Hardware Switch V1 no USB data activity issue (everything else works - dock, charge, etc)

mvmiranda

OP
Trophies
Website
www.gamemod.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
Hello,
I have a Switch that only powered on one side of the USB C cable, stopped working on the dock and was not being recognized by the PC/dongle when entering RCM mode.

I knew this was a USB-C issue and I've done several USB swaps before.
I proceeded removing the old connector and put a brand new one
I cleaned the pads from the original solder and holes carefully, cleaned with IPA, applied new solder to the pins, cleaned again with IPA, applied new flux and soldered the connector.
Inspected with a magnifying glass and the pins above were well soldered, so I cleaned everything else and proceeded testing:
This is how it's soldered right now:
upload_2021-3-27_12-22-52.png

The console powers on both side of the USB-C cable, it works fine on the dock but I have 0 activity on the USB.
The PC and my RCM dongle does nothing when I plug the console in them.

1) I have removed and resoldered the USB-C connector a dozen times already, I even used a brand new one after my 6th failed attempt. Every time I mounted if from the top when heating from bellow and applied a "gentle" pressure to the connector before removing the hot air.
2) I have no lifted pads on the board and the board is not bent of warped.
3) The P13USB chip doesn't seem to be shorted, although I have not swapped it yet.
4) The filters next to P13USB are all fine: they have continuity from side to side.

Right now I'm out of ideas.

Does anyone else here have any clues?

Thanks!

Pintglass

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I have a Switch that only powered on one side of the USB C cable, stopped working on the dock and was not being recognized by the PC/dongle when entering RCM mode.

I knew this was a USB-C issue and I've done several USB swaps before.
I proceeded removing the old connector and put a brand new one
I cleaned the pads from the original solder and holes carefully, cleaned with IPA, applied new solder to the pins, cleaned again with IPA, applied new flux and soldered the connector.
Inspected with a magnifying glass and the pins above were well soldered, so I cleaned everything else and proceeded testing:
This is how it's soldered right now:
View attachment 254479

The console powers on both side of the USB-C cable, it works fine on the dock but I have 0 activity on the USB.
The PC and my RCM dongle does nothing when I plug the console in them.

1) I have removed and resoldered the USB-C connector a dozen times already, I even used a brand new one after my 6th failed attempt. Every time I mounted if from the top when heating from bellow and applied a "gentle" pressure to the connector before removing the hot air.
2) I have no lifted pads on the board and the board is not bent of warped.
3) The P13USB chip doesn't seem to be shorted, although I have not swapped it yet.
4) The filters next to P13USB are all fine: they have continuity from side to side.

Right now I'm out of ideas.

Does anyone else here have any clues?

Thanks!

Check that you have continunity from pins 6/7 (from Left) on the usb port to the top side of the common mode choke which is just to the left of the big cap above the usb port.
All so check the usb data pins D+ D- 6/7 for a short to ground
The PI3USB has nothing to do with the switch's usb data lines.

Last edited by Pintglass,
Reactions: mvmiranda

mvmiranda

OP
Trophies
Website
www.gamemod.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
Check that you have continunity from pins 6/7 (from Left) on the usb port to the top side of the common mode choke which is just to the left of the big cap above the usb port.
All so check the usb data pins D+ D- 6/7 for a short to ground
The PI3USB has nothing to do with the switch's usb data lines.
I'll check it...
I'm still in doubt regarding what you call "common mode choke". Are you talking about red or green in the picture below:
upload_2021-3-29_13-29-26.png

Thanks!

mvmiranda

OP
Trophies
Website
www.gamemod.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
The one in the green box
Got it...
Well, I assumed you were talking about this one and proceeded to check it.
It turns out I didn't have continuity between top and bottom of this common mode choke so I swapped it. Now I have continuity between their "poles" but I still don't get continuity from pins 6/7 to to top side of this component I just swapped.

I took a photo of one of my donor board and noticed this common mode choke connects to the middle pins of the small component below it, but on my board I don't have continuity between them.
upload_2021-3-29_14-45-44.png

I'll remove it to check the traces...

Thx so far!

