
    Personally, I have had the most success with Debian-based distributions. I've used Debian, Ubuntu (and all variants), Mint, and some other ones.

I would definitely say that Mint and Ubuntu are my favorite and work the best (for me anyway). I would recommend just getting Ubuntu and then adding on packages, changing display managers, etc. when you feel like it. Ubuntu may be the most popular consumer Linux distro today, but there is a reason for it. It's well supported.

Get *buntu.

16. piratesmack

Member piratesmack GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States

17. blitzer320

Member blitzer320 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    i would say start at ubuntu like i did but eventually when you are more in depth of linux terms and how it works you can compile your own kernel something like gentoo or arch linux

18. dark42

Member dark42 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Go with Ubuntu, install ubuntu-restricted-extras to install codecs to play many file formats.