Switch Will No Longer Power On

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories & Hardware' started by godreborn, Oct 21, 2018.

1. godreborn
    OP

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    I awoke my switch from sleep mode to check the eshop, and a message saying "a serious error has occurred. please power down the console" appeared. I did that, but now the system won't power on. the system is stock and still under warranty, but my concern is what will happen to all my saves if they just replace the unit. how often is a system even repaired?

2. mrdude

mrdude GBAtemp Fan

Dec 11, 2015
    I've had that happen when the firmware gets corrupted. Switches also have a backup firmware when this happens and can restore from that. Did you try pressing power/v-/v+ together to get into recovery mode? and try and recover from that?

godreborn likes this.
  3. Milenko

Milenko GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Oct 16, 2017
    Australia
    do you use autorcm?

godreborn likes this.
  4. godreborn
    OP

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    yeah, I tried. the nintendo logo appears randomly when pressing the system as well. hdmi is detected by the system while docked too, so I assume it's getting power.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

no, the system is stock.

5. antiNT

antiNT a.k.a Johnny El Pollo Loco

Sep 14, 2015
    Qatar
    Doha - Qatar
    Remove the battery for a few hours then put it back and let the console charge far a few hours too then try to boot it.

godreborn likes this.
  6. mrdude

mrdude GBAtemp Fan

Dec 11, 2015
    Don't do that, if it was the switch wouldn't show anything - just a black screen. It's your firmware or user data is corrupt. If you have a microsd card in the switch, remove it - and try booting into recovery as already advised.

godreborn likes this.
  7. antiNT

antiNT a.k.a Johnny El Pollo Loco

Sep 14, 2015
    Qatar
    Doha - Qatar
    Oh I didn't see they said that the Nintendo logo appears, nevermind then.

8. Milenko

Oct 16, 2017
    Australia
    checkpoint your saves and hope you dont get an ipatched replacement

9. mrdude

mrdude GBAtemp Fan

Dec 11, 2015
    Maybe you should explain to him how to do that, IE use an RCM jig, boot into CFW, how to put the files on his micro sd card, what files he needs etc.....

10. Milenko

Oct 16, 2017
    Australia
    If he can't be bothered to look up all of that then just send it in

Girtana1 likes this.
  11. godreborn
    OP

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    the system is stock, and it won't power on, so checkpoint is out of the question. plus, wouldn't Nintendo be able to detect that I had used that, then deny my claim? has anyone heard of this issue before? I saw that it was the first issue listed on Nintendo's website, so I assume that it's common. would a dead battery cause this to happen? can the system power on via the dock if the battery is dead? hdmi detects the system btw. what about a corrupted NAND? I'm thinking that it's one of those two possibilities.

12. KazoWAR

KazoWAR GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 12, 2008
    United States
    Winter Haven
    have you tried holding the power button down for like 15 seconds and trying again. my switch is a little defective and has problems powering on, it will freeze with either a black screen, or the Nintendo logo. also my system likes to crash when sleeping. when it does that i have to power cycle it a few times. hold it down for like 15 seconds to make sure its not trying to sleep but fully off.

godreborn likes this.
  13. godreborn
    OP

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    thanks, guys. I ended up shipping it back to Nintendo a few days ago. I think it's software related. I hope I don't get a patched unit, but my main concern is my saves. that's really my only concern atm. I'm not sure if I'll even enter the hacking scene with the switch, because I tend not to play games on hacked systems.

14. NintendoPowerGamer

NintendoPowerGamer Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 23, 2018
    Australia
    watch my videos on youtube. they will help u

15. chrisrlink

chrisrlink Intel Pentium III Hamster inside

Aug 27, 2009
    United States
    inside your crappy old PC
    more than likely you will 100% chance