EDIT:
@Pintglass, I removed the component and now I have continuity between pin 6/7 to the top of the common mode choke.
Do you know what's this component I removed?
Also, do I really need it? I've seen boards without it...

Last edited by mvmiranda,

Pintglass

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Got it...
Well, I assumed you were talking about this one and proceeded to check it.
It turns out I didn't have continuity between top and bottom of this common mode choke so I swapped it. Now I have continuity between their "poles" but I still don't get continuity from pins 6/7 to to top side of this component I just swapped.

I took a photo of one of my donor board and noticed this common mode choke connects to the middle pins of the small component below it, but on my board I don't have continuity between them.
View attachment 255042

I'll remove it to check the traces...

Thx so far!

EDIT:
@Pintglass, I removed the component and now I have continuity between pin 6/7 to the top of the common mode choke.
Do you know what's this component I removed?
Also, do I really need it? I've seen boards without it...

The 6 pin IC is a ESD protection device texas instruments TPD2E1B06 or equivalent
You can get away without using one but you obviously loose the protection the device offers.
Have you tested what resistance to ground you get on the 2 datalines at the points on the topside of the common mode choke?

mvmiranda

OP
Trophies
Website
www.gamemod.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
The 6 pin IC is a ESD protection device texas instruments TPD2E1B06 or equivalent
You can get away without using one but you obviously loose the protection the device offers.
Have you tested what resistance to ground you get on the 2 datalines at the points on the topside of the common mode choke?
I quickly assembled it and tested... it works!
I had to swap both components but it worked!

I'm getting 710 left (near the APU shielding) and 700 the other side.
Is it good or too high?

Pintglass

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I quickly assembled it and tested... it works!
I had to swap both components but it worked!

I'm getting 710 left (near the APU shielding) and 700 the other side.
Is it good or too high?

If it works then its fine, sometimes with the fault you've had it damages the usb controller in the SOC.

mvmiranda

OP
Trophies
Website
www.gamemod.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
If it works then its fine, sometimes with the fault you've had it damages the usb controller in the SOC.
You mean on the APU itself?
I have another with the exact symptom... I changed everything and know all beeps fine on continuity but it still doesn't work.
Perhaps the USB controller was damaged... well...

Pintglass

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You mean on the APU itself?
I have another with the exact symptom... I changed everything and know all beeps fine on continuity but it still doesn't work.
Perhaps the USB controller was damaged... well...

If the usb controllers damaged you usually get low resistance to ground on the datalines.

Reactions: mvmiranda

titch2k89

Trophies
XP
Country
I am having the exact same issue. no data avilable vua use. the choke and pins 6/7 connect fine im now lost and says unable to charge with 5v charger and no data connection. any ideas?

jkyoho

Trophies
Website
form.jotform.com
XP
Country
Canada
What worked perfectly? I’m having the same problem. If you read the messages, it doesn’t say what step you were on. You were about to give up and then bam! It works! Help!
OP removed the ESD filter(red box), and swapped common choke filter then have a working data lines.
Read the follow-up posts

Srg07

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Hello all.

First, excuse me for reviving a more-than-a-year old thread, but I guess this is the only one where someone managed to repair their switch.

I guess I'm having the same problem: as a summary, I had emunand, without RCM, and used to play both in SYS or in EMU depending on the game. One day, RCMloader battery was low [I guess it turned off while injecting], and other day I was charging my switch with a bad C-C cord [it became really hot and connected/disconnected on its own suddenly]. I guess one of the two sentences between brackets screwed something in my V1 switch.
The result is the same described here: I cannot inject payloads while in RCM as no device detects my switch in RCM, I cannot transfer pictures to the laptop while in SYS... so I guess my issue is the same described here.

My question is, did someone else managed to recover their switch from that state? I mean, would I be completely right if I just bring my console to any repair shop (I cannot solder such small components) and ask for the ESD filter and choke filter to be replaced?

Excuse me again for reliving the thread and thanks for your support!

Edit: I see quite new posts with similar issues. Maybe they can find useful this thread!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Loved the N64 and the PS1 at the time but Castlevania... PS1 hands down 10,000 times better...