RELEASE Switch Safety - XCI & NSP Verification Tool

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by TehCheez, Dec 2, 2018.

1. TehCheez
    OP

TehCheez Member

Newcomer
    Dec 18, 2014
    United States
    Today I am proud the release Switch Safety! A tool that is used to check the MD5 or Switch files and verify if they are safe.

NOTE: This application is super beta, I only have the MD5 of one game saved in the verification document right now. I am currently searching for a trustworthy person to help me edit the master document with all the verified MD5 strings. If I can't find someone soon I will release the source code (probably going to do that anyway once I'm not so tired) so someone else can take on the responsibility.

Application Details:

* Windows only
    * Retrieves the files MD5 and compares it to a verified master document hosted online
    * Allows you to browse for files
    * Progress bar (some large files can take a while to scan)
    * Will download text document to PC from trusted, online host
    * Application will display a message box letting you know if the file is safe

Screenshots:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Download: https://github.com/ThisIsCheez/SwitchSafety/releases

Edit: Posted the source code. I will not be perusing this project any further. Would be great if someone with more time picked it up.

Last edited by TehCheez, Dec 2, 2018
    PsychOsmosis, Ty_, reexe and 10 others like this.
  2. KOALAaufPILLEN

KOALAaufPILLEN Member

Newcomer
    Jun 21, 2018
    Germany
    That for sxos or as homebrew befor we install would be great and needed

3. TehCheez
    OP

TehCheez Member

Newcomer
    Dec 18, 2014
    United States
    I have zero knowledge of the Switch programming language so I won't be able to design a Switch app for this :(

Also, if there's more people like me, I never connect my Switch to the internet and an internet connection would be required to grab the master MD5 list.

Great idea, hopefully someone with more knowledge and time than me can make that happen.

4. jjbredesen

jjbredesen WarezNX Owner

GBAtemp Patron
    jjbredesen is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Feb 16, 2018
    Norway
    Hyrule
    Nice, would be good if you added signature checking for NCAs, and name to SHA256 verification.

comput3rus3r likes this.
  5. TehCheez
    OP

TehCheez Member

Newcomer
    Dec 18, 2014
    United States
    It can already do NCA files, would just have to add them to the master list. And I may add SHA256 at a later time.

6. Vadographer

Vadographer Member

Newcomer
    Nov 3, 2018
    United States
    this is amazing, the community needed something like this

7. TehCheez
    OP

TehCheez Member

Newcomer
    Dec 18, 2014
    United States
    Posted the source code. I will not be perusing this project any further. Would be great if someone with more time picked it up.

8. Rikikoo

Rikikoo Member

Newcomer
    Aug 1, 2018
    France
    Checking the name of an NCA against its hash is not useful, people can "spoof" that trivially.
    Instead he can indeed verify the signature of the NCA, and the pfs0 hash table/romfs hash tree.

tiliarou likes this.
  9. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 2, 2009
    Germany
    including updates, dlc and potentially homebrew, the list of hashes is going to be gigantic and someone basically has to safeguard it and double check.
    this might end up being problematic from a practical point of view

10. liomajor

liomajor GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 10, 2008
    United States
    The tool is just a md5 checker, there is nothing safe or verification to keep out any switch hurting file.

Why?

- The md5 has to come from a trustable source
    - It needs to be checked before getting added (someone has to risk the test if not taken from own copy!)
    - No valid check without md5
    - The md5 might not always be the same (trimmed, header patches and so on)

A valid verification would dismantle the files and check for brick code like we had for psvita!

Everyone could use their prefered tool to check md5 (also i can modify files to make it my designed md5 if wanted to!)

Last edited by liomajor, Dec 2, 2018
    tiliarou, Garou, Melon__Bread and 2 others like this.
  11. isoisoiso

isoisoiso GBAtemp Regular

Jun 16, 2018
    Niger
    Not needed after atmosphere's nand protection implementation but good anyways

12. liomajor

liomajor GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 10, 2008
    United States
    Malicious homebrew still can defeat them.

It's always best to use clean trustable files and to do everything to not endanger your console for greater justice.

13. tiliarou

tiliarou GBAtemp Regular

Feb 4, 2018
    France
    It's actually the NCA hash that would need to be verified... as is, this tool is only a MD5 verifier with auto pull from a server for correct hashes...

14. Mysuke

Mysuke Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Doesn't this tool already does that? https://gbatemp.net/download/nspverify.35153/

Would this tool give a corrupted/invalid NCA error when verifying a NSP with brick code?