Switch USB-C

bookedirl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,
I have a OG switch that had a bad usb-c charging port. My son dropped the game while plugged in and the usb-c port became loose. I opened it up and unsoldered what was left. Upon inspection it appears the leads on the motherboard were ripped off slightly and I'm unsure if solder will just complete the connections or if I'm SOL.

is this salvagable?

IMG_8695.jpeg

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Well it is salvageable. You can make repairs with pads like that but it isn't easy.
I've seen repairs on Switch USB-C ports that looked a lot worse on Youtube.

I would honestly check up a repair shop to do it for you.

Reactions: Vorde and SylverReZ

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,
I have a OG switch that had a bad usb-c charging port. My son dropped the game while plugged in and the usb-c port became loose. I opened it up and unsoldered what was left. Upon inspection it appears the leads on the motherboard were ripped off slightly and I'm unsure if solder will just complete the connections or if I'm SOL.

is this salvagable?

View attachment 384006
This is very much salvageable. It would require a bit of work to fix those broke pads, but it is 100% fixable. You would basically need to scrape off a bit of the solder mask on the board to expose the copper and run a short wire.

linuxares

Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
This is very much salvageable. It would require a bit of work to fix those broke pads, but it is 100% fixable. You would basically need to scrape off a bit of the solder mask on the board to expose the copper and run a short wire.
To add
You need to do a "Drop" method on a Switch. Since you can solder the pads that will be under the port. Only the backline that is damaged in this case.

Reactions: SylverReZ

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Copper wire, so like fine wire that you can easily salvage from a dead speaker.

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes exactly. Just make sure to only remove the coating from the ends. Don't want to have to worry about any bridging of connections. That could very easily fry the system seeing that this is the charge port.
A set of wire strippers or a soldering iron with a fine tip at a high temperature can easily remove the copper insulation.

bookedirl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, thanks for the replies, I think this may be out of my scope even though I do have a "blow station" that I've used for other soldering work. I will look into a repair shop that might specialize in this stuff. Are there any reputable ones online or should I source locally?

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, thanks for the replies, I think this may be out of my scope even though I do have a "blow station" that I've used for other soldering work. I will look into a repair shop that might specialize in this stuff. Are there any reputable ones online or should I source locally?
Truthfully this fix isnt that advanced. As long as the repair shop is decently reputable it should be fine.

Reactions: Vorde

linuxares

Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
You could ship it to https://northridgefix.com/

Vorde

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you're interested in learning to solder and repair things like this, I would recommending finding a donor board or a device you no longer care about and practicing on it. This is how I ended up learning at my own pace, and finishing some cool projects to boot :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: good morning everyone