Hardware Switch Suddenly Gone Extremely Slow

Jackofall

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Within the last hour my switch has gone extremely slow, both in Sysnand and CF. It struggled to load a game at all, and when it does it's like 20x longer. Even certain system settings and users take a while to load. Closing a game takes much longer to do too.

Anyone have any idea why this may be? Appreciate any help or theory.

DarknessPlay3r

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
First thought would be thermal throttling? No Data loss/corruption happening? Could also be your SD card failing if it's having issues reading/writting.

Reactions: ds34

Jackofall

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First thought would be thermal throttling? No Data loss/corruption happening? Could also be your SD card failing if it's having issues reading/writting.

I've tested it at under 35 C after a 20 min rest and that hasn't helped. Also tried booting up the console entirely without an SD card, and it was still just as slow.The SD card is definitely legit and it's been fine for about a month so far, but I believe the fact it's still slow without the SD card should be rule out the SD card?

Canna

Bad Ass Poisonous Mushroom
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've tested it at under 35 C after a 20 min rest and that hasn't helped. Also tried booting up the console entirely without an SD card, and it was still just as slow.The SD card is definitely legit and it's been fine for about a month so far, but I believe the fact it's still slow without the SD card should be rule out the SD card?
Mem failing maybe. Hard power off let it drain. Boot again.

DarknessPlay3r

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah that rules out the SD card it self, looks like it's not throttling either.

It makes me think hardware failure like Canna, was suggesting. Although maybe the NAND itself is causing issues? The fact it is slow to process commands seems like its getting stuck in a loop until it times out and moves on.

Jackofall

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah that rules out the SD card it self, looks like it's not throttling either.

It makes me think hardware failure like Canna, was suggesting. Although maybe the NAND itself is causing issues? The fact it is slow to process commands seems like its getting stuck in a loop until it times out and moves on.

I think it's highly likely it's a NAND issue from the little I know, although I've done nothing to effect it over the last few days. I think I'll try letting the battery die entirely like Canna was suggesting for now.. before looking at more extreme options.

From google searches though not many people seem to have had my problem, so it's extra concerning

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Also one extra thing. I just did a test, it took about 10 minutes to load into Animal Crossing, but once in the game was running smoothing, up until saving and closing and then it took about 10 minutes ago. So it's definitively something to do with how it's handling memory

Canna

Bad Ass Poisonous Mushroom
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Draining was to take all power out of the system, then boot. But hey was thinking the emmc myself, very unusual for this to behave in this way..

But here is your most important option right now as mentioned.

Backup your console fully right now to save you trust me. If the emmc is dying and u dont backup you have paperweight without backup..

Backup Biskeys/system keys. > with LockPickRCM Payload.
Backup rawnand (emmc) > with Hekate
Backup Boot 0 > with Hekate
Backup Boot 1 > with Hekate
Please backup all of the mentioned above. and make sure you have solid backups and even copy of the backups..

Replacement modules (Emmc Modules can be found quite easily online)
You will need to Format correctly, Use Gpt Restore payload to CorrectlySet this, and then should be able to run hekate to restore nand. May use hacdiskmount to check partitions/structure and biskeys are linked.

I wish you goodluck. NOW BACK THAT CONSOLE UP!~!!

Edit: Just a thought, you never overclocked or underclocked did you ? That i think is held on the SD card in a config, try erase sd card and install just the cfw on it. And see if its better.
If u did not or it does not work then yes its probally the Emmc, Or Ram

Last edited by Canna,
Reactions: DarknessPlay3r

1basti1

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have the same issue now.
I tried installing an update with Tinfoil USB install. I usually got ~30MB/s, now it only was 1-2MB/s and falling. I benchmarked the SD card in hekate, that was all good. Now I try to boot to atmosphere and I'm stuck at the switch logo. (I restarted before, that took also a pretty long time, but now I'm stuck. :( )

Starting Homebrew was also really slow.
I thought it's the SD card. But I don't know now...

Edit: It's the MicroSD. I tried another and it works again as it should.
I tried transfer the atmosphere folder to my PC and this was painly slow. Holy moly. Sandisk has a 5 year warranty if I'm correct. This thing was expensive. 400GB...

Last edited by 1basti1,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Ah yes Jeff Butts a reporter you can trust