Hacking Switching Gamepad video output?

Gamer4647

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I wonder if anybody has tried switching things up so that the TV video is on the Gamepad

It would make for a promising piece of homebrew for them squid kids out there

D

Deleted User

This MIGHT be possible. If it was, it would require a kernel exploit and some trickery with the GX2 library.
That is, assuming we can modify the GX2 library while it is in memory, if not an IOSU exploit would definitely allow us to do this. (CFW, anyone?)

Gamer4647

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
It would be cool to stream video output from the WiiU to other things like an IPad, Vita, or whatever rather than the game pad but still be able to control with the game pad.
Wikipedia states 'The GamePad's display contents are streamed as video from the console using a custom protocol and the H.264 video codec, for which the GamePad contains a hardware decoder.'

A reply to a question on quora states that a hardware decoder means 'there is a small chip on the motherboard specifically dedicated to decoding H264 video. The main A6 processor is not using or spending cycles decoding video, it has essentially outsourced that job to a highly specialized worker.'

As for software decoding, 'it's where you write and compile an application, meant to be run on a standard CPU, that will then decode the video. This is generally considered inferior, as video processing takes a lot of work, which means the CPU would take more power and time to get the same job done'

Judging by the looks of things, you might only be able to achieve this on a PC, where such software and processing power is available, and at that point, you should just use the TV as you normally do

Sources:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_U_GamePad
https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-difference-between-hardware-decoding-and-software-decoding

Last edited by Gamer4647,

Gamer4647

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Wikipedia states 'The GamePad's display contents are streamed as video from the console using a custom protocol and the H.264 video codec, for which the GamePad contains a hardware decoder.'

A reply to a question on quora states that a hardware decoder means 'there is a small chip on the motherboard specifically dedicated to decoding H264 video. The main A6 processor is not using or spending cycles decoding video, it has essentially outsourced that job to a highly specialized worker.'

As for software decoding, 'it's where you write and compile an application, meant to be run on a standard CPU, that will then decode the video. This is generally considered inferior, as video processing takes a lot of work, which means the CPU would take more power and time to get the same job done'

Judging by the looks of things, you might only be able to achieve this on a PC, where such software and processing power is available, and at that point, you should just use the TV as you normally do

Sources:
https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-difference-between-hardware-decoding-and-software-decoding

Hmmm. If this is possible :-

iPad Mini + Wii U Gamepad = 3DS XXXL :-)
No software + no dedicated chip = sorry, but no
Either that, or you can add a PC

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You do know what I replied was for something else, right?
no, he said the correct thing.
in order to put the TV display on the gamepad, you need to know where the "tv display data" (buffer) starts in memory, or else you can't move it or tell the gamepad to read that position instead of its own. that will be possible if both output were the same size.

the issue is that the TV buffer and the gamepad buffer are not the same size (different resolution) so they can't be swapped directly and will probably involve image processing.

Reactions: NexoCube

NexoCube

Trophies
XP
Country
France
in order to put the TV display on the gamepad, you need to know where the "tv display data" (buffer) starts in memory, or else you can't move it or tell the gamepad to read that position instead of its own.
the issue is that the TV buffer and the gamepad buffer are not the same size (different resolution) so they can't be swapped directly and will probably involve image processing.

Exactly.

EDIT: About the different res issue, i think a little GX2 (or avm/dc) magic should do the stuff for us.

Last edited by NexoCube,

Gamer4647

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
in order to put the TV display on the gamepad, you need to know where the "tv display data" (buffer) starts in memory, or else you can't move it or tell the gamepad to read that position instead of its own. that will be possible if both output were the same size.

I meant about this:

Sources:
It was a reply to somebody else, who was asking if video from the Wii U could be streamed to an Ipad
It was a different thing, and I was making sure that he knew that what I said was on another matter than what we're looking at

Reactions: NexoCube

NexoCube

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I meant about this:

It was a reply to somebody else, who was asking if it could be streamed to an Ipad
It was a different thing, and I was making sure that he knew that what I said was on another matter than what we're looking at

I was talking to CreeperMario aha, maybe i should have quote him :P

Gamer4647

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
libdrc exists you know, no exploit needed. ;)
"libdrc is a library for application developers who want to use the capabilities of the Wii U GamePad in their software. It also provides the ability to simulate a Wii U GamePad to communicate with a Wii U."

Uh, I don't see how this is to do with us trying to stream the Wii U TV output to the Gamepad, but ok.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkYA4rALqEE