Switch Video Output Problem

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Zhongtiao1, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Zhongtiao1
    OP

Zhongtiao1 GBAtemp Fan

Feb 24, 2015
    United States
    I just bought the switch and I cannot output to my monitor. I have an HDMI-to-VGA adapter that I have used for my android box for some time. It has worked then, but on the switch, I get an "input not supported" error. I can still get sound out of it, but no video output. I've checked and the VGA cable works fine.

foob likes this.
  2. WiiUBricker

WiiUBricker Fake News Reporter

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    Your monitor doesn't support the output resolution. Try changing the resolution in the Switch settings and see what works.

Zhongtiao1 and Xzi like this.
  3. Doctorj1

Doctorj1 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 9, 2017
    Why are you using VGA???

4. foob

foob GBAtemp Fan

Dec 26, 2007
    Could it be that the Switch's HDMI version is unsupported by your HDMI-to-VGA converter?

5. Zhongtiao1
    OP

Zhongtiao1 GBAtemp Fan

Feb 24, 2015
    United States
    Because I don't want to buy another monitor when mine works just fine

Thanks. It worked. My monitor is 720p and I assumed since it was on automatic it would work fine. All I had to do was change its output to 720p and it works.

6. linuxares

linuxares GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 5, 2007
    It would work automatically if your monitor was DVI, HDMI or Display Port. Since you got a converter it can be iffy.

7. henn64

henn64 Hey Dood

Dec 26, 2012
    Canada
    Behind You >:)
    IDK about modern monitors, but they usually don't have built in scaling like TVs do. If you feed it a higher-than-native resolution, it can't downscale to 720p by itself.